OHM The Vessels of 2001 and 2010

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: bensisko

The Vessels of 2001 and 2010

Sir Arthur C. Clarke’s imagination and vision gave rise to these ships; the USS Discovery One (Discovery), Discovery II, the Grumman DC-5 EVA Pod, the Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov (Leonov), the Korolev 7K-A8 Work Pod, and the Spektr-K-Grunt IX Telemetry Satellite. We offer these vessels to compliment World of 2001 v3.11 for Orbiter 100830 P1.

Please take time to review the manual and readme for pertinent installation and operating instructions.

This update addresses issues discovered in the initial Vessels of 2001 and 2010 and Patch which include:

• Leonov ballute rendering issues in the D3D9 client
  • Leonov side bar render detail
  • UCGO error message on Leoprobe release
Gattispilot

BenSisko

DOWNLOAD

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Downloading this based on the previous work you dudes have done. So I'm looking forward to an awesome add-on suppliment. Not having Discovery and Leonov really hurts WO2001 (but it's still great). Good to see these ships in space again.

---------- Post added 07-09-14 at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-08-14 at 06:16 PM ----------

Wow! Just... Wow!
Very nice work guys. I expected excellent and that's what appears.
Just as a note, I don't know if it's just my system or what, but when loading a scenario using the D9 client it took a long while (like 30 seconds or so, you know how that is an eternity eh) loading the texture for Ganymede. Like I said, it could just be me.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.

Just FYI. There might be some issues with using other graphic engines other than the regular graphics. We noticed that only on the airbag deployment, though

Last edited:

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's odd how 2001 and 2010 just sound like years now, and not the titles of seminal science fiction works.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
PhantomCruiser,
Note the Errata page of the manual. There are animation issues with D3D9 particularly with the Leonov and the UMmu. The standard Orbiter graphics work best.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Shifty,
It's odd how 2001 and 2010 just sound like years now, and not the titles of seminal science fiction works.

Wouldn't it be nice if Arthur C. Clarke's stories were our future? We'd already be spacefaring. Capturing asteroids and terraforming planets!

ATymeson

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice addon. I love how you went the extra step to render the inside of the ships as well. And all the features just add to the immersion. I do have one bit of difficulty, though. When I try the procedure for spawning the UMMU astronaut in the pod bay for Discovery, the "`" key doesn't seem to work for opening the airlock. Do you have to hold it down or is there an additional key like "shift" or "ctrl" that needs to held down as well? Other than that, awesome addon!

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Atymeson,
When in the Discovery, keypad "9/0" toggles the site to be opened, be it Airlock, Pad A, Pad B, Pad C, or the Pod Bay workstation. Make sure you've selected the Airlock by first toggling "9/0". Airlock should be indicated in the annunciator at the upper left of your screen. Keypad "1/2" selects the crewmember for EVA and pressing "`" would release the UMmu in the airlock. If "Work Station selected" appears in the annunciator then the UMmu will be released in front of HAL in the Pod Bay when you press "`".

Ben

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks.

Just FYI. There might be some issues with using other graphic engines other than the regular graphics. We noticed that only on the airbag deployment, though

Let me explain that a little...

1. All top/down airbags are re-using the same mesh. Same with the side airbags.
2. The code duplicates the meshes and rotates them according to the position. For this rotation, MeshgroupTransform is used.
3. Unfortunately, MeshgroupTransform is not implemented in OVP. *sigh* Therefore, the undeployed airbags will not be rotated and totally wrack the view in OVP.
4. However, on jettison of the airbags, the simple mesh representation disappears, and Orbiter vessels get created.
5. Those vessels load the mesh normally and don't rotate it. Instead, the vessels themselves are rotated (which OVP of course supports).
6. Thus, after jettison of the airbags, the view is normal again.

If you want to get that right, you'll have to replace the MeshgroupTransform code with something that is supported by OVP. ATM, I can only imagine oapiEditMeshGroup as alternative, despite it is discouraged in this case:
API_Reference.pdf p.113 said:
It should not be used to apply a linear transformation to the entire group (use VESSEL::MeshgroupTransform instead), because such transformations are usually implemented by defining a transformation matrix instead of editing the vertex positions directly.

I know that it works with OVP because I've successfully used it in AscensionUltra lately.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about using attachments there with the airbags being a vessel of their own, including the inflation "animation"?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What about using attachments there with the airbags being a vessel of their own, including the inflation "animation"?

