2014 World Cup

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The coaches also have a personal history with one another.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The coaches also have a personal history with one another.

They also have a common philosophy. They would rather have an exciting 4:4 tie than a boring 0:0.

In the meantime, the US users here can prepare themselves for watching the match:

BrAmejCCcAAXf4q.png

https://twitter.com/J_Klinsmann/status/481940134921641984

The game against Portugal was watched by 25 million people in the USA, maybe the game against Germany can beat this now. ;)

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
The game against Portugal was watched by 25 million people in the USA, maybe the game against Germany can beat this now. ;)

Which is actually a similar number to how many Germans (population 80 millions) watch World Cup games. Just as a reminder that there is interest and a market for soccer in the US.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm afraid the US will get their asses handed to them on a silver plate :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm afraid the US will get their asses handed to them on a silver plate :)

I am pretty sure, Neuer will take a smoking break, should the result get too pro-Germany to let the USA pass into the round of 16. :lol:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Half time arrived with no goals, good pacing on the US side

....and Portugal leading by 1 goal thanks to an own goal from the Ghana side - which is good as long as Portugal don't continue to score by a lot, as even USA now lost 1 goal or even 2 they are still going through. :cheers:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
....and Portugal leading by 1 goal thanks to an own goal from the Ghana side - which is good as long as Portugal don't continue to score by a lot, as even USA now lost 1 goal or even 2 they are still going through. :cheers:
And the 2nd half have begun, the Germans have put klose into the field. Let's see what interesting game both sides have for us now.

P.S how in the seven hells did you guys find Gonzales lol.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Muller scored the first goal of the match

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
USA and Germany are in the knock-out stage, Portugal and Ghana are out :)

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
My Summary of Germany v. USA. The Americans put a very good show in the first half using a very synchronized pacing and managed to be somewhat threatening, albeit with poor finishing. Their defense was not something to be made fun of as well, good coordination coupled with good central defender and goalkeeper means the Germans had quite the hard time to put one through.

But after the bout that resulted in Müller's goal in the 2nd match, the U.S. team was put into disarray, Neuer suddenly found no work to do on the field. The football match was then ugly turned into a massive cross-field taekwondo bout, and to be later have UFC components added to it, luckily there were no rains of cards, and it was still tame compared to the battlefield that was 2006. The Americans regained their pacing in the end of the game but the lack of a good finisher means the score remained 1-0 until the long whistle is blown.

Overall this was a very good and entertaining game, especially the first one I watch due to exam weeks, I congratulate both teams for making it to the knockout stage, with honorable mention to Portugal for its contribution in pushing the U.S. through. Obama better make up a very good deal to Portugal for that matter ;)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
We're advancing! Congratulations to all group winners/runners-up.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know I'm kinda late, but...
Switzerland in the knockouts. Actual thing now. Watch out for the second coming, I don't trust the rules of causality anymore.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Russia and Capello out. Uh huh....... :eek:h:

I got only 10 out of the last 16 teams correct - 1 down from South Africa 2010. Damn! :facepalm:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
The round of 16 by region:

Conmebol: 5 (of 6)
UEFA: 6 (of 13)
Concacaf: 3 (of 4)!
CAF: 2 (of 5)

Only Asia isn't present. My guess for quarterfinals is 3 Conmebol, 3 UEFA and 2 Concacaf.

Argentina and Nigeria played here yesterday. We saw a (peaceful) INVASION of around 100000 argentines due to our proximity with both countries borders. It was very nice, despite their insistence in a bizarre song saying we're still crying for 1990 (??!).

Also, the Round of 16 by FIFA rankings:

2. Germany
3. Brazil
5. Argentina
6. Switzerland
7. Uruguay
8. Colombia
11. Belgium
12. Greece
13. USA
14. Chile
15. Netherlands
17. France
20. Mexico
22. Algeria
28. Costa Rica
44. Nigeria

MattBaker

Reaction score
despite their insistence in a bizarre song saying we're still crying for 1990 (??!).

Well, that's the last time Argentina played against Brazil at a World Cup and won, 1-0 in the Round of 16. Probably the South American equivalent to "Two World Wars and One World Cup", since England never got further than Germany in a World Cup since the 1966 final...

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The US is through, the Dutch are through, Spain is home, England is home, and Suarez has bitten again. So far, this is a perfect World Cup.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Well, that's the last time Argentina played against Brazil at a World Cup and won, 1-0 in the Round of 16. Probably the South American equivalent to "Two World Wars and One World Cup", since England never got further than Germany in a World Cup since the 1966 final...

This is a bit different...This, IMO, comes from the fact that Argentina doesn't win any tournament since 1993. They want to make fun on Brazil, but, as is shown here, here, here, here, here and here, this is totally unfounded. Today, the 1990 match is a footnote in brazilian football history.