Weightlessness

Allan

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows this..I have searched the web and came up with plenty of symptoms and effects of prolongued weightlessness but have yet to determine what "prolongued" represents.

What would be the minimum amount of time before your body would become accustomed to weightlessness?

If you were weightless for a day or perhaps two would you feel anything upon returning to an environment with gravity? Would you notice your own weight? Would you feel like its an effort to take steps?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What would be the minimum amount of time before your body would become accustomed to weightlessness?

About 72 hours for the small effects, 14 days for the long-term effects.

Turbinator

Reaction score
The best way to get a little taste of how it feels when an astronaut/cosmonaut returns to earth is to spend a few hours floating around in a ocean/sea beach (better buoyancy) or a pool.

Then climb out.

AirSimming

Reaction score
If you were weightless for a day or perhaps two would you feel anything upon returning to an environment with gravity? Would you notice your own weight? Would you feel like its an effort to take steps?

I don't think it's a significant effect/feeling after only one or two days of weightlessness.

Just watch the STS-1 postlanding (at about 08:00), when Young came out of the orbiter and walked around while being very happy that the flight was a full success:

The best way to get a little taste of how it feels when an astronaut/cosmonaut returns to earth is to spend a few hours floating around in a ocean/sea beach (better buoyancy) or a pool.

Then climb out.

Not a taste of how it feels after returning to earth, but it is also interesting that you can actually be weightless right now, in your room. Although it looks absolutely dumb from an observer point of view, but you just have to jump. It's just a tiny fraction of a second in which you will be weightless, but you can actualy feel it, even more if you jump fast and frequently. Take a bottle of water and watch it. You can watch the water going weightless in the bottle. It's also a good way to experience gravity very well :lol:

Does anybody actually ever dreamed about being weigthless? I did so a few weeks ago. It was one of the most amazing dreams I've had. It felt quite real. And it also happened within my room :lol: All I had to do was to hold my breath and the weightlessness took place immediately, almost like it is the case during injection of a parabolic flight. So I managed to be weightless for about one minute (I can actually hold my breath for 90 seconds which already is quite good I guess). But at a certain point I couldn't hold my breath for too long anymore. The result was that I was going to bounce like during a parabolic flight creating 1/6 of the earths gravity. That was when I was about to wake up which sadly ended the great dream.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Reaction score
Does anybody actually ever dreamed about being weightless?

I had a few dreams where I both went to, and was on the International Space Station. Simply the best dreams ever. Period.

All I had to do was pour over hundredths of ISS photos and documentation, when I did research for a Virtual ISS project.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I dreamt I was weightless in the Space Shuttle...woke up, pushed myself from my bed and made a epic crash landing next to it, when gravity reminded me that it is also there.

earthorbit

Desktop Crasher
Reaction score
I also dreamed of being weightless.. then i crashed in the dream and i woke up.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anybody actually ever dreamed about being weigthless?

Many times, but during several it was just flying around.