Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

teslax

Reaction score
No - they were triangles from start however some edges were turned invisible to appear as quads or n-gons. In #dsMax when you work in "edit mesh" mode you work on "polygons" (3,4 or more sides) but they're still triangles.

Take a look at picture below - it's quad poly however 3ds max already divided it to triangles since I'm working in "mesh edit" mode.

Actually, you can represent ANY surface by multiple triangles (and in extension, any volume by multiple tetrahedra).

Thats why even if you work with them as other geometry entities, it is easier to render and process them as triangles anyway.

I see the point, thanks for explaining it to me! I see another reason why you don't want to have too much tris.

Usually I'll just try my best to avoid tris and n-gons in model because there might be some problem with the mesh smoothing later on in the 3d program.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
...Usually I'll just try my best to avoid tris and n-gons in model because there might be some problem with the mesh smoothing later on in the 3d program.

Yet msh format native to orbiter uses only triangles (AFAIK that's also true for 99% of directX games) so you have to optimize it for triangles anyway. :p

teslax

Reaction score
Yet msh format native to orbiter uses only triangles (AFAIK that's also true for 99% of directX games) so you have to optimize it for triangles anyway. :p

Oh this reminds me, your polygon count figure counts the triangle then instead of the quad? So if my model would have 4 quads, then Orbiter will actually see it as having 8 triangles to draw?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Exactly. In gaming triangle is base unit since triangles are native for most GPUs/render engines.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And triangles are the base of planar geometry anyway. They are the simplest possible shapes, so it makes sense to use them as the basic "construction material".

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Working on texture / panels (Bump maps)

XR-panels.jpg

---------- Post added 11-02-13 at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-01-13 at 06:29 PM ----------

Got few mins to spare today so I textured leading edges and fiddled with bumpmaps a bit.

XR3-bump2.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Hmmm...
Doug, how hard would it be to code in elevon droop when the APU is offline and the XR3 is landed on a planet? Those big elevons would probably start to slide down without hydraulic pressure. I know that the Airbus A320 did that on the elevators after only a few minutes...

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It's not a matter of "hard", the issue is fielding the ensuing bug reports from users complaining "why aren't the elevons straight???" I may add it as a config setting with default=OFF, however.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Working on texture / panels (Bump maps)

XR-panels.jpg

---------- Post added 11-02-13 at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-01-13 at 06:29 PM ----------

Got few mins to spare today so I textured leading edges and fiddled with bumpmaps a bit.

XR3-bump2.jpg

Looking good.

May I ask, how do you balance the RCS system? Does it take constant testing or do you use a tool?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's hard to call it tool but [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever"]lever equation[/ame] are pretty handy.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Exterior fully modelled & UVW mapped . Materials determined and consulted with dbeachy1.

To do on my side:
- Textures
- Interior + VC
- Crew
- Animations and thruster placements

And 2 dev shots:
xr3-panelMWS.jpg

noseshot.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
overhead panel meshed:

overhead-instrument-panel2.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just realized I should have made VC before meshing nose section of the craft. There is no way I can't fit ovehead panel and provide visibility for crew at the same time.

Since I want it released anyway I'm splitting instruments from overhead panel to "side consoles"

Attachments

• station-left.jpg
    station-left.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 86
  • station-right.jpg
    station-right.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just realized I should have made VC before meshing nose section of the craft. There is no way I can't fit ovehead panel and provide visibility for crew at the same time.

Since I want it released anyway I'm splitting instruments from overhead panel to "side consoles"

Bit of an odd request, but why not move the hud to the visor of the pilot? Not sure how the rest of the VC would look through it, but it can always be switched off.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Because final crew won't be wearing helmets inflight. This is just mesh from my VTOL used as reference before I model my crew.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because final crew won't be wearing helmets inflight. This is just mesh from my VTOL used as reference before I model my crew.

Shouldn't they be wearing some sort of protective headgear? Not that you absolutely have to, but I would imagine it would be considered good practice during the ascent phase.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well - I'm matching XR series and in XR2 they're not wearing helmets when inside.