Internet Video Thread

E

ex-orbinaut

Is this for real or am I being taken in by a fake video?

EDIT:
Nope, seems to be real. It is all over PPruNe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Horrendous. That is the only word that comes to mind.

FADEC

Reaction score

Yes. Looks like a stall. I'm only surprised why they stalled the airplane. At high altitude they might have recovered...

E

ex-orbinaut

Wow. That's one of the worst airplane crashes I have ever seen. Fortunately this was "only" a cargo plane. I don't want to imagine if this was a fully loaded passenger airplane...

Yep...

See what's being said about the accident here. I have not the time to read it all right now. Poor chaps, they would almost certainly have known what the outcome was going to be no sooner they rotated, as the speculation of the main contributing factor seems to be load shift...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Dropped like a rock.

There was a similar-looking accident near Moscow not so long ago, the only crash of Il-86 - something about the vertical trim suddenly going full up, causing the plane to flare, stall and drop.

Or maybe someone just didn't secure the cargo properly. This being Afghanistan, i imagine it could be military vehicles, and someone forgot to put the parking brake on...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Amazingly the world speed record for maglev is only 7 km/h faster! (581 km/h, set by the Japanese in 2003) And the train set is only slightly modified from a production HSR train set!

FADEC

Reaction score
Dropped like a rock.

There was a similar-looking accident near Moscow not so long ago, the only crash of Il-86 - something about the vertical trim suddenly going full up, causing the plane to flare, stall and drop.

Or maybe someone just didn't secure the cargo properly. This being Afghanistan, i imagine it could be military vehicles, and someone forgot to put the parking brake on...

I think it either was a trim away condition or a weight shift.

The landing gear was still down, which shows that they likely were in trouble already during or right after rotation. Normally they retract the gear after rotation/lift off as soon as a positive rate of climb is indicated. I assume that the airplane began to pitch up (to about 85°!) already when the airplane left the runway during rotation.

Everybody on board was aware that they will crash very likely. Horrible.

---------- Post added 05-03-13 at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-02-13 at 08:27 PM ----------

iPad replaces aircraft manuals and airport charts...

Screamer7

Reaction score
That was just horrific.
And I hope there will be soon an answer to this accident.
There are a lot of 747's flying all over the world as I speak.
I am not saying the 747 is unsafe.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not safe for teenagers:

But epic for everyone else. :)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Safe and epic for me. Unlike the stuff Screamer listed :p
BTW, how did the :censored: end up in the title of the video?
-----------------------------------------------
Eleven days before my flight, same aircraft, same seat, same runway:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Note the unexpected loss of electrical power at 8:32. That's probably the same face which I get when I get a loss of electrical power in MSFS while using one of my aircraft addons. It's always confusing :lol:
Oops. Someone touched the GPU. The DC-8 family has always had a touchy power receptacle. Had many a morning where we had to drag a different power cart over to an MD-90 to get it powered up, as the plane rejected the gate power supply. :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Is this for real or am I being taken in by a fake video?

Bagram airfield crash 29 apr 2013 - YouTube

EDIT:
Nope, seems to be real. It is all over PPruNe.

Sadly, this is real. 8 U.S. citizens killed. Cargo was 5 military vehicles (I suspect Mine Resistant Ambush Protected class). Seems that the forward vehicle broke loose, then started a chain reaction that sent all five aft until the aircraft lost control. There was an air freighter that crashed outside of Mather Airport (former Mather AFB) about 10 years ago after falling victim to the same issue. Nearly hit the Sacramento TRACON center, too.

If you listen closely, you can hear the engines spooling up as the crew fights to save the aircraft. However, I doubt that recovery would have been possible at ANY altitude.

Screamer7

Reaction score
What I read so far about this tragic accident is that they did not load any cargo at Bagram airfield.
They use it merely for refueling.
And that bring a disturbing possibility to my mind.
What if it was sabotage?
Maybe someone intently loosen or cut the straps and nobody noticed it.

Staiduk

Reaction score
What I read so far about this tragic accident is that they did not load any cargo at Bagram airfield.
They use it merely for refueling.
And that bring a disturbing possibility to my mind.
What if it was sabotage?
Maybe someone intently loosen or cut the straps and nobody noticed it.

I would say that that's just speculation at this point, Screamer; no offence intended. It looks like nothing more than a tragic accident - Occam's Razor applies in a situation like this, I believe. :(

---------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

Hey, all. :)
Don't know if it's totally kosher to add a sport video but I just watched this game and it was fantastic! :thumbup:

I'm a hockey fan; not much of an NHL fan though after the lockouts but I am a Leafs fan - no matter how hard they make it to cheer for them (sigh).

The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't made it to the playoffs for nine years; and Game One of their quarterfinal series against the Boston Bruins certainly didn't give Leafs fans much confidence. They played like...well...idiots. :facepalm: So I wasn't really holding out much hope here but man were they a whole new team here!

The Leafs played with a discipline (something not generally associated with the Leafs :lol:) and enthusiasm I haven't seen in years; it was by far one of the best hockey games I've watched in a long, long time. Great goals, superb goaltending, strong strategic play all the way through. Wonderful stuff - here are the highlights:

Can't wait for game 3 in Toronto on Monday. The Leafs are bringing some serious momentum to one of the most hockey-mad cities on the continent - in two days Toronto's going to explode! :cheers:

Cheers!

(P.S. 2 things: First; I didn't expect the thread would add this post to the last one; my response to Screamer. Whoops, sorry. Second; I just can't help enjoying the fact that in this series the Bruins have a player named Horton while the Leafs have one named Orr. A delicious little irony there. ;) )

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
Oops. Someone touched the GPU. The DC-8 family has always had a touchy power receptacle. Had many a morning where we had to drag a different power cart over to an MD-90 to get it powered up, as the plane rejected the gate power supply. :facepalm:

Certainly one of the quirky items of that airplane family :)

But I think pulling the plug without communication with the cockpit crew isn't the best thing to do. Or maybe they thought nobody was in the cockpit anymore. I can imagine that Kent (the pilot in the video) recorded the video after the last flight of that day.

Eleven days before my flight, same aircraft, same seat, same runway:

Have fun! :)

The 737 still is my favourite airplane, and likely always will be. Derived from the 727, which in turn was derived from the 707, it's a classic Boeing (the fuselage didn't change). Actually it's the flagship (still the most sold passenger jet, and continuing). It's also a great airplane from a pilots point of view. Not too complex, and easily operated (other than the fully computerized A320 family for example). Can't wait for the new 737 MAX...

Last edited: