Meshing Question Transparent LPAD texture

judstubbs

Reaction score
I've been successful using GIMP to create Lpad textures that are transparent.

However, it seems there is some screwyness when it comes to switch to the night time texture. (<mytexture>_n.dds)

If I have any alpha in the night texture it won't switch, and remains on the day texture all the time.

I've done some experimenting and it seems that the two textures share the alpha channel. I can put transparent regions in the day texture, with no transparent regions in the night texture, and it will switch between the two, however, when the night texture is displayed, it seems that the transparent region from the day texture is there.

Can someone confirm this? Or is something screwy with me/my machine/my orbiter install/etc.

All in all, it does sorta work, just seems screwy.

Thanks in advance,

Jud

Update: I don't know what I did, but now it seems to work. I have a night and a day texture, both with alpha channels, and they switch as they should. However, the alpha channel on the night texture seems not to be a full 8-bit. More like a 1bit transparency. (using DXT5 compression) Oh well, in any case it works ok, just not as perfect as I'd like.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
As I understand it the alpha channel in the "night" texture serves a different prupose from the one in the "day"

I could be mistaken, (it's been a while since I messed around with base building) but as far as I remember...

The day texture's alpha channel controls transparency.

The night texture's alpha controls luminosity. (Lighting effects)

R, G, and B channels are as you would expect.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Oh and welcome to the forums. :cheers: