What if spaceshuttle landed in a city? -2001:Space Oddity-

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would like to make visual effects like those!

Wrong label. The town was LA and the sequence was taken from the movie "The core".

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I suppose they would try to land at an airport, not in the city streets.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Really. The better animation sequences with motion blur are from "The Core", interlaced with own shots of Cape Town with a non-blurred Shuttle inside.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Really. The better animation sequences with motion blur are from "The Core", interlaced with own shots of Cape Town with a non-blurred Shuttle inside.
What regions of the video, by time, are from "The Core"?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What regions of the video, by time, are from "The Core"?

The shot with the Shuttle from below, in front of the blue bright sky, is for example one.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The shot with the Shuttle from below, in front of the blue bright sky, is for example one.

As any American (or at least, anyone who's been to Los Angeles) can tell you, there's no such thing as "blue bright sky" in Los Angeles.

In the Cape Town video, there are a few such shots from below with the bright blue sky:
@1:39
@1:47
@1:50
@1:53
None of those scenes have the motion blur that you claim comes from The Core.

For reference, here's the scene from The Core:

The only similar shots from The Core scene:
@4:05 (not the same, sky is gray, and at an angle)
@4:53 (this is the closest, but it's at a different angle from all the ones in the Cape Town video)
@5:19 (high AOA and gray sky)

Moreover, the Cape Town video is (according to the in-video comments) from 2001. This is corroborated by a reference to the video from a forum post dated May, 2002 -- http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-7448.html . "The Core" wasn't released until March 2003.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nevertheless, Core-bashing is called for, now and always!
Hehe, I've never seen it, and after seeing that scene I don't think I will be seeing it anytime soon.

The scenes are very similar, though. I'd be curious as to what the maker of the cape town video thinks about it.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey I think its OK for a short comic film.

P.S. The Core SUCKS!

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As any American (or at least, anyone who's been to Los Angeles) can tell you, there's no such thing as "blue bright sky" in Los Angeles.

In the Cape Town video, there are a few such shots from below with the bright blue sky:
@1:39
@1:47
@1:50
@1:53
None of those scenes have the motion blur that you claim comes from The Core.

For reference, here's the scene from The Core:
YouTube - The Core -Comical use of the "Flight Computer"-.

The only similar shots from The Core scene:
@4:05 (not the same, sky is gray, and at an angle)
@4:53 (this is the closest, but it's at a different angle from all the ones in the Cape Town video)
@5:19 (high AOA and gray sky)

Moreover, the Cape Town video is (according to the in-video comments) from 2001. This is corroborated by a reference to the video from a forum post dated May, 2002 -- http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-7448.html . "The Core" wasn't released until March 2003.

gear down is much more perminant

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The Core's an awesome film, guys! It's only 20 minutes long. You get to see the kind-of-cool-though-unrealistic Shuttle landing, then after you've been told the premise and turned off your TV in disgust, you can go off and do other things.

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
Why, in movies, do they always put the noise of the rcs and the engines when they fire? I recently saw the IMAX movie Magnificient Desolation and was really disapointed. For a movie that's supposed to be at least a bit scientific, I was shocked with all the noise they added.

And why the hell didn't they opened the drag chute and used the wheel brakes when they needed to stop?:eek:hthedrama:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why, in movies, do they always put the noise of the rcs and the engines when they fire? I recently saw the IMAX movie Magnificient Desolation and was really disapointed. For a movie that's supposed to be at least a bit scientific, I was shocked with all the noise they added.

1 of 2 reasons (or both combined): moviemakers are stupid, or moviemakers dumb down movies for stupid veiwers. I'm guessing both.

Don't these cities have runways?

In the Core, they landed in the LA sewer ditch...er...LA "River". Why they didn't just hang a turn and land at LAX I have no idea. Of course the reason they were off course was so stupid the whole movie was blown in the first 5 minutes, anyway. Only reason I watched it was because at the time I was trapped away from home in a hotel room which had Cinemax and played this movie over and over and over and over and over until my brain exploded....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You should not watch the core, with brain active... bad error. But without thinking about the many errors, it is a nice action movie, with good visual effects and some better than average character development.

Also, the RCS sound of the Orbiter spacecraft is also not realistic, but better than nothing. If you would be inside the spacecraft, you would have a metallic ring in the sound, from the echo of the RCS impulse traveling all over the metal hull. Shuttle astronauts describe the sound as a giant hammering on the hull.