Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Slowly cutting more holes

pas-win01.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Payload bay with 3.6m diameter module support:

XRcbay0001.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

max module lenght: 10 meters

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Some "magical sci-fi" tech: "Double plank" scram engines along with cutout.

doubleplank_scrams.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

And cargo bay doors modelled:

XRcbay0002.jpg

Lookin snazzy :thumbup:

Has there been any discussion on what the interior will look like? Being the biggest VC done on the XR fleet, it might be able to have some really interesting features included. Some wide view windows to the cargo bay might be nice.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Lookin snazzy :thumbup:

Has there been any discussion on what the interior will look like? Being the biggest VC done on the XR fleet, it might be able to have some really interesting features included. Some wide view windows to the cargo bay might be nice.

And cup holders...

Coming along nicely Loru, she's becoming a real beaut. Will there be an airlock/door from cabin to payload bay?

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Definitely needs some overhead windows with a dorsal docking port.

Ark

Reaction score
Definitely needs some overhead windows with a dorsal docking port.

I agree. A rear station with overhead windows and a large window to the cargo bay would be great. With an MFD screen there, you could manage the whole docking maneuver from the most logical spot with the best view.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
docking system will resemble XR5 with "docking RCS mode". Windows are in plans and will be modelled soon.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

t-win.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Just thought of something: Will the infamous "Fuzzy Dice" make an appearance in the XR3? :)

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
...And cargo bay doors modelled:

XRcbay0002.jpg

Looking good loru! :thumbup:

I really like how payload bay and docking port are shaping up. Have you considered putting a small cupola in that blank space to the port side of the docking port? Seems like the perfect spot for a Docking / RMS operator's station.

ETA: The overhead windows in that case would be for the passenger's benefit.

also... if you'd like help modeling the interior drop me a line.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looking good loru! :thumbup:

I really like how payload bay and docking port are shaping up. Have you considered putting a small cupola in that blank space to the port side of the docking port? Seems like the perfect spot for a Docking / RMS operator's station.

ETA: The overhead windows in that case would be for the passenger's benefit.

also... if you'd like help modeling the interior drop me a line.

Thanks.

I've considered it but actually place is occupied. On one side we have precission aproach & docking radar and on the other we have EVA hatch. All that space is used for quite complex airlock as it would use single airlock with 3 separate ports (APAS, EVA hatch and ground hatch in front gear bay)

As for help with interior: I greatly apreciate the your offer however one of my goals in this project is to learn making more complex meshes that I've done up till now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've considered it but actually place is occupied. On one side we have precission aproach & docking radar
Have you thought about going the shuttle way? That is a edge mounted assembly along the side of the bay.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Although boolean operations are very quick for cutting RCS nozzles, I decided to make them manually. It's slightly more time consuming but does not produce smoothing errors and strange polys (1m long, 1mm wide)

nose_rcs.jpg

side-perspective.jpg

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, I'm seeing pitch down, -Z translation, and yaw thrusters. Where's the pitch up sets?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, I'm seeing pitch down, -Z translation, and yaw thrusters. Where's the pitch up sets?

Actually you can see: Pitch up and pitch down (translation up/down), and -Z translation. Those on the side are pitch up (difficult to see from this angle)

Nose Yaw + X translation will be modelled either today or tomorrow.

---------- Post added 02-17-13 at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-16-13 at 11:00 PM ----------

This evening :p

nose_RCS-set.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

And final for today:

pad.jpg

Ark

Reaction score
Oh hell yes this thing is shaping up. Good textures will really make that thing pop when the time comes.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Actually you can see: Pitch up and pitch down (translation up/down), and -Z translation. Those on the side are pitch up (difficult to see from this angle)

Nose Yaw + X translation will be modelled either today or tomorrow.

---------- Post added 02-17-13 at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-16-13 at 11:00 PM ----------

This evening :p

nose_RCS-set.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

And final for today:

pad.jpg

Ah, okay. I see what you did there... :p
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see a "Loru Limbo" shot of this at CSSC! :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
some minor progress:

fuselage/wing part is splitted into top/bottom sections for UVW mapping

btm-hull2.jpg

Ark

Reaction score
Sweet.

I'm assuming it will have the same custom skin system as the other XRs?

I'm kind of curious about the coding, how much more goes into it than just taking the XR2 code, inputing a new set of flight characteristics, and assigning the buttons to the XR3 model's animations?

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sweet.

I'm assuming it will have the same custom skin system as the other XRs?

Most likely yes. However I'm not sure I'll be providing paintkit. I can provide layered psd file instead.

today's update #2:
uvw-top.png

I'm kind of curious about the coding, how much more goes into it than just taking the XR2 code, inputing a new set of flight characteristics, and assigning the buttons to the XR3 model's animations?

You have to ask dbeachy1 about that. I'm not a coder :p

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Goofing around :p

flames.jpg