Things that others do on the computer, that make you rage.

Keatah

Reaction score
-clicking the "Apply" button and after that "OK"

Well sometimes, I was told, that the settings don't always stick, and you need to push it a little harder by pressing both buttons. Like a post-it note, sometimes you gotta rub-it-down on the surface so it "takes"..!

As far as gaming on laptops, I wouldn't have it any other way! It's an elegant solution, and you can game anytime anyplace!

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I also rage about how IE keeps annoying you (really annoying to me since I have OCD) if you turn off the "Make My Computer Useless" security setting. I also hate it almost all commercial antivirus programs; they are extremely annoying, what with the RAM-consuming and the time-consuming "checking for viruses" and of course how it bothers you every five minutes to update.

Keatah

Reaction score
I also rage about how IE keeps annoying you (really annoying to me since I have OCD) if you turn off the "Make My Computer Useless" security setting. I also hate it almost all commercial antivirus programs; they are extremely annoying, what with the RAM-consuming and the time-consuming "checking for viruses" and of course how it bothers you every five minutes to update.

Commercial anti-virus programs *ARE* pretty much a major annoyance, they constantly interrupt your workflow and are beyond distracting! The constant updating and patching and attention required by those programs makes them pretty much useless for *me*, anyways.

I just do safe computing practices and only have virus problems when I do WaRez. But I do warez on a "just now backed-up" system, or within a VM.

ZombiezuRFER

Zaktan Zanamu, margum Zavralto
Reaction score
Even the high performance setting isn't anywhere near what you get on a desktop - even with same parts.

I just don't get why you'd buy a laptop for gaming, especially if you never move it around.
- You have a small screen.
- You have no mouse by default and a clumsy keyboard.
- The cooling system is a joke and as a result the CPU often needs to be throttled down.
- The "mobile" graphics cards are a joke.
- Even the best batteries will last only around 30 minutes when running games - so you even lose the only advantage a laptop offers over a desktop.
- The price of a laptop is much higher then the price of a same power desktop.
- They're very difficult to upgrade and very limited in upgrades.
- When buying a new laptop (to upgrade) you're forced to buy a complete package - keyboard, touch pad, screen, battery,... you can't reuse the parts from your old laptop which adds to the price. Generally with a desktop you keep your screen, your surround sound system,...

There are just so many disadvantages that I don't understand why *anyone* that's considered it for 5 minutes and has even the most basic understanding of computer hardware would actually buy a "gaming laptop".

The only short term advantage the laptop offers is to first-time buyers. People who don't already have everything else you usually plug into a computer. If you buy a really powerful computer and have to buy the screen and everything else you usually plug in, it's cheaper to go for a laptop... but generally I'd prefer saving up a bit more money.

I don't know... just seems so illogical.

My laptop is monstrously huge, and performs better than the desktops (which are fairly recent and powerful) combined. It was a 3d thing before they even made such TVs and stuff [img ]hipster_laptop.jpeg[/img]

Gumok

Reaction score
1) i don't like that when someone is installing applications everywhere but not into program files
2) i don't like when you ask someone for specifications of his computer and he don't know and tells you what he has as OS! AARGH!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1) i don't like that when someone is installing applications everywhere but not into program files
Well, when you have newer Windows' Can't-Let-You-Do-That-Starfox UAC on, it's a huge PITA to even move or edit text files in Program Files, so it's nice to put any program you're likely to mod or put addons into (Orbiter, for instance, or Celestia) in some folder in your profile (Documents, etc.)

I actually keep Orbiter in the desktop, so it's quick and easy to find logs or edit configs.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Might be more related with pc basic maintenance: not cleaning of dust.
As I cleaned my cousine's pc, I was afraid the blob of dust living in the CPU heatsink would call me by name and try to hug (or eat) me.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
1 - Hate people who don't want to gain knowledge, damaging others (if they are willingly damaging themselves, who am I to care?);
2 - Hate people bashing people without knowledge or skill (it's fine to bash those without will :p);
3 - Hate people who post (or say) ":censored: XYZ, 'nuff said", or in any lesser (or softer) form.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
People who pour beer in a keyboard

Thank goodness that has never happened to me!!

In general people that use computers but have no idea how it works, which usually mean they are unable to perform basic tasks of maintenance (open the tower to clean the dust...).

