X-38 CRV request

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
With all the station building going on, I think it would be nice to have the X-38 crew rescue vehicle. Would anyone be interested in making it? There was one on Avisim, but it have gone missing with all the other Orbiter files. I consitered making it myself as my first project but it would take me years just to learn were to start. Just a request.

Here's a link for people who don't know about it.
http://www.aerospaceguide.net/space_planes/x-38.html

Zerofay32

Fireproof

Reaction score
as you first post when your finsh with it can you PM it to me please

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Urwumpe. I may start this project as my first for add-on after all. I think it was a good idea at least. But I also understand the reasons the project was cancelled. I have been using the HL-20 since I started the thread but the maybe after some more research I can have enough to start an add-on. I'll post if I do, but it will take me some time to get my feet wet but I like the thought of being able to make whatever I need for orbiter (after learning the ropes). I'll think about it, it's starting to sound like fun. Thanks Again.

Zerofay32

Spicer

Reaction score
I realize that the x-38 was a real craft, the HL-20 is only conjectural, but how similar would they have been?

Is it possible to use the HL-20 as a basis for the x-38? I'm no developer, but it may only need superficial changes!:speakcool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The HL-20 is not completely fictional - it existed at least as wind tunnel model and was the US research clone of the Russian lifting bodies.

Lifting bodies are not weaker as capsules, they can take the same accelerations when build properly. But they have the tendency for higher heating rates. That's what makes them a show stopper for high speed reentries like returning from the moon.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The HL-20 seemed like a great alternative to the shuttle - similar level of reusability without all of the stack debris problems. It seems NASA is very good at cranking out ideas of good potential and getting them about 50% of the way to fruition before the axe falls.

I think NASA won't be flying ships too much longer. If Space X and others can get their acts together, NASA's best role will be for research to support commercial ventures (something like the DOE role in the power industry).

Spicer

Reaction score
Yea, but with Space X's record so far...I don't know.

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com
I've got a basic model collecting dust on my HDD. It's based ont he V201 version, that almost went up. Images here:

picture.php

picture.php