Problem UCGO / UMmu HUD Directions Not Appearing

davidweb

Reaction score
Hi all!

Been addicted to Orbiter for several months now, and have decided to try UCGO and more advanced things than just flying someplace and back. Whether I am using a PreludeII base, or the UCGO cargo for XR5, or even the "Drive all cars" scenario under UCGO, when I put focus on the cargo / ship / man, go to the "cockpit" view, and hit "H" to get the directions/instructions to come up, nothing appears.

It will cycle through about six different hub screens, which indicates that the hub directions are "there", I just can't see them. I've tried cycling through some of the sketchpad settings in the Video Advanced menu, but to no avail. Any idea what I could do here? I am using the D3D9 Client.

Thanks and Happy 2013!
-David, Ft Lauderdale, FL

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
by "hub screens", you mean the Surface, Orbit and Dock HUD ? This is a feature, they are voluntary not rendered in the cockpit. For both UMmu and UCGO.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've seen (or not seen) something similar. For me, when I press 'H' I just get a white screen. If I keep pressing 'H' I get back to the normal view.

davidweb

Reaction score
by "hub screens", you mean the Surface, Orbit and Dock HUD ? This is a feature, they are voluntary not rendered in the cockpit. For both UMmu and UCGO.

In all the directions for the UCGO things, it says press "H" to bring up the instructions... but since H also cycles through the HUD screens... this is where I might be getting confused? I go to the "cockpit" mode of any vehicle, for example, and press H and it cycles through a bunch of HUD modes, indicating that it *should* be showing the various "H" menus alluded to in all the documentation, it's just that none of the text / instructions is actually appearing. Hope that is a little more clear :)

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've been getting that as well. It's not the HUDs but the instruction screens.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep, okay I got it ;)
Yes this is a bug, and it was already reported in the French post. As Dan said, he has found the solution.
Edit your "/UniversalCars/bin/ConfigDarkScreen.msh" to remove the line with "FLAG 5".
It is because Orbiter.exe and Orbiter_ng.exe don't react the same manner with MSH flags.

davidweb

Reaction score
Yep, okay I got it ;)
Yes this is a bug, and it was already reported in the French post. As Dan said, he has found the solution.
Edit your "/UniversalCars/bin/ConfigDarkScreen.msh" to remove the line with "FLAG 5".
It is because Orbiter.exe and Orbiter_ng.exe don't react the same manner with MSH flags.

Thank you SolarLiner for your prompt reply. I promise I had searched the forums and the web at large and couldn't find anything about it :)

Ok, so I found the file Orbiter2010\Meshes\UniversalCars\bin\ConfigDarkScreen.msh but I did not see anything with "FLAG 5" or flag anything. It reads:

MSHX1
GROUPS 1
MATERIAL 1
TEXTURE 0
GEOM 258 512 ; Sphere01
0.0191492 7.22694 -4.30575e-006 2.0557e-007 -1.0 0.0

**followed by hundreds of lines of numbers, and ends with**

257 225 256
MATERIALS 1
Standard_1
MATERIAL Standard_1
0.0 0.0627451 0.262745 0.82
0.0 0.0627451 0.262745 0.82
0.0 0.0 0.0 0.82 0.0
0.0 0.0 0.0 0.82
TEXTURES 0

I'm really feeling rather dumb now, as I see that others have thanked you (which I do profusely), but I am still lost...

Also, if/when I figure out what to remove from where, should I also do this for the UMmu version?

Very grateful for your tutiledge :)
-David

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Oh - also... and pseudo-related... I downloaded the UCGO addon for the XR5, and I can get the empty pallets loaded into the XR5 cargo bay, but when I focus onto the individual empty cargo pallet through F3 in order to load actual cargo to it (ie: fuel, lox, inflatable base, whatever else you can use with UCGO, still learning!), nothing happens there either when I press "H" as per its instructions.

I've learned so much on my own with Orbiter over the past several months, but I just haven't found any 20,000' overview documentation of UCGO that helps me figure out all the things you can do with it. I'd love to start a "project" where I fly an XR5 up to LEO, then to the moon and start building a base... Get an Arrow to the base to unload cars to help put it all together, etc... but I just can't seem to figure out where to start. :-/

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The line "FLAG 5" is on of the hundreds of lines :p
But try CTRL+F and enter "FLAG 5", I think it will brings you directly to the right line number !

davidweb

Reaction score
Control+F was the first thing I tried. :) I just saved a copy of the file into a txt and attached here. Is it possible I'm looking at the wrong doc?

Attachments

• ConfigDarkScreen1.txt
    20 KB · Views: 7

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So you already removed that ! Because I had this line, and I think others too. So problem auto-solved ;)

For your XR5 problem, you should add them by the Payload Editor (Bay panel -> Payload Editor) and then once focused you should type 9 to cycle though the avaliable cargos and then SHIFT+9 to add the last selected. To release SHIFT+C, and grapple C. At least as I remember

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's line number 5 in the actual .msh file - removed and problem fixed.

davidweb

Reaction score
So you already removed that ! Because I had this line, and I think others too. So problem auto-solved ;)

For your XR5 problem, you should add them by the Payload Editor (Bay panel -> Payload Editor) and then once focused you should type 9 to cycle though the avaliable cargos and then SHIFT+9 to add the last selected. To release SHIFT+C, and grapple C. At least as I remember

I wish it were that easy... I never removed any lines because it wasn't there... and still isn't... and it still doesn't work.

As for the XR5 UCGO cargo... it's the exact same thing. I did exactly what you said based on the directions I already had. I have the cargo loaded, per the payload editor... I change focus to it, but then whether I'm in the "external" view of the pallet or the "cockpit" view of the pallet, if I press nine, nothing appears on screen. It's the exact. same. issue.

I think I'm about to give up on it... I've been beating my head on it all day, and I'm not an unintelligent person who didn't already try what was obvious.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort in trying to help me through this, and wish you all the best!

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Its the d3d9 client. Use the normal version

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since the author (a "woo<RandomNumbers>") has not umdated his add-ons for Orbiter 2010, the tehnics to show something on the screen has changed (use of Sketchpad instead of GDI I think, you can correct if I am wrong (and I apologies)) so the add-on can't show anything anymore. But a compatibity solution has been found for the inline client but not for the No Graphics one.