Summary of Science and Math Carnival-My Orbiter Presentation

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hello,

The long-waited Science and Math Carnival was held successfully in my school today. We got everything set up, my teammate already had the presentation slides printed and pasted on a mahjong paper. We used a marker to write the big words-ORBITER as the title, with red ink.

The carnival started by 7.20 a.m. this morning (Malaysian Time GMT+8, 28/6/16, European date format) We only have a few minutes to get things set up. I brought my own notebook (the one I am using now) with Orbiter Flight Simulator installed with chunks of add-ons. Our initial planned mission was basically a simple flights into space with rockets, be it Soyuz or Falcon 9. But then, to test the graphic properties, I ran a fully-autopilot Luna 9 mission (First in Space add-on) The d3d9 graphic engine worked well. Then, people started to fill the lab (all science and maths project were conducted in the school's lab, we lacked empty classes) So, I continued with the Luna 9 Molniya Rocket flight.

Basically, I told students (15-17 years old standard, educational standard a bit lower than elsewhere) about how rockets fly, what sorts of payloads do they carry, and some history too (since Luna-9 was conducted during the Cold War era). Since I started late (the Molniya rocket already flew to some 13-15 km altitude), they missed the launch and pre-launch sequence. Thanks to autopilot system, everything went around smoothly. Subsequent launches, involve Falcon 9 v 1.2 test scenarios, like 13k SAT to LEO to show that rockets are reuseable and 22k SAT scenario to show older rockets launch which does not involve flyback of core/first stage.

I also launched a PSLV from Sriharikota on a student's request. This is a chance where I can show them how solid-fuel rockets work and made a few comparisons between liquid-fuel and solid-fuel rockets. Obviously, you can imagine how tedious I am repeating the sentence "solid fuel-engines cannot be turned off once burned while liquid-fuel engines can be turned on and off depending on mission requirements" The PSLV mission brought the satellite to SSO (sun-synchronous orbit) and was the only SSO mission.

My teammates (only 3 of them, 2 sick and 1 healthy but cannot even reach orbit by flying manually unless by using LaunchMFD autopilot) the 2 sick teammates basically sleep for throughout the whole presentation while the other healthy team member launched Luna 9 many times, and a few Luna 1 missions since autopilot was available. He also launched R-7A ICBM for many times (also because of autopilot system). Anyway, students got a chance to tour Baikonur Cosmodrome and Cape Canaveral and Sriharikota. I scrubbed the plan to launch Soyuz mission, anyway.

In the end, after a short lunch break, I managed to launch a ThaiCom-8 mission, my first and only successful GEO mission. Special thanks to brianJ for his kind sharing of using IMFD Delta Velocity Program to achieve GEO from initial supersynchronous transfer orbit. Thanks Mr. Jones.

Here are a few screenshots.
The first shows ThaiCom-8 (in retrograde position, just after final circularisation burn) with Earth behind.

Screenshot showing Surface MFD data and Map MFD. Notice that ThaiCom-8 is located at some 78.51 degree East, a deviation of some 0.01 degree East from planned longitude.

Screenshot showing Surface MFD data and Orbit MFD data. Notice that my altitude is still above the geostationary height of 35786 km. This is because IMFD Delta Velocity Prgram and Map program can only display 35.79 km but not until 3 decimal places. This is more of an accuracy problem.

This thread is dedicated to those who helped me a lot for preparing my presentation and were demonstrated just now.
They are :

enjo,LaunchMFD, BurnTimeCalc, HUD Drawer SDK and ModuleMessagingExt
brianJ, Falcon 9R v1.2, Falcon Heavy, ThaiCom 8 and usage of IMFD for dV planning
boogabooga, playback of Mars aerobraking and a great companion
pipcard, telling me software used for making add-ons
thorton, ISS v3.2
igel, First in Space v1.0, Soyuz v1.0, Spaceports v1.1
sergeev, Baikonur 2010: Surface tiles v1.0
4th rock, Sriharikota base and updated PSLV and GSLV textures
prakshepak, PSLV

There are also a lot of other members and add-on developers unmentioned because I downloaded over 50-60 add-ons when preparing my presentation and I lost all the files. Sorry.

Also, thanks to all other members who provide me moral support throughout the preparation of the carnival. Thanks to Urwumpe, particularly, for telling me not to be too serious when talking, (and unfortunately I couldn't find any reason to smile throughout the presentation when I only launched 4 rockets at most, and that excluded the famous Atlas V and Soyuz).

Thanks!

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like it went well. Have you started planning for next year?

N.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Sounds like you impressed everyone with your knowledge!

I hope you earned a high grade.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Sounds like it went well. Have you started planning for next year?

N.

Dear Notebook,

Unfortunately, no. This is my last year at high school. After this year end government/public exam, I will proceed to collage(not university as in America) to study IB or A-level, or study Form 6 (Malaysian STPM exam) in the same school I am studying now. Even by then, I would no longer stand a chance to participate in high school carnival. For one thing, the A-level and Form 6 exam syllabus only lasts for 1 to 2 years at most. So, I will be very busy studying until I don't even have time to prepare for carnival. Also, I am not aware of any Form 6 students participating in the carnival yesterday (Malaysia time GMT +8 hours). But based on what I observed, no Form 6 students were involved in the carnival.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Sounds like you impressed everyone with your knowledge!

I hope you earned a high grade.

I impressed people with my knowledge? No, not really. Not many students show interest and passion to pursue a career in aerospace and rocketry. So, I had a pretty hard time dealing with TONNES of questions and I was tedious of repeating the same point over and over again. After visiting the carnival, they basically talked about fashions, smartphones, what their buddies shared on Facebook the day before yesterday (again, Malaysia time) and all sorts of teenagers' chores. No one really bother about spaceflight then. Only one classmate asked me when I returned to class for a short break, "Eh, why not you keep on flying your rockets?" I replied, "My teammate, Hong Gao, is flying them." Then, today, on the way back home by school bus, a student younger than me but we both know each other told me he was impressed by my talk but he could only understand as the rocket burned, the green eclipse on Orbit MFD will become larger until it becomes something like a circle and then you are in orbit. Apart from that, he knew nothing!

Do you think I already impressed him, boogabooga?

Regarding earning high grades, I am not good at English. So, I don't understand what do you mean by earning high grades. I suspect you mean if I passed my exam with flying colours (colors for American English) ?

For your information, I got No.1 in my recent exam, albeit flying rockets with Orbiter while preparing my exam. This marked my 4th consecutive No.1 position in the whole form (of all 8 classes of my year or 287 students) for the past four exams, i.e. last year's mid-year exam, last year's final exam, this year's first term exam, and finally the recent this year's mid-year exam. It is a big achievement. All my hard work paid off! And there are more to go. I still have another trial exam before my final government/public exam. Then it is the end of this year.

Thanks boogabooga!

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Opps, I have forgotten Jarmo Nikkanen.

His IMFD add-on was a cornerstone in my presentation yesterday. Thank you Mr. Nikkanen.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas.