2014 World Cup

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
GOAL!!!
Frankly, Portugal didn't deserve that tie.
We didn't deserve the win against Ghana, either. Football is fickle man, but we're in a really good place right now.

Truly the most devastating draw I've witnessed.
I don't know about that. The draw didn't take us out of the cup and we still control our own destiny.

It was great to see the team I grew up supporting (before the US had a soccer team worth mentioning) looking sharp against Chile today. Hopefully het Oranje can keep a good looking Mexican side in-check and get through to the quarterfinals.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
We didn't deserve the win against Ghana, either. Football is fickle man, but we're in a really good place right now.

Maybe it's just sports karma, eh?

I don't know about that. The draw didn't take us out of the cup and we still control our own destiny.

The result is fine, but it just sucks to have one stupid mistake take away what might've been the biggest US soccer victory in decades.

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Great article to put things in perspective.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/men-in-blazers/95/post/1904962/us-very-much-alive-in-the-world-cup

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The result is fine, but it just sucks to have one stupid mistake take away what might've been the biggest US soccer victory in decades.
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/men-in-blazers/95/post/1904962/us-very-much-alive-in-the-world-cup
Sports karma. Getting into the knockout rounds two World Cups in a row against good opposition would be a HUGE step for the USMNT, especially considering that most of our players are still playing for a domestic league that is a long-ways off from being competitive with most of the European leagues.

Hell, the only reason Portugal could get points out of the game is that one of the best players in the world finally got space in the dying seconds of the game and put in one of the most perfect balls into the box.

And if we get through, every game will be bigger than the one before it. Think about a chance to play Belgium with a chance to go into the quarterfinals.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
90 minutes between life and death between Italy and Uruguay is about to start..... :hmm:

I think Uruguay will win - but only just. ;)

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
Suarez is not a football player and probably he isn't a sportsman. By the way, Italy deserved to lose. Medium level player, bad phisical condition and a middle-championship gaming... I hope for Russia 2018 an improvement.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
90 minutes between life and death between Italy and Uruguay is about to start..... :hmm:

I think Uruguay will win - but only just. ;)

Errrr I did not call for the referee to push Uruguay through! That red card was puzzling and of course why oh why Suraez wasn't sent off!? This is the third time he bites someone on the pitch - did he got rabies for years? :facepalm: Time to ban him for more than 10 matches (that he got he bite someone last time against Chelsea)! :dry:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Dear World,

please succeed in your :censored:ty group stage. We want to play against England, Italy and Spain in the knockout stage and not Russia, Costa Rica or Chile.

Regards,
Me

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
Probably he must be banned for a year or more from every football championship.I wonder why FIFA didn't make a strictly ethical rule.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Probably he must be banned for a year or more from every football championship.I wonder why FIFA didn't make a strictly ethical rule.

They are more concerned if he did brush his teeth.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Come on Japan! Greece is leading to your favor - one more goal and you are going through! :hail:

thor36

Reaction score
Time to film another Jaw film with Suarez as the main antagonist :facepalm:

It was quite a strange match. Italy really didn't play well, but given the red card and hungry Suarez I would prefer to see them through instead.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Aaaand Greece goes to the next phase. Never doubted for a second. :p

MattBaker

Reaction score
Aaaand Greece goes to the next phase. Never doubted for a second. :p

Greece against Costa Rica, one of them gets into the Quarter Finals. I feel like in a decade we'll look back at this and go like: "How the hell did that happen?"

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Really!? That last minute penalty isn't even really surely a correct decision!

I probably needed sarcasm tags.
The only good thing of that match was that after the tie goal we were forced to play a non-destructive style for a change.
3 shots at the goalpost and a nice rythm on the second half. And I agree, it wasn't a penalty.

I feel like in a decade we'll look back at this and go like: "How the hell did that happen?"
Same thing happened a decade ago at the Euro. But I really don't see anything more for this team. The underdog role suits them; no one expects anything from them.

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Until now, five South American teams qualified (and Ecuador can be the sixth). At least one (Brazil, Chile, Colombia or Uruguay) will be in the top four. Two from Concacaf (Mexico and Costa Rica...and waiting for USA). I bet for five European (Netherlands, Greece, Germany, France and Belgium), the other two being Algeria and Nigeria.

I think one of the quarter finals will be Netherlands vs. Costa Rica (despite my support for Mexico). The 4th July quarterfinal in Fortaleza (with two of the aforementioned SA teams) is unpredictable.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Really!? That last minute penalty isn't even really surely a correct decision! :blink:

Well, it was a correct decision, since the Greek player was really hit... but yes, I see what you mean.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Goal line technology helped in Suarez case as well, check it out

Is it part of the joke that he has the teeth of a child?

---------- Post added 06-26-14 at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-25-14 at 06:30 PM ----------

If Germany and the US tie both advance to the knockout stage. How Germany solved such a situation before: Gijon, 1982 vs Austria