Question What are you reading?

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Point of Impact, a book in the Net Force series by Tom Clancy.

I loved the Net Force serie of Tom Clancy. I read up to Stage of War. The firsts four were in French, my native language, but the last three were in English (I couldn't find any French version at my library, weird...). My friend, a Tom Clancy fan, read the first one and found it boring, accusing Pieczenik's work. Personnaly, it was one of my favourite serie of Clancy. However, The Hunt for Red October will stay my favourite book of Tom Clancy (followed by Rainbow Six).

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
The final installment of the Space Odyssey Series.

3001: The Final Odyssey
Bookcover_3001_The_Final_Odyssey.png

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I loved the Net Force serie of Tom Clancy. I read up to Stage of War. The firsts four were in French, my native language, but the last three were in English (I couldn't find any French version at my library, weird...). My friend, a Tom Clancy fan, read the first one and found it boring, accusing Pieczenik's work. Personnaly, it was one of my favourite serie of Clancy. However, The Hunt for Red October will stay my favourite book of Tom Clancy (followed by Rainbow Six).
The Net Force series is definetly not boring. Very action packed. The Hunt of Red October is also my favorite, followed by The Sum of All Fears.
"Mockingjay", the last book in the Hunger Games.
I read all the books in the series, they're pretty good. The movie is just as great also, reccomend that you see it If you haven't already :thumbup:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Just finished Star Wars: Darth Plagueis.

Currently reading: Hamlet.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Just finished Star Wars: Darth Plagueis.

Currently reading: Hamlet.

From a guy, who can save everyones life to a book where it seems that everyone has to die, funny:thumbup:

To topic: Woyzeck by Georg Büchner and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
From a guy, who can save everyones life to a book where it seems that everyone has to die, funny:thumbup:

To topic: Woyzeck by Georg Büchner and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Well, it doesn't end too well for Plagueis or Hamlet in the end does it? :p

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Making another pass through Through Struggle, The Stars.

This may be my favorite diamond-hard military sci-fi of all time.

You have a severe misconception about the term "hard sci-fi". "Diamond-hard" are stories like "Diaspora" by Greg Egan, or "Accelerando" by Charles Stross. For an example of "merely" hard sci-fi, see Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series. You're confusing "hard" with "assuming minimal future shock".

Graham2001

Reaction score
"Slow Lighting" by Jack McDevitt (US title Infinity Beach), a novel of First, Second and Third contacts...

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Arrows to the Moon: Avro's Engineers and the Space Race by Chris Gainor

Have you seen the miniserie made by CBC in 1997 about the Arrow? I highly recommend it. There is a DVD version that was released recently, but I can't find it on CBC Shop. I bought it at HMW, but I rarely see it here in Canada. In the United-States, it's probably even harder to find.

There are a couple of scenes recreated with the Arrow, and the casting is very good (especialy Dan Aykroyd, as Crawford Gordon). The story is well explained, but is not objective on the political side (the scene with Diefenbaker is a good example).

There is an article on Wikipedia:

Last edited:

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Have you seen the miniserie made by CBC in 1997 about the Arrow? I highly recommend it. There is a DVD version that was released recently, but I can't find it on CBC Shop. I bought it at HMW, but I rarely see it here in Canada. In the United-States, it's probably even harder to find.

No, I never saw that miniseries. I've had my eye on that DVD for a while though. I'll try to find one then. Thanks for posting that video. I did watch the documentary on YouTube Never was an Arrow from 1979. When in the documentary it showed the pics of cutting up the Arrows, that was hard to look at.

Keatah

Reaction score
My old Astronomy books from when I was a baby.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Working Fire. An interesting autobiography by a firefighter.

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Right now I'm trying to reacquaint myself with Orbiter so I'm mostly having to read manuals. In particular the fairly thick Apollo NASSP manuals. :tiphat: Does any of that count? :embarrassed:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've gorged myself on the Hunger Games last week, but I DID pick up something new; an offering from Tor Books:

'Tribulations' by Ken Shufeldt.

Ark

Reaction score
Working my way through Footfall by Larry Niven again. Seems like my all-time favorite hardish sci-fi all comes from pre-2000. Niven, Baxter, Bova, Clarke, Heinlein, OSC...what gives?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Just finished "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". Now starting "Goshawk Squadron" by Derek Robinson.

littleplatonian

Reaction score
Proud of my Atheism... Finally.

I didn't know who Richard Dawkins was till I went to the Symphony of Science web site a year ago. Since then I've read The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, Climbing Mount Improbable, Unweaving the Rainbow, The God Delusion, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Evidence for Evolution, The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True, and now I'm finally reading The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.

My favorite line from a film of all time is actually a subtitle; In 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' the orangutan Maurice signs to Caesar 'humans don't like smart apes'...