The physics of musical instruments

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I was surfing for something else and I found The physics of musical instruments. It seems very interesting to me.:cheers:

Considering that orbinauts were discussing the physics of cars and physics of spacecraft, the crazy idea of having a musical instrument simulator inside Orbiter came to my mind.:lol:

That way you could play music inside your DGIV when going to Jupiter, hoping not to break the hull as you achieve hull resonance frequency with your music.:rofl::speakcool:

Physics of of such things seems interesting...

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
Just to let you know, it's a lot harder to achieve resonance in a space craft than you think, since different materials have different resonance frequencies.

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
A line of code (or a DLL) that would detect the environment a guitar (for example ) is in, then detect if the fingers of the astronaut are touching the chords could make the job. Then should be mathematical equations for more precise values an more features like instead of simply detecting if it can play or not in the detected environment it could make different pitches and sound intensity depending on that environment. It could also (in case of the guitar) make more realistic the way how to play (you don't play guitar just by touching the chords, but grabbing them and pulling them). For the resonance on materials, you would be needed that each spacecraft or object within orbiter had something to indicate the material it's made of or some value for the equation in "GuitarDLL" know how to affect that object.

Another idea would be to actually simulate air in Orbiter in spite of that way I need the computer Skynet or HAL9000 :).

A fine simple example in pseudocode:
Code:
1-If Atmospheric Pressure > [whatever value you leave hearing a guitar] = true then gotto line 5
5-If chord1 is Colliding = true then open [whatever English people call "Dó"].midi otherwise skip line 5
6-If chord2 is Colliding = true then open [whatever English people call "Ré"].midi otherwise skip line 6
lineX- bla, bla, bla repetitive commands.
my programming language is awful ;).

Keatah

Reaction score
there will come a day

..when cpu's and systems in general will be able to understand your horrible programming skills!!:lol:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
A fine simple example in pseudocode:
Code:
1-If Atmospheric Pressure > [whatever value you leave hearing a guitar] = true then gotto line 5
5-If chord1 is Colliding = true then open [whatever English people call "Dó"].midi otherwise skip line 5
6-If chord2 is Colliding = true then open [whatever English people call "Ré"].midi otherwise skip line 6
lineX- bla, bla, bla repetitive commands.
my programming language is awful ;).
Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh! Gotos! I haven't seen them in years! Run for your lives!!!!

Keatah

Reaction score
no no no.. wait this is worse!

I had a dream where I kept thinking I was one of those spank'n new core2 things and kept this running through my head all night:

10 A=A+1
20 PRINT A
30 GOTO 10

As you can imagine this would drive anyone insane!

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
Spacecraft resonance

Actually it's a little easier than you think. If I remember correctly, back in the Apollo program, the planners had to be very careful about launches becaus the vibrations of the 1st stage rocket engines were extremely close the the resonance of the entire Saturn 5 stack.

Ark

Reaction score
I already play guitar while on long DGIV voyages. I also drink coffee, snack, and get up to go watch TV occasionally. Actually, the interior of my DGIV looks a lot like a suburban house. :)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I already play guitar while on long DGIV voyages. I also drink coffee, snack, and get up to go watch TV occasionally. Actually, the interior of my DGIV looks a lot like a suburban house. :)

Wow, those renovations must have cost a fortune! :lol:

Regarding the Saturn V vibrations: I've heard the same thing, too. My vibrations background is pretty sparse, but I suspect that the modes of vibration for something that large and rigid must be pretty low frequency. It always surprises me that we can't build rockets that don't seem to have some sort of vibrations issue... but then, maybe it's just an inherent difficulty in the task?

lowerlowerhk

Reaction score
I'd more interest in the effect of music(ie patterned sound) on brain. We are the only species that gets affected so heavily by music. For example, monkeys won't care his mate more no matter what kind of sound is played, but men will love his girlfriend more (at least temporary) when a suitable love song is played. It would be interesting if someday people can use sound to precisely control the emotion, or even behavior of others, when they worked out the principles. Imagine you will never feel lonely during a 10 year space trip, as long as a wonderful music is playing in the carbin.

Ark

Reaction score
Imagine you will never feel lonely during a 10 year space trip, as long as a wonderful music is playing in the carbin.

678441507.gif

broken-ipod.png

:)

zillion42

Reaction score
I just stumpled upon this thread. Unfortunately all I have to say is that I remember having a 1/2 year physics course during my schooltime entitled: "Die Physik der Musik Instrumente" which translates exactly to thread title.

It mostly concerend waves (wavelengths, frequencies, interference) but it was quite interesting.

enjoy :tiphat:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
It would be interesting if someday people can use sound to precisely control the emotion, or even behavior of others (...)

That's why they use music in advertisements. Also, that principle, is used in films as a way to tell viewers some informations (like the state of mind of a character or if the scene is supposed to be dynamic or static) without adding dialogue or more pictures.