Question What are you reading?

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Our city library has a relatively new program where they shelve a bunch of new and popular books with red tags on the spine, which means they can't be reserved, nor do they show up in catalog searches. You can only find them by browsing. I found David Mitchell's Bone Clocks on the shelf today and am looking forward to digging into it.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm about to start "The Drowned World" by J.G. Ballard.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Centauri Dreams - Imagining and planning interstellar flight by Paul Gilster. Published in 2004, certainly partly out of date, but still a very good read, and pretty damn complicated.:blink:

llarian

Reaction score
Decided I needed the testosterone hit and a trip to ages past: John Norman's Gorean Saga. Started off at the beginning with "Tarnsman of Gor".

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
@ Loru,
Yeah, I've been a fan of the Bolo series for quite a few years. "Old Guy" is a fitting tribute to the genre, while these cybertanks aren't Bolos, what he's doing wit the story is pretty excellent.
Keith Laumer's stories really set the stage for anything that come after. David Weber did a great job picking up the torch, he just didn't carry it too far (but then again, he's got the Harrington series as his flagship line of stories).

dyonan88

Reaction score
Website
youressayhelper.com
I'm currently reading the 50 shades of grey though my teacher wants me to read the Crisis management course materials:thumbup:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you follow George Takai on facebook, he had a girl post that she was reading the 50 shades books. It seems the main character (the girl not the guy) says "Oh my" every page or something. Well, she started hearing his voice as the lead girl, and William Shatner in his Capt Kirk voice as Mr. Grey.

She had to stop reading it because it suddenly became a comedy.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you follow George Takai on facebook, he had a girl post that she was reading the 50 shades books. It seems the main character (the girl not the guy) says "Oh my" every page or something. Well, she started hearing his voice as the lead girl, and William Shatner in his Capt Kirk voice as Mr. Grey.

She had to stop reading it because it suddenly became a comedy.

That's beautiful. :lol:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just got The Martian, by Andy Weir. Really excited to get into it.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I just started Blood Red Snow, a memoir by a Wehrmacht soldier who fought at Stalingrad. The story of how he wrote the memoir is interesting in and of itself; he actually ended up writing about his experiences on any scrap of paper he could find, and stored them in the lining of his winter coat!

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
If audio books count I'm currently listening to a 1970's recording of The Time Machine By H G Wells and will follow it with War of the Worlds.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Pioneer Venus (NASA SP-461) by Richard O. Fimmel, et al

I'm not really "reading" it per se, not straight through or anything like that, but i picked this gem up recently used for about 5 bux. I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book to any avid orbinaut. It is absolutely awesome with tons of drawings and mission diagrams, instrument schematics and detailed explanations of science method, flight profiles... IT'S SO COOL! I wish there was a book like this for all NASA missions

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Mars trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Now the third part, "Blue mars". Very good hard sci-fi set in the near future, but a bit long-winded at times.

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just started Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel. I'm reading it in French, because it was cheaper (???). I think the translation was made by his parents or something, it says "Translated from English by Nicole and Émile Martel" at the beginning of the novel.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Just finished The Martian, by Andy Weir :cool: as recomended here. It was a good read, thanks!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I have never read 1984 so when I had the opportunity to pick the book up the other day I did. For book that is 60 years old it's very well written and has a very engrossing storyline.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Got about half-way through The Mote in God's Eye before it had to go back to the library (I don't spend as much time reading as I used to).

Terrific book. Good science, good biology, good politics...and tales of the distant future always fascinate me:)