Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
That's just shocking! :blink:

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20110711/165123391.html

Over 100 people missing, 80 saved after cruise ship sinks in Russia

01:24 11/07/2011
MOSCOW, July 11 (RIA Novosti)

Eighty out of 185 people on board of the Bulgaria cruise ship that sank in the Volga River on Sunday afternoon were rescued, while two were found dead and over 100 are still missing, a spokesman for the Russian Emergencies Ministry said on Monday.

Two-decked Bulgaria sank at 13:58 Moscow time (09:58 GMT) on Sunday near the village of Syukeyevo in the Kansko-Ustinovsky district of the Republic of Tatarstan.

"Eighty people were rescued with 79 of them taken to Kazan [the capital of Tatarstan]. Two people were taken [to Kazan] on a cutter and 77 on the Arabella cruise ship that happened to be near the scene of the incident," the spokesman said adding that 13 people were hospitalized.

He also said that currently 223 people, including 80 divers, are involved in the relief operation.

The Russian Investigative Committee reported earlier that the Bulgaria had 179 people on board at the time of the incident, with 76 people rescued and two women found dead.

Pictures of project 785 "The Bulgaria" (between 1955 and 2010 used to bear the name "The Ukraina"):

161526193.jpg

0_6e3d2_9a0db51f_XL

0_6e3d3_e61ec782_XL

There were unconfirmed reports that weather conditions were poor at the moment of catastrophe and the ship sank in just 3 minutes. Speculators blame poor technical condition of the ship, that was recently bought by a low cost river tourism company.

It is (very approximately) here:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215497750135951268169.0004a7c04050eaff09d1b&msa=0&ll=55.439921,49.051208&spn=1.216841,4.22699

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A 56 years old ship, low maintenance, bad weather : all the ingredients for a tragedy... :(

Turbinator

Reaction score
Did they know how to swim?

Reading the title, I tough one of these sank:

carnival-cruise_ship.jpg

anh

Reaction score
Guys, my friend was on that vessel, does anyone know if there will be a passengers list? i need to know ASAP. You can contact me via private message.

Im freaking worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score

Reading the title, I tough one of these sank:

carnival-cruise_ship.jpg
This.
I'm not sure I'd classify "The Bulgaria" as a cruise ship.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure lost at sea almost automatically equals being dead.
But I should stop being such a pessimist, let's hope that most of these people can be found alive.

Ark

Reaction score
How cold is the Volga this time of year?

In 3 minutes odds are people that aren't found relatively quickly probably went down with it.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
How cold is the Volga this time of year?

In 3 minutes odds are people that aren't found relatively quickly probably went down with it.

A weather site says the temperature of water in Kazan is 21 degrees centigrade at the moment, although, I'd gave a lower figure minding that the place is immediately downstream of the Kama, that flows from usually cold Ural mountains.

Still, I think things are turning out very bad: survivors say that the ship capsized and sank during thunderstorm and gale. River shipping administration from Kazan reported that the Bulgaria had a massive overload of people, they say 199 people were aboard during departure. Divers from emergency commands who reached the ship on the river bottom last night find concentration of bodies blocking corridors near bar, restaurant and children playroom. It's that grim...

Last time a catastrophe of this scale occurred on the Volga was in 1983, when the Alexander Suvorov, a bigger cruise ship, collided with a railway bridge near Saratov during passage of a cargo train along that bridge. Few cars fell on the ship, there were 176 fatalities. I remember information about this incident circulating as rumors with very little disclosure on official channels.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not so simple.
First you need to get out of the ship.
Imagine the vessel being hit by a wave, listing to one side then capsizing.
In the first seconds you're in a middle of a writhing pile of bodies if you're in a restaurant, or startled awake on the side if you're in a room.
First case, no chances. Second case - you have to either navigate the corridors outside through the raging torrents or unscrew the windows before the air runs out. Then clear the ship's bulk above in murky river water, and reach the surface.
Even if you started on the deck and into the water, there are still matters if you're sober enough, if the weather permits seeing where the river banks are, if the water is warm enough to swim a few kilometers in, etc.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
The Volga is dammed at this place and river banks are far enough apart, so that you wouldn't see them if you happen to splash into waves in the middle of the river, especially in the bad weather. On TV, they said that lifeboats could not be deployed, the next ship, the Arabella, only found two emergency rafts afloat. Depth there is 20 meters, which is pretty deep for my taste.

