Internet Video Thread

Piorun

Reaction score
I don't think that higher sea-walls could prevent the next accident, because there will always be a higher wave (Don't make me recite "Trutz blanke Hans" there). I think more important is that the critical gear has to stay intact even when their building is flooded. Also all new powerplants planned should consider the effects of climate change, for example making sure that their primary heat sink is always available and can last through heat waves. Warmer water in reserviors of rivers means always that the efficiency of the powerplant drops.

Higher walls of course will not guarantee prevention of every next flooding, still they might absorb a part of increased impetus of such larger waves and decrease them. They are the first "line of defence" against flooding, not the only one, therefore further protective solutions are inevitable - and just like as you said, they should be constantly being improved to keep the critical equipment intact. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and this universal rule applies to nuclear power as well. From what I know, higher temperatures have already become a noticeable concern when it comes to reactor coolant - the problem exists now and it will be only becoming stronger.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Higher walls of course will not guarantee prevention of every next flooding, still they might absorb a part of increased impetus of such larger waves and decrease them. They are the first "line of defence" against flooding, not the only one, therefore further protective solutions are inevitable - and just like as you said, they should be constantly being improved to keep the critical equipment intact.

This only a solution again normal waves, not tsunami. A tsunami has multiple km wavelength, that keeps its momentum.