V8 Release Work Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There has been a pretty substantial update. It mostly affects the RTCC MFD, which has gotten a bunch of new features, most notably new midcourse correction and LOI targeting, including displays that are very close to the ones actually used. Here LOI as an example:

The new LOI display in NASSP:

gEmw7um.png

LOI display used during an Apollo 14 simulation run, taken from stock footage for the documentary "This is Mission Control", from October 1970:

THJBg90.png

There is an updated RTCC MFD manual under \Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Programmers Notes, still in work though. And jalexb88 is working on a RTCC MFD input reference guide, which is under \Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP. I hope this will help users of the MFD.

There are various smaller new features, I guess what people will mostly notice is that CMC auto optics drive has changed. It now uses a realistic implementation of the optics CDUs, which was the analog to digital, and digital to analog convert for signals between the AGC and the optics (also IMU and rendezvous radar). I am not 100% happy with it, it seems to overshoot the target position sometimes. But it's a steady drive now, much more realistic than the previous implementation.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The RTCCMFD updates look great! Thanks Indy.

I'm interested in helping with documentation. I'd be happy to add information to the info section of the checklists.

How final are the Apollo 7-11. If I made some tutorials would they still be valid with minor updating in 9.0, 10.0 etc?

I also had a suggestion. In the class that loads the AGC binary image (I'm on my phone, can't remember the name of it), it currently loads the image based on which "apollono" is set in the scenario file. Shouldn't there be an option to point to a file path of a specific image, or am I missing something. Just my 2p, you folks have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The RTCCMFD updates look great! Thanks Indy.

Thanks!

I'm interested in helping with documentation. I'd be happy to add information to the info section of the checklists.

The Checklist MFD file for Apollo 11 could use some work. rcyflyinghokie only got to about the lunar landing, after that there are more errors, outdated sections etc.

How final are the Apollo 7-11. If I made some tutorials would they still be valid with minor updating in 9.0, 10.0 etc?

I'd say the systems and features like the MCC are fairly final, not much will change for those, except maybe internally.

I also had a suggestion. In the class that loads the AGC binary image (I'm on my phone, can't remember the name of it), it currently loads the image based on which "apollono" is set in the scenario file. Shouldn't there be an option to point to a file path of a specific image, or am I missing something. Just my 2p, you folks have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

Ha, I got you! That's also one of the new features in this update. The AGC images are now loaded based mission files, which are under Missions\ProjectApollo. Inspired by how SSU handles this a bunch of mission specific parameter and systems are loaded there, including the CMC, LGC and AEA software. For example:

CMCVersion=Comanche055

I wanted to use the checkout programs in Sundial, so I got myself a Sundial E binary, changed that line to "SundialE" and then did some auto optics tests on the launchpad. Granted, the mission file is still loaded by the same ApolloNo value, but at least the AGC version can now be quickly swapped by editing the mission file.

Thespacer

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I have error 1107 popping up in the AGC and LGC for some of my saved Apollo 11 scenarios. Is that the result of changes to the way the AGC/LGC software is now loaded?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I have error 1107 popping up in the AGC and LGC for some of my saved Apollo 11 scenarios. Is that the result of changes to the way the AGC/LGC software is now loaded?

The mission files didn't get included in the automatic NASSP builds. There is an update building right now, try that newest release. It probably loaded the default AGC versions, those flown on Apollo 15-17. That will of course cause a program alarm if you suddenly have a different software running. :lol:

Last edited:

Thespacer

Reaction score
Yep that works, (though I did get a bit excited when I ran P20 in the CSM, and it had a few more options than that available in the Apollo 11 software version.)

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep that works, (though I did get a bit excited when I ran P20 in the CSM, and it had a few more options than that available in the Apollo 11 software version.)

If you want to play around with P20 and Artemis072/Luminary210, the Apollo 17 - Before PDI scenario has been updated in "WIP Scenarios\Apollo - Mission Scenarios\Apollo 17" You can also push in the landing radar CB, run P63 and enjoy the descent into Taurus-Littrow :)

dak4482

Reaction score
Anyone posting a tutorial for NASSP/RTCC

For a newbie just getting into Orbiter 2016/Apollo NASSP anyone willing to post a Youtube or twitch video on a mission? Some of this stuff is WAAAAY over my head and would love to get a handle on it. I understand the theory and all that its just the mechanics of the inputs and switches that is slowing me down

Dan

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks!

The Checklist MFD file for Apollo 11 could use some work. rcyflyinghokie only got to about the lunar landing, after that there are more errors, outdated sections etc.

I can work on that.

I'd say the systems and features like the MCC are fairly final, not much will change for those, except maybe internally.

Okay, cool.

