2014 World Cup

thor36

Reaction score
Jedidia, do you live in Bosnia ? The Swiss flag is a bit confusing, sorry. It's really unbelievable how far football fanaticism can go. I wish it was for everyone what it really is - a game. Something that brings joy and excitement, not invokes hatred and frustration. And by that I target all corners of the world, not only Balkans.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Jedidia, do you live in Bosnia ? The Swiss flag is a bit confusing, sorry. It's really unbelievable how far football fanaticism can go. I wish it was for everyone what it really is - a game. Something that brings joy and excitement, not invokes hatred and frustration. And by that I target all corners of the world, not only Balkans.

You have no idea about what role football in Germany plays... both good and bad. It can be the cause of the deepest baddest feud right to turning some city centers into "failed state" like regions. And can make groups, who usually have no chance to come together, celebrate peacefully together. Turks in Germany who fly both the Turkish and the German flag at their houses? If it wouldn't be because of football, some people would be offended.

Also, it is somehow some simpler way for womens emanticipation even from traditional cultures... The German womens football has a very high appreciation here, though not as much as the mens football has.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Reminds me of that joke that came up during the Croatia vs. Turkey penalty shootout in 2008: "I'll just stand in the hallway and guess who is winning by the sounds coming from each appartment.":lol:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Oh dear, Bosnia vs. Argentina coming up. If Bosnia should win due to some inconceivable circumstances, there's no way my kids will be able to sleep through the night... :shifty:

Even the most normal, frustrated, unpatriotic, unpracticing Muslims (chill, it's an ethnical term over here) are hanging the rather provocative combination of the bosnian flag, the turkish flag and the bosniac lilac from their balconies.
There's been burnings of bosnian flags after croatia lost to brazil. Just goes to show that the people here are really on edge, and the only way they know how to release frustration is political antagonism. Things could get hot here during this championship. In the unlikely event that both croatia and bosnia go into the next round and meet each other, there will be deaths. I'm not kidding.

Something called Dzeko and Ibisevic perhaps? :hmm:
(note my predictions calls for Argentina to win 3:2, with France to win 3:0 and Switzerland to win 1:0)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Jedidia, do you live in Bosnia ? The Swiss flag is a bit confusing, sorry.

Well, I'm a (born) swiss, living and working in Bosnia for the better part of a decade now. Yeah, it confuses the bosnians too... :lol:

It's really unbelievable how far football fanaticism can go.

It's not got much to do with football in this case. As I said, some nutjob bosnian craotians burned bosnian flags after losing to Brasil, and it's pretty difficult to blame the other bosnian ethinicities for that... It's just that every problem and every grudge, no matter the cause, gets shifted to the nationalistic plane. A man here can pretty much do whatever he wants, somebody will see "vital national interests" threatened. It's more of a bosnia problem, not a soccer problem.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Amazing end-to-end shots and Swiss goal late in stoppage time to win the game! :hail:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Nice result for Italy yesterday and utterly humiliates England who now need to win one of the next two matches. No pressure lads.....

At least England win comedy moment of the world cup by having their own physio stretchered off the pitch after he broke his ankle tripping over a water bottle....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27854657

MattBaker

Reaction score
Day 4: Still waiting for a draw. It came close this time but they failed again. We're hoping for France failing or Bosnia going strong but fear we'll have to hold out another night. Concerns about Portugal being strong enough to reach one are becoming higher. Tensions are rising. Need immediate support.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Lucky the swiss are really reliable, if you trust them... I have bet for a 2:1 for switzerland at work and nobody really believed that I was sane. :cheers: (4 Points for me for the second round... had already been first place for the first round in our betting game there)

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lucky the swiss are really reliable, if you trust them...

Indeed... and the two scorers have so traditional swiss names, too. :lol:

Oh, if only all of my countrymen could see the irony.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Indeed... and the two scorers have so traditional swiss names, too. :lol:

Oh, if only all of my countrymen could see the irony.

Mehmedi and Seferovic are no swiss names? :lol::thumbup:

thor36

Reaction score
If Hussein can be president of USA, I really don't see a problem here ;P

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Argentina won - but in the poorest way possible, and Messi, Aguero et al. doesn't look like in good shape at all and were scrappy in performance for most of the match. Their group is easy enough but once in the knockout stages..... :shifty:

Bosnia, on the other hand, definitely has a good debut match and should be able to advance to the last 16. :thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Germany vs Portugal coming up soon! With both teams having weaknesses in front and back against each other, I think this may end up with a draw....2:2 maybe. :hmm:

Also USA playing against Ghana. I have high hopes for the American side and I think they have some chances of improving from the round-of-16 match last time and beat the nearly-semi-finalist 2:1, which would be crucial for them to have some chance of advancing. ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Red card against Pepe... and that for a reason. Not that he was really too violent when he had his hand in the face of Müller, thats wasn't that bad... but headbutting was sure a really bad choice.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR :rofl:

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!

Third one for Müller!

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Epic fail: Free kick for C Ronaldo. Germany selects to only use a one-man wall. Choose smallest player in the team.

Ronaldo hits the one-Lahm-wall.

MattBaker

Reaction score
THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

Thor has vacation until Thorsday. Stop waking him up, he is sleeping.

The discussions about penalties continue. If you gave the German one you should have given the one for Portugal in the second half as well...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The discussions about penalties continue. If you gave the German one you should have given the one for Portugal in the second half as well...

Not that sure, if it was equally strong there, since both failed to hit the ball while trying to reach it. The German chance for penalty was much clearer, the German player was strongly held by the portuguese player, with a good referee, this would be a foul even without the German player falling, if he is just held enough to void any German advantage to let the German play continue.

Last edited:

Mortov Molotov

Reaction score
Belgium - Algeria tomorrow. Opener always important. Ref known for drawing cards quickly. My guess is my country will win with a 3-1 score.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus