why is it that a gso / geo orbit must be at about 35,700 km ? thank you

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
That is the spot where an orbit takes 24 hours. Go lower your orbit's faster, go higher it's slower.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Also, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit"]this[/ame] may help.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, interestingly enough, a tower 35 786km (Geostationary orbital altitude) tall would experience 0 g on its top floor. Go any lower and you experience gravity, and go any higher and 'gravity' is upside down.

Sorry if I'm just making this more confusing. ;)

spacekid1998

Reaction score
oh, but what if i was at like 60,000 km then cant i just burn prograde to speed up to earth's rotation ?

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
No, because you would be increasing your orbit then, so it is longer than 24 hours. At 35,700 km, your orbital period (T) is exactly 24 hours. You go around earth once every 24 hours, and, since that is the speed at which the Earth revolves, you always stay aabove the same spot.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think you need a crash-course on orbital mechanics.

Basically, orbital speed is directly proportional to orbital radius (altitude), as per Kepler's Third Law. If you speed up, your semi-major axis will increase, and you will gain altitude while eccentricity approaches 1 (escape orbit.)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You would lower your semimajor axis, and start to lose altitude.

Take a look at [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrodynamics"]this[/ame] page. It's pretty interesting.

spacekid1998

Reaction score
oh thanks a lot, i understand now.. so the altitude is proportional to velocity. also, now that im in geosyncronous orbit, how do i make it over the equator? im using align planes but im not sure how to make the custom orbit (Shift + E). it tells me to input ecliptic inclination

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
Can you please explain this joke? I never got it.

Its no joke, its rocket science! You were just explaining what it means to spacekid1998, you just don't realize it ;).

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
oh thanks a lot, i understand now.. so the altitude is proportional to velocity. also, now that im in geosyncronous orbit, how do i make it over the equator? im using align planes but im not sure how to make the custom orbit (Shift + E). it tells me to input ecliptic inclination
Geostationary Orbit is only over the equator.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Its no joke, its rocket science! You were just explaining what it means to spacekid1998, you just don't realize it ;).
I don't quite get it, though. Is it that you speed up relative to a nearby object in an orbit similar to your previous one? Your vertical speed can increase, depending on where you are at the burn, I guess...

Maybe I'm just tired. Uptime ~28 hours now, I reckon. If I'm missing something obvious, please hit me with Orbiter.pdf (all 134 pages.)

EDIT: Duhh!!!! You lower PeA, so you speed up as your altitude decreases! :rofl:

eyu100

Reaction score
Well actually you can stay above the same spot on Earth while not at 35.7k km as long as you have fuel remaining... If you are below that altitude, you can orbit slowly and constantly thrust away from the center of the Earth to stay up; if above that altitude, you must orbit fast and thrust *toward* the center of the Earth to stay down.

spacekid1998

Reaction score
also guys what is the best angle to launch at to raise your apa to 35.7m? i mean which one puts you up there efficiently?

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
also guys what is the best angle to launch at to raise your apa to 35.7m? i mean which one puts you up there efficiently?

It's usually always best (fuel efficient) to do each burn as a prograde burn. To make it easier on yourself, get yourself in a circular orbit (200x200km or something) first, then raise yourself with one or more prograde burns to the altitude you want.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Take a look at:

Go Play In Space

The most efficient way to go to geostationary orbit, is to launch from the equator and go directly 90E. Of course that doesn't happen, so what you should do is lanch from cape going 90E, then when you are about to hit the descending node, (which is passing the equator from the north hemisphere to the south) burn orbit normal (+) (towards the north hemisphere) until your orbit runs equilateral. Then burn prograde (so you will raise your orbit, but you will appear to slow down relative to Earth, once you reach a higher orbit of course.)

Placing your satellite in a specific spot is a different matter, its position would depend on when you launch. :thumbup:

spacekid1998

Reaction score
much love <3

2ed6tsk.jpg