Request your only living in space if you can use the resources it has to offer

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
because of the release of the GDI miner and Ore Mill, space exploration has taken a whole new look of... enviromentism (if thats the right word???) in my eyes anyway :) being able to use mined resources to use in various ways be it, space fuel, metal for hab modules, etc etc, but so far all this conversion has to be done by scenario editor... this is where my idea comes in...

the ore mill creates ore from the miner which mines up rock which is fed to the ore mill, if this ore could then be taken to a factory where it can be processed (thats the addon idea i have) into something else, then then we are truely living in space, heres how it could be done, the ore is dropped off in a designated drop off zone, and the factory has a control panel (like the miner or ore mill, enter it via ummu and control it from there) where a certain outcome product is chosen and dictated by how many ore containers you have, for example. 3 ore boxs equal a box of space fuel. then the ore boxes are 'eaten' (thats how it would say on the config file?) by the factory which then processes it, and 'spews' (lol) out a product at the end. a whole eco system running on another planet, think about the possibilitys.

simplified request... a factory that takes in ore cargoes produced by the GDI addons (thank you ashaman :)) and produces a cargo that is useable or needed by ummu to live on alien worlds etc (the add on itself if pretty specific so if you are thinking about making this, first off thank you and please read the long version. :) thank you for reading

(couldnt change the title, sorry, its late at night and my minds running at like 0.2% capacity)

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Was there an addon request in that huge sentence?

Also, "your" is the possessive. "You're" is the "you are" contraction. The line should read "You are only living in space", so "you're" is the correct word to use there.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
The coding wouldn't be that hard. All it needs to do is after consuming X number of whatever cargo you want then spawn something.

guitarist473

Reaction score
yeah but i wanted to be able to select what i want it to produce in game and refine by how manym oh and btw i have no experiance with coding what so ever so it would be a nightmare for me trying to make this add on

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm slowly working on something along that line. A base where you can use the resources you mine to manufacture ships or vehicles (UCGO), you can also hire and manage the crew (UMMU), make upgrades to the base, etc. No promises though... I work when I have the time.

Last edited:

Shinrar

Reaction score
I know this is an odd first post... but, I too have been thinking about something along these lines. I think it is the RPGer inside of me screaming to get out, ha! I very much like the idea (of both the original post, and Juamelm's base).

Though my ideas were more geared towards an individual ship rather then a base (things like: cost of fuel would be greater when 'fueling up' from a station, because of the cost to get the fuel there).

I think, with a little tweaking of the Miner and the Mill, things could be taken a substantial step further. What if you had a "mining outpost" in Mar's polar region, mining Ice, and transported by a UCGO on autopilot (can those things be scripted to automatically pick things up? Hhrrmm... [Edit: Just looked into it, yes... Yes they can!]), driving to a processing facility where it's broken down into Oxygen and then turned into LOX, which both supplies a base with O2 and allows you to supply ships with O2... Essentially, different regions (with a percent random chance) supply different Raw Materials, which can be refined into different substances, which can be used as raw material for different end products (Fuel and LOX, for a start).

I'm rather new to Orbiter (downloaded 2006 a few days before 2010 came out), so I haven't taken a gander at programming anything myself (and it may be some months before I feel comfortable tackling such a massive beast) - so I don't even know if this is all possible. I do know that to make some things work across modules would require some tweaking with configuration files. For example, the XR2 refueling would have to be nullified in the configuration files and you would have to rely on dragging canisters to the Bays, loading them (so the fuel/LOX gets sucked out), and unloading the empty ones. Which sounds tedious.

Just rambling some ideas... Probably not a good first post, but - I liked this idea too much not to comment on it...

Last edited:

guitarist473

Reaction score
good to no someones working on this, i will offer all the help i can if you want, but im not gud with programmin and everything, mabye you can take some of the ideas in my request and put them in the final addon. a base is probably better than an unpackable UCGO factory, not realy realistic if a small box inflates into a massive ore processing plant :)
and yeah that sounds like a awsome idea shinrar

Shinrar

Reaction score
a base is probably better than an unpackable UCGO factory, not realy realistic if a small box inflates into a massive ore processing plant :)

I like how the Mill takes care of that "questionable reality" factor, by requiring multiple boxes to deploy. I'm not sure how much labor went into making individual meshes for each "stage" of development (perhaps not much, if it's simply a factor of removing certain elements and "save-as"ing - but I don't mesh, so I don't know). It was a brilliant idea on the coder's part. :tiphat: