Question Unable to load/activate D3D9Client

Wedge313

Reaction score
I'm unable to get the D3D9 Client to run on my computer. I'm using Orbiter 2016 v160828, and wanted to add the NASSP program (I unzipped NASSP v8.0-Beta-orbiter1519 into the Orbiter directory). I then unzipped D3D9ClientR4.3-forOrbiter2016 (r1297) into the Orbiter directory. When I open Orbiter_ng.exe, under the "Modules" tab I can see the D3D9Client, and I've checked the box to activate the module. However, there is no "Video" tab anywhere on the screen. If I try to load a scenario all I get is a black window that tries to load something (a slew of planets and moons), but ends up with the messages "Orbiter NG (no graphics)" "Running in server mode" and "type "help" for a list of commands". What have I done wrong, and how might I correct it? Thanks

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You most probably forgot to install the DirectX 9 runtimes
(see Doc\D3D9Client.pdf page 1 or this direct link)

Wedge313

Reaction score
OK, but when I run that setup, it tells me "DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already". Am I looking at the right download, "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer"? Any other thoughts where I might go from here? Thanks.

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Usually you should not use the web-installer. The downloaded file to execute should be directx_Jun210_redist.exe (~ 95,6 MB sized).
That one should let you install DirectX 9 even when you already have DirectX 10, 11, or 12 installed.
This is a bit confusing, I know, but having a newer version of DirectX installed does not work.

The direct link I've posted above should direct you to the correct site. Just click [Download] there to get directx_Jun210_redist.exe.

That installer should ask you where to put its contents. From where you have to run the actual installer (if I remember correctly)

Last edited:

Wedge313

Reaction score
I think I'm making progress, but at a snail's pace. I've got the directx_Jun210_redist.exe file, but when I open it I'm asked "Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files." I'm very open to suggestions, thanks. I'm (obviously) not a wizard on the computer, and a lot of this is sorcery to me.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you maybe post your Orbiter log after you have opened the Orbiter_ng and selected the DX9 Client (unsuccessfully). That should have some errors then, I think. Might help confirming that it's actually a DX9 runtime issue.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think I'm making progress, but at a snail's pace. I've got the directx_Jun210_redist.exe file, but when I open it I'm asked "Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files." I'm very open to suggestions, thanks. I'm (obviously) not a wizard on the computer, and a lot of this is sorcery to me.

It's O.K. you learn by asking.
When asked "Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files.", you should choose any directory that you like, but as it can be completely removed afterwards I recommend the following procedure:
  1. Create a new temporary directory (C:\foo for example)
  2. Execute directx_Jun210_redist.exe (from wherever it is. Probably your Download folder)
  3. When asked, select the directory you've created in step 1 (C:\foo in our example) by using the [browse..] button
  4. After that, go to the directory (C:\foo) and run the file DXSETUP.exe located there.
Note that the temporary directory can be deleted afterwards and that the exact location of that temporary directory is not essential, so if you prefer you can also create that directory on your Desktop or any other location.
In that case the temporary directory in the recipe above is of cause that directory (something like C:\Users\YorName\Desktop\foo)

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hey! Success! Thanks for the help, you're a steely-eyed missile man.