Problem Uncopyable -"Invalid Filename" because of "\" in name?

emarkay

Reaction score
All of a sudden I am getting a bunch of uncopyable files on the new XR1 1.9 / XR2 1.4 / XR5 1.7 files from here:
http://www.alteaaerospace.com
via this post:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23071

I am extracting them in Linux, and copying them to a NTFS USB drive and it's puking on files like this:
Config\Vessels\DeltagliderXR1.cfg

I don't recall encountering this before, (maybe I unzipped them natively in the Windows machine before) but still, from around the Web I read this:
"It's possible that the computer has files which contain characters that are illegal on your Windows computer. The following characters aren't valid on Windows:
[ ] \ / = + < > : ; " , * ."

Is anyone else encountering this?

Also, while I am mentioning it, it's always good form to NEVER use a space in a filename, and to ensure that any changes in case are intentional - many OSs treat spaces and cases differently!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It isn't because filename has a \ in it. That is the directory separator in Windows. In Linux it is /
In this case, DeltagilderXR1.cfg goes in the config/vessels folder

It is also reasonable to assume that as Orbiter is Windows only, only windows conventions need to be used.

emarkay

Reaction score
True...

I do 98% work in Linux, and have been for years; it's strange I have never encountered this before!

Curious, though, wouldn't actual directories (created under main directory while "unzipping"; actually creating a structure) be better form than using filenames to indicate it?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Curious, though, wouldn't actual directories (created under main directory while "unzipping"; actually creating a structure) be better form than using filenames to indicate it?
Are you saying that your Linux unzip program, when extracting the Orbiter zip file, doesn't create the directory structure, and instead treats the backslashes in the archived paths as part of the file names? That sounds like a bug in your unzip program, and certainly my Linux unzip doesn't suffer from it.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
What exact method are you using to copy the files, and what exact error message are you getting?