Question 2 questions related to "Ares Mission To Mars" Orbiter Video

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
hi everybody
after watchin this video on youtube
i got some questions (probably silly :lol:)
first - how we can get that fuel stack (at 1:23) to orbit?
second - does that engine on MEM (at 6:10) provide enough thrust to liftoff from mars surface and insert the orbit?

RichWall

Sage Brush
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hi everybody
after watchin this video on youtube YouTube - ‪Ares Mission to Mars: Voyage (remastered) - Orbiter Space Flight Simulator‬‏ i got some questions (probably silly :lol:)
first - how we can get that fuel stack (at 1:23) to orbit?
second - does that engine on MEM (at 6:10) provide enough thrust to liftoff from mars surface and insert the orbit?

It looks like to me, the 'In Orbit Fuel Stack' would need 4-5 launches to orbit then assembled there. A fifth or sixth launch would bring the crew, hab, lander, CSM stack to the fuel stack. Once all assembled the TMI burn would be initiated.

I don't know the answer to your second question but this graphic may help.

memprof.jpg

Here is the project download.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3393"]Baxter's Voyage beta[/ame]

Good stuff though:thumbup:

Last edited:

Krikkit

Reaction score
I don't know how he got the stack into orbit, probably just used scenario editor to poof it there.

But I would use a velcro saturn stack like this one

It is capable of putting a full tank and orbiter into orbit

The MEM in the video is just modified from a Orion crew capsule add on. I don't know what the Isp is, but that might help you find out.

Trainguy

Trumpeter
Reaction score
I agree - he probably did use the scenario editor.

I have read the book this comes from (I assume I'm not the only person) and the launch sequence goes something like this:

1 The main tank (MSII) is flown up empty on a saturn VB (the one seen in the video)
2-3 The external tanks are flown up empty and attatched on.
4-the MS-IV-B is flown up, maybe full, maybe empty and docked onto the fromt.
5-7(8?) Fuel tankers are flown up in smaller amounts, docked to the MS-II (in the book this only has four engines, the docking port taking the place of the fifth in the centre, and two more LEM descent stade derived ones for MCCs)
Finally the crew is flown up pretty much as shown.

Yes, the MEM does have enough fuel to launch back to low mars orbit, although I don't think it's orion derived as this flew in 1985-6 in an alternate timeline. It is based upon the same principles as the LEM though - launch the absolute minimum back into low mars orbit, with emphasis on low. Remember that Martrian gravity is only one third that of Earth's and only 100th of the atmoshphere, so the parking orbit may be lower than it appears.

I hope all this makes sense, and any ideas for improvements, suggestions for MEM performance, timetable etc are welcomed - the launch timetable is guesswork as the only one mentioned in the book is for test flights of the block V CSM, the MEM, the uprated saturn etc.

The addon may well be a modified orion, but I expect it has been editied taking into consideration what I already said.

Hope this helps!

Trainguy

p.s.:hailprobe:!

Wonderer

Reaction score
The stack is already in orbit in the scenarios that are given with the addons.As far as I know it is impossible to launch the tanks separately and then assemble them while inside orbiter.The MEM was actually researched in the 60's and I think it proved to be a valid design.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
thank you guys! thank you Trainguy!
yeah i know the scenario gives us MSII already on the orbit and already assembled but i wanted to know how we cat get that in the reality xDD
so fuel stack's assembled and fueled into the orbit as i thought
thank ya one more time for answers!
im very interesting with that mission xD

Trainguy

Trumpeter
Reaction score
The stack is already in orbit in the scenarios that are given with the addons.As far as I know it is impossible to launch the tanks separately and then assemble them while inside orbiter.The MEM was actually researched in the 60's and I think it proved to be a valid design.

Just one thought - the tanks do exist separately - when jettisoned from the main spacecraft. It would probably be possible to launch these, and attatch them together using a little scenario editor magic. Some may even be docked - it sounds like it in the vid.

To launch and assemble 'properly' is unfortunately not possible.

:hailprobe: