video MFD?

canadave

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since an MP3/Radio MFD exists, I was wondering if it's possible to code a Video MFD that could play .AVI/.MPG/etc files from your PC into an MFD window? I have no coding knowledge whatsoever, but I was thinking if it were possible, that would be a pretty neat thing to have for those long, boring trips to Mars with one's kids ;)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Unless you implement this on a pixel basis directly in orbiter you are out of luck here.
Windows (Or better: DirectX) does not allow for directshow or overlay surfaces to draw upon a Direct3D screen.

If you run in windowed mode this is not a problem. But then again, you could simply set your favorite player to always on top and scale it the way you want it.

So I doubt this will be done anytime soon. It would be nice to be wrong about this one though.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Why not make a videorecording MFD that could work like the Camera MFD? Or add a snapshot and timelapse module so we could actually take pretty pictures of what we see through a nose-mounted or side-mounted camera? Camera MFD is already cool but lacks picture-taking capabilities and the camera can (unrealistically) be swiveled any way.