2014 World Cup

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Unless they manage to get at least a draw against Portugal they won't get anywhere.

Pretty much the same thing could be said of any team at this point. I can't stand when people crown champions before they've even set foot on the pitch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't disagree, we just aren't too known for our soccer.

Oh how pessimistic. Are you sure you aren't German?

Feel lucky that the USA finally have a good national team in a really competitive sport. I know you still regret allowing the Koreans and Japanese to the World Baseball Classic in Baseball. (And don't get me started on allowing only US teams to the world series)

The USA could get into the knockout stage, and that without luck or any other external factor. All by itself. And that even without any kind of proper youth organisation or football academy system like we have in Europe - the US equivalent is "Suburban kids playing a nice sport without any risk of injury"... not really comparable to what happens in Germany or Spain. Most talents are taking the much better offers by the commercial NBA or NFL... (which I think are overrated like C. Ronaldo - outside the USA, the players are showing extremely strong deficits, which simply doesn't matter if you only play against other US players with US tactics)

And yes, Klinsmann has said that he does not expect the US team to get anywhere - in response of US sports journalists swing from deep dark depression and extremely low expectations to "the USA will win the world cup, we know it." after the qualifiers.

Klinsmann does not plan for this world championship, he rather plans to have a better team ready in 2018, that's his real mission there, he is also pretty unique currently among all football coaches for doing a lot of the talent scouting himself in person.

And on CR7: The hardest and most damaging criticism came in form of a tweet by Mario Basler, former German national player... translated it is about like that: "Ronaldo ran less than I did! I! Unbelievable" (Basler wasn't really known for his endurance... he had ... other qualities)

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

In other news: A man was killed on his balcony by a headshot in Lebanon, when his neighbour below celebrated the German victory over Portugal by discharging his rifle into the air.

And of course the inevitable:

http://www.google.com/doodles/world-cup-2014-14?hl=de

:rofl: :rofl: too cute

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Pretty much the same thing could be said of any team at this point.

Yes it could. Then again the likelihood of Brazil winning against Mexico, the Netherlands winning against Australia or Germany winning against Ghana is much more likely than the US getting anything against Portugal.

In one case it's a shock if it doesn't happen, in the other it's a surprise if it does.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Belgium - Algeria tomorrow. Opener always important. Ref known for drawing cards quickly. My guess is my country will win with a 3-1 score.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

My guess is exactly the same. Let's see how far do the very highly acclaimed Belgium team goes....

In other news, I tip Russia to win over the Koreans (which was crushed by Ghana 4:0 in their last warm-up match) and Brazil to advance with a 3:1 win over a poorly shaped Mexican side. :tiphat:

thor36

Reaction score
I expected a better performance by Belgium ( through the whole match ). But I guess it is alright, it was the first match of the tournament and first big international match for many of the boys.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
In one case it's a shock if it doesn't happen, in the other it's a surprise if it does.

I'm not sure if it's that clear cut. The US has always had matchup problems with Ghana, but still managed to pull out three points. Overall, we seem to match up better with Portugal's style of play, and with their extremely lackluster display against Germany, it doesn't seem unrealistic to at least get a draw out of it.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Such a fascinating 0:0 match between Brazil and Mexico....

Croatia might be in trouble seeing the Mexico GK plays so stunningly good! :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Such a fascinating 0:0 match between Brazil and Mexico....

Croatia might be in trouble seeing the Mexico GK plays so stunningly good! :hmm:

The goalkeeper is really the man of the match... nobody had more impact than he really had.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, Brazil failed to put Mexico away. There's shock number one.:lol:

Well, Mexico has always been Brazils Kryptonite :lol:

thor36

Reaction score
Well, Mexico has always been Brazils Kryptonite :lol:

Lol, I was wondering what would happen when Brazil hits a motivated opponent and a good referee. As for the bad referees you can't blame them. Looking at their belt you can see they are from Jedi order. So they can't know too much about footy and the Force at the same time.:thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Igor Akinfeev now will be forever remembered for that goal-saving blooper..... :uhh:

(to be fair the Korean goalkeeper wasn't much better for that Russian goal :shifty:)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For the non-Aussies: "Buckley's" means no chance at all.

Our current expectation here in Germany is, that Robben is taken off the pitch after 20 minutes so Australia does not loose worse than 6:0.

thor36

Reaction score
Nice match going on between Australia and Netherlands ! For some reason I didn't expect much of it... but it's turning out to be a really good one :)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

MattBaker

Reaction score
Would be best for the Dutch if Spain wins, right?
Or a draw?

Unless Chile wins by four goals (or three goals from 5-2 onwards) a draw will always be enough for the Netherlands to become first of Group B. And a draw against Chile is well within their abilities. If I'd be Dutch I'd be happy to have contributed to a group stage death of the reigning World Champion as a revenge for 2010.

Which would be the second time in a row the last World Champion failed in the group stage and the third time in the last four World Cups.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would be best for the Dutch if Spain wins, right?
Or a draw?

A draw would be OK for Spain, they would still become second then by winning against Australia, if chile does not win against Netherlands.

If Spain wins, they would have 3 points, as much as Chile. The next game would decide it again, they would need more points than Chile in the end.

If Spain looses, Spain would be out of the tournament the next game would not matter anymore, Chile has then two victories and six points, like Netherlands.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Looks like we can say Adios to Spain...