40 years to the day of the moon landing and look what we have restored!

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Umm, sorry to spoil the party, but the moon landing was on July 20. The Apollo 11 launch was 40 years, 10 hours and 16 minutes ago (as I type this).

Last edited:

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Umm, sorry to spoil the party, but the moon landing was on July 20. The Apollo 11 launch was 40 days, 10 hours and 16 minutes ago (as I type this).
umm. IIRC, today is july 17/18, nowhere near july 20 and certainly not 40 days past it!

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Fox News said:
Forty years ago Thursday, Apollo 11 blasted off on its 280,000-mile journey, fulfilling President Kennedy's 1961 call to reach the moon by the end of the decade. To commemorate the anniversary, NASA released newly restored video footage of the Apollo 11 moon landings.
Well... it did occur yesterday, but not 40 days ago, surely!

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean "40 years"?
:embarrassed: Please, tell me about living in glass houses again... :p

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Well... it did occur yesterday, but not 40 days ago, surely!
Yes, yes, I meant 40 years (see edited post). The point was you titled your thread "40 years to the day of the moon landing", not launch.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Umm, sorry to spoil the party, but the moon landing was on July 20. The Apollo 11 launch was 40 years, 10 hours and 16 minutes ago (as I type this).
Techincally that qualifies as "to the day" as it is below 40 years and 24 hours ago.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From the article:

In the 1970s and 1980s, NASA had a shortage of the tapes and erased about 200,000 of those tapes and reused them. That's apparently what happened to the famous moon landing footage.

Unbelievable. Unforgivable!

Even if they were just data tapes, all that stuff should've been saved, every bit of data along with teh video and the artifacts. Disgusting. Bureaucrats.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Thank you! This proves to Mr. DaveS that Fox never said anything about fake moon landings!

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From the article:

Even if they were just data tapes, all that stuff should've been saved, every bit of data along with the video and the artifacts. Disgusting. Bureaucrats.

It's the same lack of funding that gave birth to the shuttle (A.K.A. the flying brick, A.K.A. the flying brickyard)

Ark

Reaction score
It's the same lack of funding that gave birth to the shuttle (A.K.A. the flying brick, A.K.A. the flying brickyard)

AKA the flying coffin, as of late...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
From the article:

Even if they were just data tapes, all that stuff should've been saved, every bit of data along with teh video and the artifacts. Disgusting. Bureaucrats.

Andy 44, I share your indignation, its a disgrace these items have been lost, it was a unique event.
Archiving material is difficult, if its not an on-going procedure.
I was involved in getting programs off an obsolete tape format, onto a modern one.
Some of the problems were organisational, we started to get tapes out of sequence, or incomplete series. They varied in time and
type. The librarians had started on one shelf, and just went along it, then onto the next.
We queried this with the one's who were paying, and suggested they send us either the oldest one's first. They were more likely to be
in the worst condition, or the ones that had made most money from over-seas sales. That focused their system a bit.
Then the technical problems, the VTR manufacturer(Ampex) had got out of the broadcast industry, and getting video-heads was
difficult and expensive. Also, the older video-tapes were much more abrasive than modern ones, and the head-life was reduced. It
was only through some ex-employees of Ampex, who put us in touch with a company called SpinPhyiscs(I think it was one word)
that the project continued. SpinPhysics agreed to re-furbish the video-heads, and a good job they did too.
We thought it would take about 6 months to complete, it was still going 18 month later when I left it. Had a few more tapes than they
thought...

That was archiving from a tape format(2" Quadruplex) that was obsolete in the late 1970's to a then modern cassette format
(Panasonic D3).
It skipped 1" open reel(C format), and the component analogue formats(Sony Beta/SP and Panasonic MII).

D3 was modern in 1994/5, I doubt if you'd find many of those machines anywhere now.

Please don't bring up video-servers, I still have nightmares...
N.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was just about to post a thread about the same issue. I noticed that there are some special transmissions in finish television related in lunar landings at this weakend and 21. incluning Apollo 11 movie or document of some sort. There is probably something special happening in Houston as well. So, keep your eyes open.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
At KSC, the have some lunar EVA and other suits and Al Shepard's Corvette. Lots of astronauts are going to be there.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
LRO captures images of Apollo landing sites: :speakcool:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

369234main_lroc_apollo11labeled_256x256.jpg

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Anyone who still doesn't believe in moon landings is an idiot after they see these pictures. Great photos!

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Anyone who still doesn't believe in moon landings is an idiot, now. Great photos!

NO!

They were all photoshopped!!

Everyone knows the real Moon landings were done in an hangar in Arizona!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

*BTW, I am joking. I don't really think they were faked. I DO BELIEVE! ;)