Why is My Model Flipped Horizontally?

Tchail

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm having a really wierd problem when I bring a mesh into Orbiter.

For some reason, my models get flipped in the -x direction.

That is, the left side of my model is now the right, and vice-versa.

My models look fine when viewed in 3ds Max and in MeshWizard.

(Now, I know the obvious thing to do would be to bring my model into 3ds Max and scale in the -x direction, but the wierd thing is that didn't seem to work.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tchail

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Hey Guys,

I'm having a really wierd problem when I bring a mesh into Orbiter.

For some reason, my models get flipped in the -x direction.

That is, the left side of my model is now the right, and vice-versa.

My models look fine when viewed in 3ds Max and in MeshWizard.

(Now, I know the obvious thing to do would be to bring my model into 3ds Max and scale in the -x direction, but the wierd thing is that didn't seem to work.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tchail

This might help;

In Orbiter, when looking forward (toward the nose from the aft end of the ship), axes are as follows:

+X = right (i.e., starboard), -X = left (i.e., port)
+Y = up, -Y = down
+Z = forward (toward the nose), -Z = aft (toward the tail)

Also, are you landed? you could have your landing points mixed up which might account for the mesh being rotated, but not working.
:cheers:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Open in orbiter Orbitersdk folder,than folder utils.
There run a Shipedit.exe,than load mesh,go on transform and mirror x...it will change left and right side,after of course save mesh.
After this you need to open your mesh file with notepad and scrol to the end and write again texture.dds...
Before editing open mesh and copy texture name than just return when you flip it.

Tchail

Reaction score
Thanks Liber!

It's wierd, but that did the trick.

No, I wasn't landed, I was just having a problem when exporting my models from 3ds Max into Orbiter.

Cheers!

-Tchail

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Thanks Liber!

It's wierd, but that did the trick.

No, I wasn't landed, I was just having a problem when exporting my models from 3ds Max into Orbiter.

Cheers!

-Tchail

My meshes are alway fliped after export to orbiter,than just mirror with ship tools...

Tchail

Reaction score
Hey Liber,

If meshes are always flipped after export to Orbiter, does that have any effect on the locations of thrusters and docking ports that I have defined in my .ini and .cfg files?

-Tchail

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Hey Liber,

If meshes are always flipped after export to Orbiter, does that have any effect on the locations of thrusters and docking ports that I have defined in my .ini and .cfg files?

-Tchail

If you make perfect simetrical mesh than no worry but if is slighty of center,than convert mesh into object with this:[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3101"]Mesh2Object V1.1[/ame]
Open with anim8tor and for dock select group,make new group and two fast click on group and you got correct position.
This how I got location of dock,engin etc...
I mean,after exporting to orbiter mesh,convert it to object and than editing ini file...:p

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
what utility are you using to export the mesh to orbiter from 3dsmax because i also use 3ds and i do not have that problem.