General Question What is the cross range for DGIV

thuylinhphuong

Reaction score
I just reenter DGIV from ISS to wideawake with about 500Km off plane distance,and I did the deorbit burn little late.during the reentry i bank to the left around 70 to get over off plane distance but around 50KM ALT the nose first over heated. I try to reduce bank and rise AOA, than seconds after DGIV destroyed.
Does 500KM is too much? DGIV said my reenter angle is only 0.8 with a max G 4.8.

The DGIV was the one released December last year.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cross range ? You mean the distance you can glide during reentry ? Much more than 500 km, you should be in the 2000-3000 km range. My guess is that your reentry angle is too steep.

Or you mean the distance you can deviate from your orbit ground track ? 500 km should probably be doable.

Anyway your AoA should not exceed 40°. Remember, AoA is the angle between the nose of your spacecraft and the airflow.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
500 km cross range should be fine, the DGIV has more L/D than the Shuttle at hypersonic speed, but you should remember to watch your G-load during reentry to control your bank angle:

G load too high -> reduce bank angle
G load too low -> slowly increase bank angle.

If you try to keep 1.6G during reentry and a 0.8° initial reentry angle, you should not overheat. The DGIV also has a reentry autopilot, AFAIR.