Ha, I got you! That's also one of the new features in this update. The AGC images are now loaded based mission files, which are under Missions\ProjectApollo. Inspired by how SSU handles this a bunch of mission specific parameter and systems are loaded there, including the CMC, LGC and AEA software. For example:

CMCVersion=Comanche055

I wanted to use the checkout programs in Sundial, so I got myself a Sundial E binary, changed that line to "SundialE" and then did some auto optics tests on the launchpad. Granted, the mission file is still loaded by the same ApolloNo value, but at least the AGC version can now be quickly swapped by editing the mission file.

Nice! that's awesome!

For a newbie just getting into Orbiter 2016/Apollo NASSP anyone willing to post a Youtube or twitch video on a mission? Some of this stuff is WAAAAY over my head and would love to get a handle on it. I understand the theory and all that its just the mechanics of the inputs and switches that is slowing me down

Dan

This should happen at some point. There's some good NASSP videos out there on YouTube, but a lot of them are a few years old and very few have commentary.

meik84

Reaction score
One thing I just came along again: after every update, the sim crashes during 'major' events, like GRR, staging, LES jet, etc. But: only once for every event. Once the event 'has seen its crash', everything's fine for all subsequent runs. Odd and annoying, especially for launch: you need 5 or 6 tries to reach orbit.:dry:

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The LM VC has had a bit of an update, with the goal of making it easier to fly the lunar landing from the VC in NASSP 8.0. No gauges are functional yet but panels 1-4 are now displayed (static). LGC altitude and descent rate information as well as guidance modes & remaining fuel are displayed in a debug string during the braking/approach/landing phases when in the VC. Further VC work, including working gauges is slated for NASSP 9.0.

To fly the LM from the VC, these new key commands will help:

K: Toggle PGNS mode control AUTO/ATT HOLD
M: Toggle throttle control AUTO/MAN
SHIFT-A: Abort Stage PUSH

A full list of key commands can be found in this post: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=40234

Screenshot%202020-05-07%2017.36.12.png

Last edited:

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Virtual cockpit update:

Phase 1 of work on the LM VC is now complete! This includes panels 1-4, which are now fully functional. Work on the next phase is starting now and includes modeling/texturing of the interior of the LM. Phase 3 work will include the side panels and ECS panels.
Phase 1 has now been pushed to the latest beta release, enjoy!

Screenshot%202020-05-22%2013.33.45.png

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Woah. That looks great Alex. I really need to finish my work on the antennas. It's been a busy week.

abr35

Reaction score
Virtual cockpit update:

Phase 1 of work on the LM VC is now complete! This includes panels 1-4, which are now fully functional. Work on the next phase is starting now and includes modeling/texturing of the interior of the LM. Phase 3 work will include the side panels and ECS panels.
Phase 1 has now been pushed to the latest beta release, enjoy!

Screenshot%202020-05-22%2013.33.45.png

Wow! Didnt expect to see this for a long time yet. Wish I hadn't just gotten to LEM Jett on my current flight haha. Is the CSM in the works as well?

Thanks for all the work!

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow! Didnt expect to see this for a long time yet. Wish I hadn't just gotten to LEM Jett on my current flight haha. Is the CSM in the works as well?

Thanks for all the work!

Work on the CSM VC will start sometime after the LM VC is finished. The CSM of course already has a complete VC mesh/textures, but of course nothing is functional inside it yet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks good, but the camera position could maybe get optimized a bit, Its a bit too close to the panel, even if it might be the correct position for watching through the window.

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks good, but the camera position could maybe get optimized a bit, Its a bit too close to the panel, even if it might be the correct position for watching through the window.

Yep that will definitely be corrected, the camera position right now is more of a temporary position, also the panel needs to be pushed back a bit. Work on that has already begun today.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Our Lunar Module now has a center of gravity that shifts with depleting propellant! This only applies to the full LM (ascent + descent stage) and only on the X-axis right now (axis through the DPS engine). The reason to implement this becomes quite obvious when you look at this graph of the DPS moment arm (thrust point to center of gravity):

hSz7Izr.png

As you can see our LM with a fixed CG also of course had a constant DPS moment arm. Not only that, it was far off for a LM with full DPS propellant tanks. Only at the end of the powered descent did the LM and the LGC agree. The result was that the RCS was really doing most of the attitude control work for the majority of the descent burn. Now there is barely any RCS activity at all and that also applies to docked DPS burns.

Shifting the center of gravity is a bit scary to do; most of it is accomplished with the ShiftCG function, but touchdown points and lights have to be shifted separately. Also view positions and virtual cockpit switch positions have to get an offset. So if anybody notices issues that could be related to this new feature for the LM, please let me know.

Some time in the future I plan to also implement this for the ascent stage and the CSM, and on more than one axis. But I think the LM descent configuration was the most urgent case.

Status
Not open for further replies.