4 Decades of Metal

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The NY Daily Times has been running a series of articles on heavy metal, since it's been 40 years since Black Sabbath's first album was releases, officially starting the genre.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...bbath_album_the_music_stil.html#ixzz0qTCsVYhe

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ck_at_the_bands_rise_to_heavy_metal_glor.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...al_1980_album_british_steel_fighting_met.html

One of the articles is a slide show of the top 11 metal bands (because in metal, knobs go to 11, you know). The 12th slide is an honorable mention for great bands that almost made the list, but didn't quite fit in, bands like Tool, Rush, etc. At the end they mention some famous acts that couldn't possibly make the list beacuse they were just cheesy hair metal:

Finally, we trimmed hair metal bands such as Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and Poison from consideration because, to quote Henry Rollins, they all "should mow my lawn and pay me a dollar an hour because they suck and should be destroyed."

Gotta love Rollins! :rofl::rofl:
music049.gif

music341.gif

music271.gif

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
Actually a very, very decent top 11. Nothing against Led Zeppelin, but in a list of metal bands, I don't really know if they fit. I'd have given Priest the #3 and leave it at that.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I agree, Led Zep is one the greatest rock and roll bands ever, but they really aren't metal. They always denied being metal when asked. Most metalheads love Zeppelin, because they are a great blues-influenced hard rock act with the same roots as metal, but they followed a different path than Sabbath did.

Thing is, back in the 70s the word "heavy metal" was thrown around a lot to describe any hard rock act. Sammy Hagar did a great song called Heavy Metal that, by today's post-thrash standards, would barely qualify as a metal tune. And it was on the soundtrack of the cartoon movie Heavy Metal, which had almost no metal on it!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, for the Immigrant Song alone, they deserve being called a Heavy Metal Band, Kashmir also fits into the label... but the rest is really more folk than rock. Also Lemmy would also claim that he just does Rock&Roll. ;)

Also, a top 11 that doesn't mention Lordi is just not complete... hey, they managed to become European Champions...The list somehow feels like it ended in the early 1990s except Tool - which are not heavy, and I wouldn't even call it progressive metal. Where are Bands like Gamma Ray and Scorpions, which are maybe unknown to pop music writers in the USA, but influenced the whole Heavy metal music much more than Led Zeppelin did. Also having no Manowar in the list is also feeling wrong...

And Sepultura might now no longer interest many people, without Max, but when I was young, they had been one of the few heavy metal bands that managed to get significant MTV airplay - much more than Panthera. For the time after Max left, refer to Soulfly...

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I suppose I have to admit to being a Deep Purple fan, and the fact I went to a few YES concerts has completly destroysed any credibility?

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, if you want to get to traditional metal, you can't get past HammerFall as real Gourmet. :)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well! I'l take that as a not!;)

Just had a listen, and to be honest, they were't that heavy? I think they had a chorus and a melody? Too much Bach influence?

Too many questions, how about my favourite

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well! I'l take that as a not!

Just had a listen, and to be honest, they were't that heavy? I think they had a chorus and a melody? Too much Bach influence.

Sure as hell not :lol:

Hey, even "Fast as Shark" (from the infamous "Balls to the Wall" album) has a chorus. Just like Painkiller.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, had to bottle out at<5mins, not so much AC/DC as 3Phase 440. The singer is a bit contralto for my taste, but the guitarists know ther arpegios(Bach again?). Do they know you can make colour videos?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sorry, had to bottle out at<5mins, not so much AC/DC as 3Phase 440. The singer is a bit contralto for my taste, but the guitarists know ther arpegios(Bach again?). Do they know you can make colour videos?

Color? Other than blood red?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I'm never sure where old blues/rock/roll/ and heavy metal starts. I think I grew up with heavy metal, but I'm deaf now so...

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth AND Anthrax, next Thursday here in Greece!
I've pretty much followed the last 20 years of Metal... looking forward to a few more decades!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Odd thing is, I'd gone off guitar heavy stuff, then I heard this, and it sounded good

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Odd thing is, I'd gone off guitar heavy stuff, then I heard this, and it sounded good

I can only say: Luckily I am older than Kurt Cobain.

Not my music, not metal...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm much older than you and KC, must be nostalgia.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm much older than you and KC, must be nostalgia.

N.

THAT! is nostalgia...

Those had been days... a city fest in the middle of nowhere and a young heavy metal band that excuses first for messing with this song, and then rocking the street...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure... a lot of smoke, and they are only a few chords away from Status Quo. Also the audience knows the words, always dodgy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not sure... a lot of smoke, and they are only a few chords away from Status Quo. Also the audience knows the words, always dodgy.

LOL. How about that then, that is with the audience surely not knowing the words.

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth AND Anthrax, next Thursday here in Greece!

I actually just won tickets the other day on the radio to see their Bulgaria show in theaters tomorrow. Not quite the same, but I've seen them all live (save Anthrax) anyway, and the tickets were free. Besides, there's no way they're not coming to the states.