And, also, people using IE. :firefox:

I use IE :(

I really hate it when someone walks in and starts typing on the keyboard after eating sticky foods. IT TAKES FOREVER TO CLEAN THAT UP YOU KNOW!

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
<Looks at keyboard>
<Types a single character>
<Looks at the auto-complete>
<Looks back at keyboard>
<Types another character>
[Process repeats until item shows up on auto-complete list]
<Uses arrow keys to scroll down to the word>

Auto-Complete is ruining people's ability to type.

Parents: talk to your kids about Auto-Complete before someone else does.

ZombiezuRFER

Reaction score
I really hate it when someone walks in and starts typing on the keyboard after eating sticky foods. IT TAKES FOREVER TO CLEAN THAT UP YOU KNOW!
I have it worse: My sister can't touch my computer without leaving residue... Its why i forbid her from even getting near it.

Jamesep3

Reaction score
people who do this:compbash: with my computer. Only happened once the person in question (not me) accidenlty dopped my laptop which fornuatly was in it's case on concrete:mad: lukely still works accept for the key board but now it's my sisters and lukily no ones carring my desk top around for the moment...

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
- When people get mad at the computer for not doing what they want, but they them selfs are just not using it properly.

- When someone touches the screen with their sticky fingers and leave marks all over it. Or tries to point something out and pokes the screen too hard.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
IT staff can be some of the worst offenders of 'bad computer style'. I've worked in IT Depts all my professional career and it still scares me with some of the things I see.

You have not seen mechanic engineers on computers yet. The highlight of my career so far was a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indy"]SGI Indy[/ame] machine stuffed with four! floppy disks and just one engineer after a long time having the courage to ask why the floppy drive does not work.

SGI Indy machines had no floppy disk drive by default, but the case has still a 3.5" floppy disk sized opening for those machines that have a floppy drive.

If there would be one disk in it and every other month, a new engineer discovers the insatiable appetite for floppies... but have four in the machine with only one engineer admitting that one of those was his disk...

Still: What I dislike much more are people who write in brief chat speech to write single line posts in a forum. You have the time, and no browser refresh autofire will make people answer you faster. Also you have also the time to describe your problem better than in any chat room, where people start writing obituaries for you if you don't answer in 5 seconds.

Last edited:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Four things i hate:
1. When people go out of their way to view my computer screen as they are suspicious.
2. When people attempt to use my computer to adjust settings and to place keystroke loggers on it while im asleep.
3. When people check my history and are dumb enough to cover it up.
4. When people attempt to log on to my email, forum account and, Facebook account.

Keatah

Reaction score
People that absolutely insist upon everybody converting over to their o/s. Whether it is Mac or PC or Linux, Solaris, BSD, OS/360 -- it doesn't matter. Just don't try to be one of those religious freaks that go around converting others.

Overclocking fanbois, we don't care about the extraordinarily heroic lengths and excessive money-spending you do to get an extra 8Mhz from a +2Ghz i7 .. we really don't.

Even worse are the tough guys putting those sissy lights in their computer. Do you spend all your time looking into the box to see pretty lights? I bet it's because your $200.00 water-cooler hasn't managed to stabilize your system yet and enough to have a usable system.

IT guys that think they are master of their little domain holed-up-in-the-basement-of-wherever-they-work, that sort of attitude. Nope, you can be replaced at the whim of HR. Even worse is when they think they are gods everytime they fix something.

And more worse is asking one of them to show you how they did what they just did. They sit there all self-inflated and gloating. Like they know everything. Best thing is not to feed them anymore, and then fake like you understand. Most commonly this happens with the fat ones, especially if they have a beard. They are also loud and boisterous.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
That picture in the first post is hilarious - and so true! :lol:

Let's see, things that enrage me are:
  • People who click the slideshow button on PowerPoint - just press F5!
  • People who try to send E-mails to www. addresses (yes, I've seen it done).
  • People who play videos over projectors and don't fullscreen them.
  • People who do the above and leave the cursor in the middle of the video!
  • People who don't use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.
  • People who set their computer to automatically update every five minutes, then wonder why their connection is always slow.
  • People who click "Yes" to every pop-up message they see, then wonder why their computer doesn't work properly.

ZombiezuRFER

Reaction score
People who insist they know more than you do even when they know you are the expert/most computer literate person.

Last edited by a moderator: