Hardware Want to buy/build a new computer... Suggestions?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
So, I've had a low-end but functional laptop for a number of years now, with much success. It does just about everything I ask of it, albeit sometimes not very well. However, it is getting a little slow and underpowered, and I'm looking at getting a desktop as my main system. However, my budget is a bit tight right now, and I'd prefer to keep things as inexpensive as possible.

So, let me lay out what I'm looking for:
-A dedicated graphics card that can be replaced later if finances allow
-Intel i5 or equivalent processor (or better if not much more expensive)
-The ability for me to essentially port across my current OS and associated software from my laptop.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking at, like build or buy, any brands to avoid, etc?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Remember: The sum of the number in the GPU model and the number in the CPU model should not be divisible by 7. :jiggy:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You can port your old system over to the new one, but you should clone the old hhd, boot the laptop with the new drive, then run Sysprep tool. After that you can put the hhd in the new computer.

Certainly you can do things cheaper, I5's are good value and a value end Nvidia card would work well too. But a few weeks after you forget the price you paid and I think getting a system that meets or exceeds your need off the bat is the best way to go.

For a new system I would get I5, GTX 960, 16GB ram. That would be good value and good performance.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, basically I want a computer that can run most current games at a reasonable graphics setting. (Star Citizen is excluded in this, as my friend with a $2000 gaming rig has issues with it :lol:)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, basically I want a computer that can run most current games at a reasonable graphics setting. (Star Citizen is excluded in this, as my friend with a $2000 gaming rig has issues with it :lol:)
My current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K, OC'ed to 4.5 GHz, cooled by CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: 16 GB, 2xHyperX Savage DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Prime storage: Crucial 250 GB SSD
Secondary storage: HyperX Savage 250 GB SSD
Tertiary storage (legacy): SeaGate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: CoolerMaster B600 600W

This one runs everything I use it for very nicely and very quietly as well.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
desktop

Hi there I bought an all in one HP Pavilion 23 with a wireless keyboard and mouse its got an Nvidz graphics board and flys along they are a couple of years old now so you might be able to get a good deal on them look for the quad core one like mine it runs great. I have to move mine at night so an all in one works great only one cable so no problems
I cant recommend it more especially for orbiter but try to stay in windows 8 as I changed over and it slowed it down, had to go back.
I paid 850 Euros for it but you can get them a lot cheaper now
David

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just to say, I built my system in 2012, I5-2320 @ 3Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 2TB Segagate, ATI 5830 1GB.

In 2013, I bought a 250GB SSD and moved the Operating System onto it keeping the 2TB hard drive, 2015 I upgraded the graphics card to a GTX 960 2GB.

The system is still going strong. Just make sure the core part of the system is recent ie the MB & CPU (probably RAM too) and the system will keep for years only needing to upgrade non core parts.

Advances in x86 core hardware has been pathetic in recent years which is why my core system is still serving me well. Don't pay extra for i7's thou, i5 is almost as good performance per clock speed, i7's just have hyperthreading enabled or that was the case when I bought my i5.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't pay extra for i7's thou, i5 is almost as good performance per clock speed, i7's just have hyperthreading enabled or that was the case when I bought my i5.

About this... It depends.

i5 are two cores processors, with two hyperthreads per core. i7 are four cores, with two hyperthreads per core.

I agree that, usually, two cores are enough - unless you do some heavy virtualizing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

i5 are two cores processors, with two hyperthreads per core. i7 are four cores, with two hyperthreads per core.

I agree that, usually, two cores are enough - unless you do some heavy virtualizing.

Enough yes, but not really optimal. Even if you are not planning to virtualize much, its also a matter what happens to the background tasks. The more cores you can devote to the foreground application or game, the better in general, but more than two cores are not needed for Orbiter right now.

More modern games based on a recent DirectX version make better use of the cores.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
That actually depends on the model...

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, when I bought my i5, it had 4 cores where as the i7 had 4 cores with HT enabled.
i3's were 2 cores with HT enabled and the Celeron was just 2 cores.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, my current laptop runs an i3 and it's been adequate for daily tasks and light gaming. I figured that making the upgrade to an i5 would be more than enough for my needs.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I am also (veeery slowly) looking into a new pc in this period, and a few weeks ago I've stumbled upon this i5 5765, which I hadn't heard of before.
Ok, it's an oldish model and maybe not so "futureproof", but I think it's got bang for the bucks if one wants to save some money.

Intel’s Core i5-5675C and Core i7-5775C are the first socketed desktop processors with Intel’s most advanced on-die graphics engine, Iris Pro Graphics 6200.

This Iris Pro graphics could then replace (of course with some compromise/performance cost) a dedicated GPU, so you end up with a cheaper, cooler, quieter gaming system.
All 3 good arguments, if you ask me :thumbup:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169.html

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu

No: on the desktop side of things i5 are quad-cores without hyperthreading. On the mobile side on the other hand both they and (most) i7 are dual core with hyperthreading, while desktop CPUs sold under the name "i7" can have up to 10 cores.

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Back to topic: here a quick mid-ish range build I threw together, including the OS, but you already have one available. Now the question is: what is your budget hard-ceiling and what do you need the PC to be able to do?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $905.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-05 08:40 EDT-0400

This does not include a monitor: do you need one or are you already set?

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

I am also (veeery slowly) looking into a new pc in this period, and a few weeks ago I've stumbled upon this i5 5765, which I hadn't heard of before.
Ok, it's an oldish model and maybe not so "futureproof", but I think it's got bang for the bucks if one wants to save some money.

This Iris Pro graphics could then replace (of course with some compromise/performance cost) a dedicated GPU, so you end up with a cheaper, cooler, quieter gaming system.
All 3 good arguments, if you ask me :thumbup:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169.html

The problem is that those two CPUs, while also not being the newest, are very expensive if compared to similar "normal" CPUs which have a less powerful iGPU, such as the i5-6500 or the i7-6700. Depending on the use case (i.e. wether one does graphically intensive gaming or not) one could either save significantly more money or spend only a little bit more for a significant performance increase by also purchasing a dedicated GPU.

Last edited:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
hehe, Ripley integrated graphics is not something you want to use. They share the system memory which is always slower than on a dedicated card which currently is DDR5.

Do not get a weaker CPU because it has better integrated graphics.......... :rofl: you'll end up with a crap system.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I am not a hardware guru by any means (you guessed it?). I just wanted to toss that model here to read your qualified reactions about it.
Maybe it made some sense, maybe it won't.
:cheers:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Sorry if my response came over as a bit harsh. :cheers:

It's not that those CPUs are bad, it's that they occupy a strange spot in the market, since they are very expensive for an iGPU processor, with their integrated graphics chip being relatively powerful but not enough to represent a valid alternative to a discrete card.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am not a hardware guru by any means (you guessed it?). I just wanted to toss that model here to read your qualified reactions about it.
Maybe it made some sense, maybe it won't.
:cheers:

Maybe I judged it too harshly, saw someone using it to play fallout 4, have no idea of the quality settings thou.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For GPU, my suggestion would be to wait for the GTX 1070 to become generally available and grab that. Won't be all that expensive and it'll be plenty of graphics horsepower for most things (even VR, if you end up going that route at some point in the future).