Internet Video Thread

steph

Reaction score
If only Orbiter allowed multiple star systems...

It kinda does, or did. I seem to remember ,even pre-2016, some 'solar systems' available as add-ons. Basically, planets acting as suns , with loads of satellites etc, that were so far out that orbital movement was practically zero and you'd need relativistic speeds to get to them in reasonable time. Now , that it's open source, things may change. I'm not sure how easy it would be, I hear most of the game is built around a central gravity source, but perhaps at least jump gates etc are possible, if nothing else.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I could still play around with antimatter drives and stuff even in the solar system; like for missions to the outer planets and stuff.
The other way would be to fake it. Leave the solar system and fly towards imaginary Alpha Centuri for 2.25 light years, then exit orbiter, change the Sol to Alpha Centuri and reverse the ship's velocity vector in the scenario and reload. Then fly the arrival half of the trip.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Be-200 puts out fires in Greece
Be-200 extinguishing a fire after an earthquake in Turkey

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Nice sideslip landing. Also, it's interesting to see airfields with vegetation that close to the runway.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A great video about how much skill and planning is behind being a vocalist. Its quite interesting, because I never really even thought about how dominant the "oo" in "Blood" and similar words can be and how it sounds better by having more control over your voice there helps the other words you want to say or sing.

Piorun

Reaction score
The Baobab-K - an upcoming, automated mine thrower able to prepare a minefield consisting of 600 charges, as deep as 60 to 180 m and up to 1800 m in length:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Baobab-K - an upcoming, automated mine thrower able to prepare a minefield consisting of 600 charges, as deep as 60 to 180 m and up to 1800 m in length:

Looks very similar to the good old German Skorpion minelayer. But the accuracy seems to be lower, the mines bounce a lot more after deployment.

Minenwerfer_Skorpion_04.JPG

Piorun

Reaction score
Looks very similar to the good old German Skorpion minelayer. But the accuracy seems to be lower, the mines bounce a lot more after deployment.
It's the successor of an earlier minelaying system, called Kroton. The mines used are MN-123 with non-contact fuses - to activate them, it is enough for an enemy vehicle to cover them with its outline (e.g. a tank taking them between its tracks) so I guess precision is not that much required. A lot also depends on the ground, at lower temperatures or at lower water content, it is harder which makes bouncing more probable.

WG0fBedL4sfr8GFvf3Ui1Eo8TXIWa9IvY1q1Vg2Q.qdd5.jpg

SWP2014-0039.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For comparison, that is the old German one, removed from service in 2011. (The video was made in 1988 - it is really antique)

(Also you see the top secret NATO weapon in that video, that still did not reach the eastern parts of the former USSR...)

Piorun

Reaction score
(The video was made in 1988 - it is really antique)
That's Bundeswehr's Classix - one of the best made things I've saw on the YT! ;) I like especially that one about the Leopard:

For comparison, that is the old German one, removed from service in 2011.
Those Skorpions look agile, maneuverable and quite quick. On the other hand, the Jelcz trucks (especially the 8x8 ones) are impressive but sometimes more compact solutions might be needed, and in military media it is said that the Baobab-K system will be parallely developed as a tracked vehicle (just like the Skorpions and Krotons).

The mines that were used by the Skorpions look somewhat heavier and thus more stable when deployed on the ground. In contrast, the mines intended to be used by the Baobab-K are rather lightweight disks - slightly heavier than my puppy dog and that might be the reason of their bouncing.