Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi all,

As it's been over a year since XRSound 2.0 beta-3, I released XRSound 2.0 today (thanks to Papabear73 for motivating me to finally release it :lol:). There have been no code changes to XRSound 2.0 since the beta-3 version.

As for release notes, the only change for 2.0 was adding support for playing sounds from Orbiter modules in addition to Orbiter vessels. If you are only using XRSound for vessel sounds (i.e., unless you are developing an Orbiter module, such as an MFD, to play custom sounds, or install an Orbiter module that uses that feature in XRSound 2.0), you don't need to install XRSound 2.0 -- you can just keep using version 1.1.

Note that XRSound 2.0 is fully backwards-compatible with 1.x versions, so new users who install XRSound 2.0 can still fly XRSound 1.x-enabled vessels. In fact, the XR vessel versions on my Web site have not been updated, nor do they need to be, in order to work with XRSound 2.0.

There is also an updated XRSound 2.0 User Manual that includes a section on how to play custom sounds from an Orbiter module, such as an MFD.

As with the XRSound 1.x versions, I sent the source code to Martin and Xyon, and now IronRain as well, as backups in case I am hit by a bus. :tiphat:

As always, you can get the latest version of XRSound on my Web site. Happy flying! :cheers:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
...nevertheless try to be careful, not to get hit by buses :thumbup:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can't login to my OHM account, in the meantime you can get the updated sound bridge from here: http://snoopie.at/face/release/SoundBridge2.0.zip

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

@Doug: sources are the same as with the beta links I've sent you, except for the removal of the log entries. Shouldn't be a big problem to get rid of them if the bus finds me eventually. :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks to Xyon, I was able to login again and updated the OHM entry with both the old 1.1 and the new 2.0 version.

Chuckosan

Reaction score
Minor issue with XR. Just did a clean install (PC crash) and XR is not playing the docking and undocking sounds. I've removed the 3 hashtags in front of the command. I did that for the RCS callouts and those work now. Any suggestions?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I had an issue but solved it. I now have an authentic chinese countdown from the Chang'e 5 mission for the Long March 5, definitively adds to the immersion ? Also I'll be able to get rid of the multiple sonic bangs caused by my "in-orbit-then-landed" rocket assembly method through docking ports.

Just be careful if you follow the code sample on the doc : you have to put 2 "\" when you load a sound with LoadWav. Else you get the infamous C4129 warning at that line ; it does not prevent the .dll from compiling but it actually ignores the "\" character. So XRSound will read your folder path skipping the "\", and of course it won't find the sound.

You should write :

C++:
m_pXRSound->LoadWav(LaunchCountdown, "XRSound\\Default\\System Reset.wav", XRSound::Radio);

The double antislashes "\\" are mandatory. Not an XRSound-specific issue at all - this is a very old thing that survived the venerable MS-DOS and got ported to the various Windows iterations for reverse compatibility issues.

And be careful, don't get hit by a PSB.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The double antislashes "\\" are mandatory. Not an XRSound-specific issue at all - this is a very old thing that survived the venerable MS-DOS and got ported to the various Windows iterations for reverse compatibility issues.
Well, the "\\" are a C thing that mean "\":
C-CPP-Escape-Sequences.png

(from https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/escape-sequences-c/)

Windows might want "\" instead of "/" in the paths (not sure ATM), but that is not related to the programing language.