Flight Question to the moon and back...

Apollo18

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I flew right now twice to the moon and used the transfer orbit in MFD.

I can get to the moon but not to earth with the transfer MFD.
I hope you´ve got an answer because otherwise I´d strand in an orbit around the moon...
:sos:

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
You must use the base approach programm from IMFD.
:)

Apollo18

Reaction score
To get back to earth??
How to use it?

(gehts auf Deutsch mit einer English Übersetzung?)
(is it possible in german with an english translation?)

Apollo18

Reaction score
What do I have to type in?
Or does it work like the transfer MFD?

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
When you open the MFD in orbiter you must enter the coordinates where you want to land on earth.And you must enter when do you want to eject to earth.

(Wenn du das MFD in orbiter auf einem Bildschirm öffnest,dann must du links im Mfd die Koordinaten eingeben wo du auf der Erde landen willst.Und du must die Zeit eingeben wann du dich zur Erde schießen willst.)

-----Post Added-----

You must use Base approach program.

Apollo18

Reaction score
thanks a lot for explaining and translating (I´m 15 years old...)

(wir haben uns eine menge an missverständnissen erspart :))

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here is a tutorial that shoud explain the steps required for Earth return. http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/Moon2Earth.zip It's made for older version of IMFD but basics and principles are still the same.

Edit: The tutorial is using Planet Approach program instead of Base Approach. Both programs will work but it may be easier to use Planet Apprach when seting up the transfer first time.

Rathelm

Reaction score
Basically like the others have said, you need to use either IMFD or TransX to get back. Transfer only works for the parent body.

Tommy

Reaction score
There's also a way to get back using just OrbitMFD. It's crude and innefficient, but it will get you back. While in lunar orbit, wait until the Earth is about one diameter above the horizon, then burn Prograde until OrbitMFD (referenced to Moon) show an escape (hyperbolic trajectoryn ot an elipse). Then, change OrbitMFD, reference to Earth. Wait until you enter Earth's SOI (the G reading at the bottom turns yellow, .5 or higher) Use the Prograde AP and wait until your ship stops rolling. Then you can use linear RCS to adjust the Pe shown in OrbitMFD, just experiment a bit to find out which direction you need to apply thrust.

As I said, this is very inefficient, IMFD or TransX allow a much better return and are well worth learning.