The Good News Thread!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
There are many good news every day, but who cares? It's not a news that media prefer relaying bad news, and good news is rarely a news at all. Usually, good news in media are that something didn't happen, and bad news that something did happen.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are many good news every day, but who cares? It's not a news that media prefer relaying bad news, and good news is rarely a news at all. Usually, good news in media are that something didn't happen, and bad news that something did happen.

How was that Douglas Adams quote...

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
Well the landscape is finally turning green, and that abnormal 6 months of winter is finally over :hailprobe:

And, I feel happy again, because winter gives me some slight SAD, but now it's warm and I will rejoice! Thank the Probe! She makes the long winter end!

:hail:
:hail: :probe:
:hail:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Good news, in Gauteng it is now freezing cold.

Oh... wait, that's not good news. :facepalm:

Sorry guys... :p

Yes it is. I'll try to get over there if I can. It's already up to 90 F here, and will be utter misery by August.

Which is part of why it's so hard to find good news: It's hard to find news for which all of humanity will agree on its goodness.

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
Ok aside from political stuff..I will refrain. Good news? Good news is that you wake up in the morning and live to see another day. The sun will rise again tomarrow. With all that goes on in the universe I consider that to be VERY lucky and indeed good news. Not only that but I did stay in a holiday inn express lol (umm yeah that was a joke)

I found that your cheerful reply contrasted comically with your signature picture. (Giant mushroom cloud with the caption "Nuke it from orbit".)

:hail: irony! :lol::lol:

FADEC

Reaction score
There are no more bad things in the world as usual. But the difference these days is the wide range of TV channels available. Plus the internet. The media has become big. Very big. The world has become smaller due do real time information 24 hours a day from all over the world. It only makes the world seem more bad, but it is not actually. It's still the same f:censored:g place :lol:

I am noticing a monotony in the German TV news programs. Especially in the public television. It starts with: 1. Fukushima, 2. politics which is either about our nuclear phase-out or the usual problems of our coalitions (no matter who is in the office) or about the Euro and financial crisis, and last but not least, guess what, tadaaaaaaa... 3. the Middle East. Middle East just has to be in the news just for the sake to be in the news, otherwise people already would start missing something because they are used to Middle East news for years. Topic number one for years. This is followed by football, minutes of football and minutes of football (god damn aaaaarghpmprpfmhff /rant) which is followed by one good or neutral news at the end. For example: wow, singer a or b has won a price, or director a or b has made a new movie, very, very important news after violence, politics and football. It's the same pattern for month and years. Seriously, I stopped watching and reading news.

Well, I think there is a lot of good news in the life of individuals, which is more important than something else which most people have no influence on anyway I think. I have got a new nice apartment 4 weeks ago. It's an attic flat with very big attic windows. So I can perfectly use my 900mm reflecting telescope and enjoy the view. Right now it's 02:00 a.m. and the Moon just looks awesome. To bad I don't have a telescope with a camera...

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I think the only place to actually find "good news" is on CBS Sunday Morning. I'd started watching that show long ago when Charles Kuralt was hosting. I've long been a fan of Charles Osgood, so I've kept watching.
He goes over the headlines at the beginning of the show, but then it's on to their featured pieces.

As for Fox News and CNN, both networks are equally unwatchable, and for much the same reasons. If I want news I'll watch my local area channel, if I want a fair view of what's going on in America, I'll watch the BBC.

Thank you, PhantomCruiser! I've not watched CBS Sunday Morning in several years now, and I realize that I miss it. I like Charles Osgood, and he was the best of all possible successors for Kuralt, but I truly miss Kuralt. His was a special personality.

To the topic at hand: The good news is, that after a bad bout with food poisoning earlier in the week, and the cold I picked up at hospital, I'm feeling much better. Which is good, because there are missions to be flown!:)

:hailprobe:

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some good news - Barça will meet Real Madrid tomorrow in the King's Cup final and give them a beating, then go on to do the same in the Champions' semi-final in the two weeks after that.

One of four matches already played, a draw at Bernabeu.

The BBC are sure excited, and they choose the select XI of both teams from the 21st century - the Madrid team is mostly historical but the ideal Barça team is practically the same as the present starting 11:

realblog.jpg

barceblog.jpg

Full article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanstevenson/2011/04/real_v_barca_teams_of_the_cent.html

Some more good news: being smart is actually more about working and studying hard than about native brilliance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13128701

...consider a youngster who believes excellence is all about talent - labelled the "fixed mindset". Why would she bother to work hard?

If she has the right genes, won't she just cruise to the top? And if she lacks talent, well, why bother at all? And who can blame a youngster for this kind of attitude, given the underlying premise?

If, on the other hand, she really believes that effort trumps talent - labelled the "growth mindset" - she will persevere. She will not see failure as an indictment, but as an opportunity to adapt and grow. And, if she is right, she will eventually excel.

Think how often you hear children saying "I just lack the brain for numbers" or "I don't have the coordination for sports". These are direct manifestations of the fixed mindset, and they destroy motivation.

Those with a growth mindset, on the other hand, do not regard their abilities as set in genetic stone. These are the youngsters who approach tasks with gusto. "I may not be good at maths now, but if I work hard, I will be really good in the future!"

Now that's good news for everyone - even Real Madrid losers could get better if they started training and stopped whining.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
There are no more bad things in the world as usual. But the difference these days is the wide range of TV channels available. Plus the internet. The media has become big. Very big. The world has become smaller due do real time information 24 hours a day from all over the world. It only makes the world seem more bad, but it is not actually. It's still the same f:censored:g place :lol:

That's true - you literally can't turn without some media being thrust in your face. I don't own a TV, but I spend enough time on the computer where it probably doesn't matter.

I was just recently thinking back to the days prior to the internet, prior to personal computers even. Late 1970s and early 1980s. I'm hesitant to say they were better days, but the world seemed to move at a more sensible pace then. Whatever the improvements are from these technologies, there will be no putting those genies back in the bottle.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Re: the above on Real Madrid vs Barça part 2 of 4.

The bad news: Real Madrid won the cup.

The good news: