Poll What flight sim do you prefer and why?

Which do you prefer?

• Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9)

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX)

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • X-Plane 9

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Flight Gear

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Orbiter

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters

Foxtrot1

Reaction score
I use FSX mostly since it has a ton of addon aircraft. But its a little hard to find some good freeware planes with decent flight models. Also it has good terrain (orbiter could use an update:please:) Only downside is I have to play with reduced graphics otherwise my PC would burst into flames.

Orbiter is my go to space sim for sure.:hailprobe: I haven't found anything out there that compares to it.

The other one I play is Open Falcon and Free Falcon (formerly known as Falcon 4) It's the best F-16 flight sim ever and also allows you to fly other military aircraft. However, Free Falcon has issues at the moment with certain Nividia cards/drivers and all ATI cards (to my knowledge) and Open Falcon can only be played on XP (not a problem if you dual boot). But the game is amazing. So until they get the graphics issues fixed I'm using Falcon 4: Allied Force. Its a good game just not as shiny as FF or OF.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I downloaded the X-Plane 9 demo, I definitely felt the realism, the runways felt more 'natural' they weren't 100% smooth and flat as they are in FSX, I found the graphics to be terrible unless they were in the immediate area of a runway, the water and clouds especially stood out to me, the clouds were just a flat texture layer of smudged white spread across the sky and the water seemed very still, personally I'm sticking with FSX. (Yes, I realize that X-Plane isn't made to have graphics. it's mostly for realism but still. :p)

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
Since someone posted a startup procedure, I might as well post mine, this time, Falcon 4: Allied Force. I made this three years ago, and I honestly barely can recall the procedure now lol which is why I'm glad I made this video (been too much into IL2, Orbiter and GE Flightsim lately):

I've been a fan of Falcon since version v1.0 (1987!), and have used Falcon AT, Falcon 1.0 for the Amiga, Falcon v3.0(5), Vanilla Falcon v4.08 (came out in 1998), Falcon 4 SP2-through-SP4, Freefalcon 3.0, and now Falcon 4: Allied Force. For a short while I was part of its modding community, making some control panel textures for heavy birds like the B-52.

-RODION

Last edited:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
If I diddnt have the X64 menu issue I would say Microsoft Flight Simulator X in a heartbeat. But for now I am using X-plane 9 while I await MS Flight.

Mantis

Reaction score
I use Orbiter more than any other simulator but it simulates spacecraft rather than aircraft so I don't classify it as a flight simulator. Rather, I put it in a class on it's own as a spaceflight simulator. Of the flight simulators available (meaning atmospheric flight with aircraft), I'd say FSX hands down. It's realistic and visually stunning. I have very high end computer hardware and it really comes to life on my system.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I use Orbiter more than any other simulator but it simulates spacecraft rather than aircraft so I don't classify it as a flight simulator. Rather, I put it in a class on it's own as a spaceflight simulator. Of the flight simulators available (meaning atmospheric flight with aircraft), I'd say FSX hands down. It's realistic and visually stunning. I have very high end computer hardware and it really comes to life on my system.

Do you have Win 7 64 bit by chance? If so next time you go in can you go through FSX menus. (Like right click view menu) alot and see if it crashes for you? From what I am reading my issue is very common in X64 bit Win 7 due to 2 different DLL files being called for those menus.

Lambo

I miss IRC
Reaction score
My most used Flight Simulator is FSX. I've invested money into it and... it always keeps me entertained.

Do you have Win 7 64 bit by chance? If so next time you go in can you go through FSX menus. (Like right click view menu) alot and see if it crashes for you? From what I am reading my issue is very common in X64 bit Win 7 due to 2 different DLL files being called for those menus.

Zachstar, sounds like the UIAutomationCore.dll. I have FSX on Windows 7 x64 and had the same issue, especially while flying with the PMDG MD11. I replaced that dll with one more appropriate and have never had the issue since. I'm not sure of where, but I know there are links to it on AVSIM (where I got my copy). It's worth doing if you want to enjoy FSX.

halcyon

Reaction score
Orbiter isn't a flight sim, it's a space sim and is disqualified from that poll.
That said, FSX. I've spent a lot of money on addons. What did I get for all that?
Screenshots like this :D

17.png

I also run Win 7 64 bit, and I also had the same problems with CTDs until I applied the UIAutomationCore.dll fix. What you actually do is use the Vista version of the .dll and register it on your Win 7 64bit system.
I actually spent about 20 minutes looking for a thread I swear I saw dedicated to the issue but I can't find it again. Just google UIAutomationCore.dll and you'll get plenty of hits.
And MS Flight? Meh. It'll be years before any decent amount of quality addons are made for it. I won't switch anytime soon.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am partial to all flight sims, FSX and Orbiter the most because of their extreme realistic flight dynamics.

Przemek77

Soyuz pilot
Reaction score
- Flight Sim 2004 - but only with a good addons (from Wilco, Level-D, FlightOne, Project Tupolev etc) ; default aircrafts are too easy and too unrealistic.
- Orbiter
- Space Shuttle Mission 2007 - for very complexing STS simulation - i think that the SSM2007 is a something like "sequel" for old DOS game Shuttle from Virgin.

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
FSX. I've used FLight gear quite some time ago. Been meaning to try Il-2, since it looks fun. But, I hit FSX less than I do orbiter, so my opinion isn't very strong or anything.

Mantis

Reaction score

I do but I've never had a crashing problem with FSX.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Wow, that Hind thing was impressive!

Alas, I seem to be the only Flight Gear fan here:( It is to this day the most realistic flight simulation I have ever encountered, if rather heavy-weight. I had to go online and download real sectional charts and airport information to use it, and that Piper Warrior is not very forgiving. Love it!

I use FG every once in a while, but it's not quite caught on for me. Mostly I use X-Plane. It's been a while since I did much serious stuff in Orbiter, though I keep telling myself I'll go back.

FG is still the best in the business, IMHO:thumbup:

YS Flight is also a good light-weight alternative, and will be my backup until I can get a joystick to work with Linux.

Which distribution? I've got a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas that works fine on Ubuntu.

I downloaded the X-Plane 9 demo, I definitely felt the realism, the runways felt more 'natural' they weren't 100% smooth and flat as they are in FSX,

That can be good or bad depending on how accurate the terrain mesh is around the runway.

I found the graphics to be terrible unless they were in the immediate area of a runway, the water and clouds especially stood out to me, the clouds were just a flat texture layer of smudged white spread across the sky and the water seemed very still,

Have you tried turning "water reflection level" to "complete"? It doesn't make things perfect, but it does improve the look of the water. (Although it also exposes a rather amusing bug).

But yes, X-Plane doesn't have the best graphics out there.

Orbiter isn't a flight sim, it's a space sim and is disqualified from that poll.

The boundaries between "space sim" and "flight sim" get very fuzzy as soon as you hit the upper atmosphere. Orbiter may not have the best atmospheric flight model, but it does have one. (And X-Plane may not let you do anything outside of Earth orbit, but it can simulate spaceflight).

vinny5000

Reaction score
My favorite flight sim is Elite from elite simulations solutions. My favorite flight sim elite comes with real avionics stack, real rudder pedals, and a real flight console! My favorite space sims is space way and space engine because I really like the orbital flight, interplanetary flight, interstellar flight, and the intergalactic flight, and the SSMS 2007!

Cheers,
Vincent

Melvin

Reaction score
FSX for me, and have been playing Aces High for the last 3 years.

Of course Orbiter is fantastic.