Ships of this type were built in mid-50's at Narodny Podnik Skoda Komarno plant in Czechoslovakia. It's presently the oldest type in service at Russian rivers. Speculators say that this projects have fuel tanks positioned far from centerline, and when fuel from one side is consumed, it tends to bank. Probably the skipper did not compensate for that.

The accident was called for: former crew went on strike because past owner refused to pay them a salary. The ship was left to rot on a berth for few years. In the past year, it was purchased by a river tourism company and put to service after a little facelift...

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Guys, my friend was on that vessel, does anyone know if there will be a passengers list? i need to know ASAP. You can contact me via private message.

Im freaking worried.

anh, I'm extremely sorry I didn's notice your message before. The list of the survivors is published here

http://www.mchs.gov.ru/news/detail.php?ID=421691

It is constantly updated.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Some released infographics on the catastrophe (borrowed from gazeta.ru):

1. Location of the accident: happened after departure from Bolgar back to Kazan'. The ship was moving listing to starboard. Distance from the nearest shore 3 km, depth 20 m.
096580e7e8.png

2. Capsizing:

1) The ship departed from Bolgar having one diesel disabled and listing to starboard because of off-balancing filled waste tanks. Portholes were open due to hot weather.

2) A sharp turn in conditions of gale, thunderstorm and harsh wind resulted in flooding of decks along the full length of a ship (other source assumes that immediate cause of the turn might be failure of the remaining diesel and helm losing controls due to power outage)

3) Lower decks were not equipped with bulkheads (wrong, bulkheads were there) and flooding was so fast that the ship sunk in few minutes. Only two inflatable rafts automatically deployed.
049772ba58.png

3. The ship's specs

208 people were aboard, 80 were rescued.

The Bulgaria, Project 785 "Rossiya", displacement 774 tonnes, length 78 m, width 12.2 m, draught 1.9 m, speed up to 20.5 km/h, electric drive powered by two diesels. Passenger capacity 223/140 people before/after refurbishing.

Built in 1955 at Narodny Podnik Skoda Komarno plant in Czechoslovakia. At total, 36 of such ships were built, after the Bulgaria tragedy 3 remain in active service.

d6d2caa156.png

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The German sources speak of "Overloaded ship", adverse weather conditions, the off-balance ship when leaving port and the open windows as primary candidates for causing the accident. The Volga is at such places like a small ocean, not like the calm and peaceful rivers you might imagine. You can on a good day cross the Volga at such places swimming, if you are an athlete. If not, you will even drown swimming in the less wide places.

The question is not, why it sank - there are many options that alone would be enough to sink the ship. the question is: Why did it leave port at all, why so many people onboard and why had been certified as technically in good shape, but not qualified for passenger service just a few weeks earlier. It has the taste of a good corruption case.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
How only 208 people can cause an overload? it is less than 20 tons of aditional weght on 774 ton ship. If less than 20 tons of people moving around can contribute to capsize then design of that ships is seriously flawed.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Operating a cruise ship fleet on Russian rivers is hardly a great idea for business. Firstly, they stay idle more than half a year, chained by ice, but still require constant maintenance and consume running costs. The touristic high season is short, and distance between points of interest is long, especially at rivers like the Volga, the Kama, the Ob, the Yenisey, the Lena. That makes owners either boost their prices to incredible levels (most sea cruises are more affordable that traveling along the Volga from end to end) or seek other business models. For example, turn their river boats into floating restaurants or hotels. This one, for example, attempted to squeeze the last water from this sponge by exploiting an already inexpensive ship at low-cost line with quick turnaround.

Actually, the USSR never built passenger river ships, and surely Russia didn't begin. All the fleet we have are from the former Eastern block countries, and is aging inevitably. It has become difficult for people in charge to classify one junky floating washtub from another by grades of rustiness. This opens much opportunities for little deals between them and owners, you see...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How only 208 people can cause an overload? it is less than 20 tons of aditional weght on 774 ton ship. If less than 20 tons of people moving around can contribute to capsize then design of that ships is seriously flawed.

