Poll What question will you ask the ISS astronauts ?

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
RT to talk live with space crew, put your questions

April 17, 2015

On April 21, RT’s Peter Scott will host a live Q&A session with Mikhail Korniyenko and Scott Kelly, current crew members of the International Space Station. Submit your questions!

Roscosmos cosmonaut Korniyenko and NASA astronaut Kelly arrived on the ISS last month with their colleague Gennady Padalka. The space duo will talk with RT’s Moscow studio for some 20 minutes, starting 12:45 Moscow time (09:45 GMT) next Tuesday.

RT will pick the questions it deems the most interesting among those sent. Just comment to this article, or post your question on Twitter or Facebook with the #cosmotrek hashtag.

rt-live-space-station112.si.jpg

http://rt.com/news/250573-rt-live-space-station/

My question to the ISS crew:

Can you hear the sound of meteor showers, is it like raining days on roof tiles on earth? Can you please make a sound recording mp4 file for us earhtlings, of the current April 16th to 25th 2015 Lyrids Meteor Shower? Good flight, and thank you. Soheil_Esy

My subsidiary question to the ISS crew:

What is the largest human made structure visible from space, can you identify the following picture?

ku-xlarge.jpg

Hint:
The Grasberg mine is the largest gold mine in the world and third largest copper mine in the world. The mine is located in the province of Papua in Indonesia near latitude 4.053 S and longitude 137.116 E. The mining operation at Grasberg consists of both open pit and underground mines. The Grasberg open pit is more than 550m deep and has a diameter of 4 Km.

Last edited:

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm... Do you mean any noise made by radio wave interference? I'm not an astronaut, but I would hazard a guess that there would be no actual sound due to space being hard vacuum. Or do you mean meteors hitting the ISS? They would indeed make sounds, but at the speeds the meteors are travelling they may just punch holes in the ISS too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The meteor showers are just dust, you hardly hear much in the ISS because of them. Especially since the ISS is a VERY noise place inside. Alone because of the life support system.

MikeB

Reaction score
Especially since the ISS is a VERY noise place inside. Alone because of the life support system.

Maybe not a question for ISS astro/cosmonauts, but does anyone have a sound file of the ISS background noise? It might be nice to have a realistic sound file for Orbiter Sound ambient noise. If not, maybe the ISS crew could make one for us. :)

So here's an actual question: Can the crew tell anything about what's happening in the station just by listening? If taken blindfolded to some place in the station, can a crew member tell where they are by sound alone?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe not a question for ISS astro/cosmonauts, but does anyone have a sound file of the ISS background noise? It might be nice to have a realistic sound file for Orbiter Sound ambient noise. If not, maybe the ISS crew could make one for us. :)

So here's an actual question: Can the crew tell anything about what's happening in the station just by listening? If taken blindfolded to some place in the station, can a crew member tell where they are by sound alone?
Here's what's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iss+tour

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
More question to the ISS astronauts

My subsidiary question to the ISS crew:

Dear astronauts,

What is the largest human made structure visible from space, can you identify the following picture?
Have a good flight, and thank you.

Soheil_Esy

D8A.jpg

Hint:
The Grasberg mine is the largest gold mine in the world and third largest copper mine in the world. The mine is located in the province of Papua in Indonesia near latitude 4.053 S and longitude 137.116 E. The mining operation at Grasberg consists of both open pit and underground mines. The Grasberg open pit is more than 550m deep and has a diameter of 4 Km.