Question 2016 and UCGO

Reynoc

Reaction score
I'm an 2010 user and have been away for a few years (surgery yuk). But I'm back and have a new computer. I've installed Orbiter 2016 and Sound with no problems. However when I try to put my favorite Addons UCGO and UMMU I'm getting the warning message below (via NG). Seems other people are using these mods without difficulty so I must be doing something wrong. Is there a quick answer? Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> WARNING: Obsolete API function used: VESSEL::GetHorizonAirspeedVector
At least on active module is accessing an obsolete interface function.
Addons which rely on obsolete functions may not be compatible with
Future versions of Orbiter.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Dan Steph, the creator of UCGO and UMMU has not yet updated his UCGO and UMMU add-on for Orbiter 2016. You need to wait for him to publish the 2016 version of UCGO and UMMU if you want to use them in Orbiter 2016.

>>> WARNING: Obsolete API function used: VESSEL::GetHorizonAirspeedVector
At least on active module is accessing an obsolete interface function.
Addons which rely on obsolete functions may not be compatible with
Future versions of Orbiter.

Most probably your orbiter log file would display these few lines

Code:
000000.000: Module UCGOArrow.dll ......... [Build 131128, API 100830]
000000.000: Module Ummu.dll .............. [Build 140111, API 100830]
000000.000: Module UCGODynamicCargo.dll .. [Build 131128, API 100830]
And the API 100830 already tell you the add-ons (UCGO and UMMU) are built for Orbiter 2010.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well Some of UCGO works.

But you can deploy carts but since Ummu isn't working. You can't open them.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm very concerned about Dan's health and well-being. He hsn't been heard from in many months. :(

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm very concerned about Dan's health and well-being. He hsn't been heard from in many months.

Huh, I didn't know that. Well, somebody is keeping his forum running, so he's probably ok.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Im sure he's OK. probably they are moving or something.

In the forum, you write "He is around", but obviously you are not sure as well... can you please be a bit less aggressive, especially on impersonal provocations. It sure ain't my beef there, but from what I can tell with my limited EU-french, his current state of affairs is also unknown in the francophone world, but obviously, somebody pays the bills for the server.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the forum, you write "He is around", but obviously you are not sure as well... can you please be a bit less aggressive, especially on impersonal provocations. It sure ain't my beef there, but from what I can tell with my limited EU-french, his current state of affairs is also unknown in the francophone world, but obviously, somebody pays the bills for the server.
The reason why I said that is because I dont want anyone to panic.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is it possible that he already paid for a year or more in advance rather than month by month?

Usually such kind of hosting is paid month by month, Daniel did afford quite some server there.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

The reason why I said that is because I dont want anyone to panic.

Well, the issue is: If you say it in good intent but wrong, you damage your and DanStephs credibility at once - as well as all others who say the same.

Its better to stay calm and state the obvious: He was active just a few days ago, posted only a few months ago. I am sure he would answer emails, if they are not about "When will you do what I want for free, you lazy scumbag?"

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I am sure he would answer emails, if they are not about "When will you do what I want for free, you lazy scumbag?"

Here is the issue. I'm genuinely very concerned about his absence, but tied to that is his known value to the community. Many forum members post a few times and are never heard from again and don't draw any concern. (This is still the internet after all, and things can be impersonal, few of us ever meeting face to face.) Dan Steph is especially missed because he is Dan Steph. An inquiry into his status might seem disingenuous, even if the concern were real.

Actually, even if it were the case that Dan was never going to develop for Orbiter ever again (or didn't know if he would), this information would be useful to the community in and of itself. I hope very much that he is well, and if he is, I would hope that he would take a few seconds to let us know that he is well and perhaps let us know what his intentions are.

Proximus

Reaction score
The last time I saw him post on this forum I believe he was getting stick for not releasing source code. I can't remember the exact add on in question however?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The last time I saw him post on this forum I believe he was getting stick for not releasing source code. I can't remember the exact add on in question however?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say UMMU. So many orbiter add-ons depend on it that it can be a bit worrying that the source code is closed, I understand that. But still, the proper way of action if somebody can't live with that is to make an opensource alternative, not pestering the author about disclosing his code.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If I had to take a guess, I'd say UMMU. So many orbiter add-ons depend on it that it can be a bit worrying that the source code is closed, I understand that. But still, the proper way of action if somebody can't live with that is to make an opensource alternative, not pestering the author about disclosing his code.

Exactly. But making something open-source is not easier than making it closed source.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I don't think that would solve much.

What would you change to make it 2016 compatible?
If it was that trivial, then the author would do it in a few hours.

Do you think I didn't try to update my addons?
I did, but 2016 is just too complicated. So my time is better spent doing other stuff.

My guess is that Dan is just enjoying some other hobby and perhaps developing for something else. That's the way of life.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Of course, this also reflects on the appreciation you have on your own work. No issue, interests change and real life is surprising.

But I wouldn't blame Orbiter 2016 for that, the actual differences are not too large.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My guess is that Dan is just enjoying some other hobby and perhaps developing for something else. That's the way of life.
He has at least another paid software that I know about, FSPassengers. He could be busy with that. Checking his profile on his FSPassengers' forum, it shows that the last time he was logged in was on Feb. 21 this year.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But still, the proper way of action if somebody can't live with that is to make an opensource alternative, not pestering the author about disclosing his code.

In the case of framework or platforms like OS, UCGO, UMmu and e.g. SC4, it is not so easy to just roll out an open-source alternative. Chances are that all your work will be rendered useless, because people will set back to the original as soon as the option is there again.

Folks don't care about closed source as long as the system is available. Once it is gone for good, they sure start whining, but only then. Nobody will ever think one bit further and recognize that the dependency on the proprietary stuff was his/her own fault.

But I mentioned it already: perhaps starting open-source alternatives to Dan's work will eventually trigger him to release new versions :lol: .