Problem XR5 and Basesync MFD

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was trying to land on wideawake international in the xr5 using base sync MFD. I burned orbit + and got my distence down to 3 meters. When i was at 120km doing re entry checks and setting up aerobrake MFD i noticed i was headig way of. I switched to the map MFD and i was going up way to far north. I had already dumped all my main fuel so i had to made some re enrty glides and i nearly burned up. I landed just short of the runway but on land. I checked base sync MFD when i noticed i was off target but it only said i was off by 1km. I have succesfuly landed at wideawake in the xr 2 but i dont understand why this happens in the xr5. Can any one help?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
The Earth rotates, so when you make your DEO burn you have to lead a bit more west of the target base (how much? I don't know exactly...), so by the time you get there, the base has moved "towards" you.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Yes, but BaseSyncMFD does take Earth's rotation into account, and so does the Map MFD in ground track mode. My best guess would be skipping an orbit instead of deorbiting when you're supposed to. Worir, do you perhaps know exactly by how much you were off?

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
do your DEO sooner. Looking at aerobrake mfd the green line on opposite side of planet/base. I actually go even more like 200 degrees more. Also watch your slip keeping it zero. Get everything close as you can. Around 100-150 you will encounter atmosphere drag you then fine tune your pitch and whatnot

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was 1000km north of wideawake and i deorbited at the oppersit side. I do the same with the xr2 and it works fine its just the xr5 im having trouble with

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
He didn't say he overshooted, he said he was too North.
It's bad crossrange.
When you put yourself in the orbit for the re-entry you should zoom the more you can in the map so you can see if you are perfectly aligned.
When you fly into the atmosphere, you have to bank correctly trying to not go too North/South. Aerobrake MFD helps you a lot with this in its map view, where there is a square with a zoomed portion of the map near the target base.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Add AerobrakeMFD, it made a world of difference for me.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have aerobrake MFD. I only have a problem with the XR5 and i did not overshoot i was just too far north