why gemini spacecraf haven't escape tower?

Turbinator

Reaction score
Gemini_12_seat600.jpg

gemini_34rs.jpg

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Could you imagine if the chute deployed to early and being pulled by the chute with the rocket. :rofl:

Darren

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Could you imagine if the chute deployed to early and being pulled by the chute with the rocket. :rofl:

Darren

Very unlikely, although many other disaster scenarios were probable with use of such emergency escape system. An escape tower is more adequate for a capsule sitting on top of a rocket.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that Gemini used the retro engines as a LES. Is that even possible? I also thought that ejection seats were pretty much useless in a spacecraft because of airflow and Gs (or something like that, the Shuttle had ejection seats for the first few flights but they were taken out because they weren't worth the weight).

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Well surely you laugh when a UMMU accidentally de-orbits?

Or I'm just sick. I'm probably just sick.

Darren

No I don't laugh when a UMMU deorbits. About the only time I have deliberately deorbited an astronaut was some kind of skydiving from a space elevator and the astronaut had a heatshield and parachute.

Anything otherwise is just sick.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
No I don't laugh when a UMMU deorbits. About the only time I have deliberately deorbited an astronaut was some kind of skydiving from a space elevator and the astronaut had a heatshield and parachute.

Anything otherwise is just sick.
Well I'm sure you're in the minority there I'm sure most of the people here laugh their head off haven't you seen the ways to kill a ummu thread? Ever noticed the [Humor] tag at the front?

Darren

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Of course it depends... The ejection seat has to provide a longer burn than the ones you find in combat aircrafts, to bring astronauts far enough to be safe from any harm. But yes, an escape tower is better, especially for aborts on the pad !