Hardware USB to VGA - 3 monitor extended?

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is this too good to be true? Is it possible to use USB to VGA adaptors such as this:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-2-to-vga-adapter/42744.html

to extend Orbiter's display output over three monitors? In other word, is this an alternative to a Matrox Triplehead2Go?

I understand that such a wide display could only be produced with one of the 3rd party graphics clients.

s2k1

insane_alien

Reaction score
i don't think this would work too well for a simulation such as orbiter. its over a USB connection so the data must be quite heavily compressed and the refresh rate will be terrible if lots of things are moving about.

now a panel or mfd? that might work quite well.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
USB 2.0 is about 480mbps if I recall correctly. I've no idea how many mbps a modern video card throws out at the screen. I do know that doing this sort of thing over a network just about works for things like email, MFD's and things that don't move about very much.

Keatah

Reaction score
If you do a full-screen rendition of orbiter over one of these, expect 2-3 FPS tops.
Keep in mind that it uses cpu power to compress and build an image for display on your tertiary monitor. These are fine for 2 or 3 mfd's or reading documents. The company claims you can do fmv, but in that case you'll need usb 3 and a powerhouse system no doubt.

Eventually the technology will mature into something more capable and useful. Either that, or we'll have more ports on lappys for more monitors, or usb 3 software-based monitors, or thunderbolt interfaces.

http://www.displaylink.com/technology/technology_overview.php

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
FMV and real-time 3d are very different. Using USB to output a video signal bypasses your video card entirely, so you won't have hardware acceleration on the third monitor. Not really useful for games.