It was like that before, and it was a total mess. I also don't like the way such vessels expose all parts on F9 and in the scenario file. In addition, having compact vessels in undeployed state and only spawn new vessels on jettison is the classic way of implementing them, which I much prefer.

It is not really a question of that architecture, anyway. The problem with OVP is because of the code re-using meshes instead of having them duplicated (or even quadrupled). And of course because OVP is still not fully implemented.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It was like that before, and it was a total mess.

Sorry, but right now it reads like you replaced a small problem by a much bigger one for just feeling better about some completely secondary side effect: The inflated airbags appearing already as vessels when pressing F9 AND enabling vessel symbols; or the inflated airbags being possible camera targets.

Note that the airbags will not appear in the F3 dialog if you don't allow them to gain focus.

Was that really worth the trouble now - and is that really worth the trouble of fixing it by using EditMeshGroup for manually rotating the vertex coordinates?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry, but right now it reads like you replaced a small problem by a much bigger one for just feeling better about some completely secondary side effect: The inflated airbags appearing already as vessels when pressing F9 AND enabling vessel symbols; or the inflated airbags being possible camera targets.

Then you are misreading it. I wouldn't write "total mess" if it were only a small problem.

But hey, it is just my view of it, and if somebody comes to me for advice and even code help, I'm helping the way I can. If you have better ideas, you are free to contact gattispilot to offer your support, I am sure he will welcome it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Then you are misreading it. I wouldn't write "total mess" if it were only a small problem.

I don't see it. What is it more than either creating airbag vessels with the VESSELSTATUS2 filled with the right values so that Orbiter is attaching them automatically to the right attachments of your Lenov and detaching them by DetachChild - or telling an attached vessel to inflate via clbkGeneric, if you feel epic.

But hey, it is just my view of it, and if somebody comes to me for advice and even code help, I'm helping the way I can. If you have better ideas, you are free to contact gattispilot to offer your support, I am sure he will welcome it.

Usually he calls me first with problems I have never even thought about, but thank you. :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't see it. What is it more than either creating airbag vessels with the VESSELSTATUS2 filled with the right values so that Orbiter is attaching them automatically to the right attachments of your Lenov and detaching them by DetachChild - or telling an attached vessel to inflate via clbkGeneric, if you feel epic.

Indeed, you did not see it :rofl:.

I'll say it again: ask gattispilot for the code, he will certainly give you the opportunity to implement your preferred architecture. Perhaps you will then see what I mean.

For the given code base, the best course of action was IMHO to refactor it into the classic implementation for deployable parts, which is the way I presented. If you think the extra attach/detach mechanism makes it any better, I have to disagree. It has nothing to do with the problem at hand, which could be easily fixed by naively duplicating meshes.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can give the code to any one willing to help. FACE offfered and we accepted. The original vessel was for Orbiter 2006. So we updated the interior and pods. We also updated the airbag meshes.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For the given code base, the best course of action was IMHO to refactor it into the classic implementation for deployable parts, which is the way I presented. If you think the extra attach/detach mechanism makes it any better, I have to disagree. It has nothing to do with the problem at hand, which could be easily fixed by naively duplicating meshes.

Then fix it easily. :rofl:

And don't blame gattispilot for your problems: You are the professional there.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can give the code to any one willing to help. FACE offfered and we accepted. The original vessel was for Orbiter 2006. So we updated the interior and pods. We also updated the airbag meshes.

BTW: after I explained the OVP issue to you via PM, you never replied regarding the code changes. Did you modify the code w.r.t. my last commit?

As written above, the only change needed to make it OVP "compatible" is to use oapiEditMeshGroup instead of MeshgroupTransform, which is no trouble at all.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As written above, the only change needed to make it OVP "compatible" is to use oapiEditMeshGroup instead of MeshgroupTransform, which is no trouble at all.

You do know that oapiEditMeshGroup does not perform the same function as MeshgroupTransform?

PS: Just found the thread where you and asmi suggested a similar solution to Hlynkacg .... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
IIRC Themis-A and HCLV rotate booster meshes both in inline and d3d9 client but you'll have to ask Woo how it's done.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
IIRC Themis-A and HCLV rotate booster meshes both in inline and d3d9 client but you'll have to ask Woo how it's done.

How it is done is not the problem, I already hinted on the function that should be used. It just needs to be done.