Which Modelling Software?

Which application do you use for modelling?

• Anim8or

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Blender

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • GMax

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • AC3D

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Wings3D

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • XSI

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 3DS Max

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Maya

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
I'm just interested in seeing who uses what for modelling. Please don't turn this thread into an arguement about which is best, but feel free to explain features etc.

Last edited:

Cobalt

Reaction score
anim8or. A couple of tutorials and I'm able to do a few things with no previous 3D modeling experience.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wings3D. Free and very easy to start modelling simple things, but also very powerful once you learn it.

Sir William

Reaction score
Alibre Design

Actually, my favourite CAD-program is Alibre Design Xpress (not on the list). This software is a stripped and free(!) version of the professional version*, which cost nearly as much as AutoCAD!

Dowload it from here:
http://www.alibre.com/

*~ $1500

xeoncat

Reaction score
I use 3d studio max not because it is the best but because it is the one I'm confortable with. And it has Unwrap UVW modifier, which is a really easy tool to flatten faces and paint the texture in a image editor.

legios

Reaction score
I use Caligari Truespace. Like xeoncat, I'm just used to it's interface now. Although, I've been meaning to check out Maya for it's fabric / fluid dynamic simulations.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I now use Blender a lot. I used to use 3D Studio, but I like to do low-level polygon editing, and in Blender I know all the tricks for that.

I also have a part-time job where I get paid for making a CAD application :beach:. It's conceptually a bit different from other modelers, but I might just add an exporter to a common 3D format and use it for my own modeling. OTOH it's not yet really point-and-drag, so it's not really useful for the more artistic work.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
When I first got involved with Orbiter, everyone was using Anim8or, as it was freely available. I 'cut my teeth' on it, and it's a pretty decent program. Since then, I've done alot of work in Second Life, and SL has it's own built in modeling tools, albeit, not useful for creating exportable objects in a useful format, and the modeling tools are a bit limited too. I've played around with blender a bit, but it's complex, and has a funky, (but supposedly really good once-u-get-used-to-it) interface. Same with 3DS Max, I haven't worked through the tuts to get proficient at it as of yet. So for the time being, it's anim8tor, UVMapper (free version) and Photoshop CS2 for texturing. :)

Major Tom

Aircraftman
Reaction score
Actually, my favourite CAD-program is Alibre Design Xpress (not on the list). This software is a stripped and free(!) version of the professional version*, which cost nearly as much as AutoCAD!

Dowload it from here:
http://www.alibre.com/

*~ $1500

This is a great program. Very powerful. BTW it is going for $1900 now.