General Question What is the maximum number of vehicles that can be present in a single scene

Reaction score
I know that the number of vehicles is going to be influenced by computer performance, but I'm looking for a general number for a medium high end computer. Also, what are the hard limits (if any)?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I know that the number of vehicles is going to be influenced by computer performance, but I'm looking for a general number for a medium high end computer. Also, what are the hard limits (if any)?

This one for Martin, but you'll be limited by your CPU's ability to propagate vessel positions to the next timestep loooooooooong before you hit the enumerated hard limit. RAM and VRAM are also a concern with textures.

My best advice is to try it and let us know. It'll vary with vessel class, but a good place to start is Deltagliders.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or if you want to test raw limits, do something simple like Carina.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Posted this a couple years ago:
With the minigun that I made a couple years ago, I had the rounds disappear ~20seconds after being fired. If you haven't hit anything by that point, you probably won't be hitting anything ever. It was running ~600rounds per minute, I think, which put 200 rounds in the air from a single gun at a time, and I never noticed slowdown if vessel labels were turned off. With vessel labels on there was a definite framerate hit.

It might become an issue if you have several things all firing at once, but with just the one there wasn't an issue, even though each round wasn't just a "dumb" config vessel--each timestep, each round was doing calculations to move itself (to avoid plasma trails in atmosphere) and determine how much it should stretch (to give the effect of the round travelling several meters during one frame of video).
With three guns going (~600 vessels in flight) there was no slowdown if vessel name labels were off, and that computer is about 8 years old at this point.

That said, those vessels weren't all being rendered at the same time (they quickly left the view distance since they were so small), so YMMV.

Reaction score
Thats fine. I was more thinking of orbiting satellites and the like. Im planning on firing quite a few satellites into orbit, so most of these vehicles wont be in view most of the time.

Speaking of which, is there any addons that allow basic automated stationkeeping for small satellites? Something where I can fire someting into geosynchronous orbit and leave it there without having to check on it every 15 minutes?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Tried making Von Neuman machines once.
Lags started at 1024 vessels, and 20 seconds later at about 4096 it all but froze.
No hard limit - performance is the only limiting factor.

vnm.jpg

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Thats a lovely image :)

You are talking about self-replicating machines ?