News Too fat to fight?

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
"US youngsters are too fat to fight, warn generals" - Rising rates of obesity among young Americans could undermine the future of the US military, two retired generals have warned. More than a quarter of young Americans are now too fat to fight, they said.

Well, that's one way to defeat a rival without firing a shot - let them eat themselves to death! Australia is headed the same way, if the many fat kids I see are any indication.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
Well that's a great reason to get in shape. Much better than that live better and longer hippie non-sense.

Unstung

Reaction score
US forced to not go to war due to lack of servicemen. I like that idea. :p
I'd much rather not have another pointless war where people just die, and when we leave the countries return to what they were.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The general is complaining because he can't find enough fit cannon fodder. If ever there was a reason to get fat, this is it.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Before, being gay would keep you from the military.

Ark

Reaction score
If that's what it takes to stop our Middle East warmongering...

Ark

Reaction score
Nothing will keep anyone from warmongering. If the local populace won't do, they'll hire mercs. It's a time-honoured tradition.

Eh, Halliburton and Blackwater already get all of our money.

AirSimming

Reaction score
Ah, yes. Beside the New Zealand cow fart syndrom I almost forgot that we are also doomed by societies that grow more and more fat people. Now they can't even fight anymore :lol:

If you watch old German black and white telecasts from the 1950's, you already see rising concerns about a society growing more and more fat people. I guess it's one of those temporary fashions, but not really temporary.

Even I am "overweight", just as the majority of Germans statisitcally, if you just take the body mass index. You just don't see it in my case, but a well-formed upper body instead, caused by about 6 hours of sports a weak. I give a damn on certain statistics and certain absolute measures. There was always fat people and there always will be. Overweight people are also not generally more ill above average than slim people. Myths.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd much rather not have another pointless war where people just die, and when we leave the countries return to what they were.

Soldiers don't affect whether pointless wars are fought or not.

The general is complaining because he can't find enough fit cannon fodder. If ever there was a reason to get fat, this is it.

I concur.

Time to binge on fat and sugar laden fast food! :lol:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The general is complaining because he can't find enough fit cannon fodder.
Curiously, it's something like that here too. Not enough healthy young people. And, they are going to fill the blanks with people from first years of universities and like, pretty much lobotomising the next generation.
What is an army good for anyway? Paint the grass green and snow white ahead of the big guests?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hmm, both my nephews are overweight. They won't go outside because the sun overpowers the gameboy screen. The television is inside as well, connected to a playstation.

When I was their age my mom had the roughest time getting me to come indoors. Inside was boring, you can't ride a bicycle...

Those two can eat their own body weight in fast food, sodas and potato chips.

They need a good kick in the pants, goodness knows if I did they might come after me, but my 40+ year old body can outrun them.

docabn

Reaction score
Fat people do less manual labor. If the army is having trouble finding people fit enough to fight so are the construction foremen. It is an unfortunate indicator of the overall health us Americans.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Even I am "overweight", just as the majority of Germans statisitcally, if you just take the body mass index. You just don't see it in my case, but a well-formed upper body instead, caused by about 6 hours of sports a weak.
Ah yes, the exception that disproves the rule :dry:. Of course BMI is not an absolute proof of health or otherwise, but is a useful indicator. Do you feel your healthy lifestyle is in the majority for those with similar BMIs?

BTW, I would hate to see government stepping in and telling me what I can and can't eat, no nanny state for me please. I am all for encouraging people to take personal responsibility for their health.

Overweight people are also not generally more ill above average than slim people. Myths.
Perhaps not, but the obese certainly die more often:
WikiRRM.jpg