No, it isn't that easy. The ship maybe weights much more, but a bit a mass more than it was designed for means a lot strong change in the way how it moves in the water. Such ships are designed for much less load (208 people is almost twice as much cargo as designed), and if you already start with list, pushing the center of gravity closer to the center of buoyancy is deadly.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website

She was actually the first ship of her class to capsize in 60 years.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

You would be surprised. I use to sail a 1,500 kg sailboat. 750 kg of that mass is located in the keel, which goes 1.5 meters underwater. And the position of the crew (2-4 persons usually) is essential to keep it's roll angle to 15°, the position where the hull has the best hydrodynamic performance.

On a 56 years-old riverboat, designed and built just after the war under the soviet era, with poor maintenance and exposure to the russian winter (56 winters during which the hull bends then takes back it's original shape under the enormous pressure of the ice), I have no doubt that if the 200 passengers all stand on the same side, during a storm with nasty waves (riverboats, especially old ones, are not designed to deal with waves as they are supposed to float on still waters), the ship can capsize quite easily.

This is a matter of keel. Riverboats have no or a light keel in comparison to sea boats. Also, the shape of their hull is "flat", in order to allow them to sail in shallow waters. This design is practical on still waters, because it allows to carry more people or goods. Also, the ship will not roll.

The problem is, that if serious waves show up (and that can be the case on a wide river during a storm), once the ship exceeds a given (rather small) angle of roll, the ship will capsize and there will be nothing to do to save it. The drawing posted by SiberianTiger shows that well.

With a boat designed to endure sea conditions, like the sailboat I use, but also like cargo, freighters, warships, fishboats, a big angle of roll can be endured without damage. Thanks to the mass of the keel, the ship will naturally tend to keep a roll angle of 0°. The drawback of this design, with motor-powered ships, regardless of their size, is that they tend to roll from one side to the other. This can get terrible when the weather is bad, and the passengers, if any, usually get sick quickly. Modern cruise boats are designed to be a compromise between stability and safety. With sailboats, the pressure of the wind on the sail allows to keep the roll angle on the same side, which is much more comfortable.

This can be extreme. On a few occasions, we got surprised by a gust of wind and the tip of the mast hit the waves (roll angle > 80°). But the ship did not capsize, thanks to the keel that is 50% of it's mass. The real danger is for the crew, that can fall on water since the deck suddenly becomes vertical (it's why you should always wear a life jacket and a safety line on a sailboat) !

In the case of the "Bulgaria", a small roll angle might have been enough. I also suspect there could have been some residual water in the hull, which is the worst thing in these situations.

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Thanks, that clears it up. I didn't really knew the ships designed for rivers are so unstable. I'm more familiar with small sailboats and fishing boats where large angles of roll are normal occourence and happen all the time there is a bit more wind and waves.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
An article that tries to "get to the bottom of it", so to speak.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...rd/volga-boat-sinking-typical-russian-tragedy

Volga boat sinking: a typical Russian tragedy?
Why did the Bulgaria pleasure boat sink in Russia's Volga River?
Miriam ElderJuly 12, 2011 08:24

It is hard to overstate the tragedy of the sinking of the Bulgaria, the ship that went down in Russia’s Volga River on Sunday.

Those that survived – 79 – were the ones who were thrown into the water as the ship listed and sank, or managed to escape into the river in the three minuets before it went under. The rest of the passengers and crew – 126 at last count – were trapped inside the vessel, which one survivor likened to a “metal coffin.” Divers have spent the last two days recovering bodies, leaking grizzly tales of corpses trapped in the boat’s restaurant, its holds, its playroom.

The tragedy is only deepened by the number of children that were on the ship – 59, by last count. Many of them, according to rescuers, remain trapped in the boat’s playroom, as they were gathered there for games in the minutes before the boat sank.

Yesterday, I did an interview with the CBC’s As It Happens about the sinking and they asked me why people are calling this a “typical Russian tragedy.” It’s a good question.

1) Poor infrastructure: Investigators are looking at the boat’s shoddy state – built in 1955, one of its engines was already experiencing trouble before leaving port.

2) It looks like there was corruption involved. The boat was built to hold 120 passengers, according to the latest list, there were 205 on board. And of those 205, 25 didn’t even have their named registered.

3) Money trumps security concerns. (See #1+2).

4) Two ships passed the dozens of people floating in the river without stopping – some even reportedly filmed the drowning on their mobile phones. Prosecutors say they have identified the ships and will open criminal cases against their captains. The explanation I can think of here is a Soviet legacy problem. Russian society is so atomized, on every level, that there really is no culture of helping your fellow man – the exact opposite of what Communist theory teaches will happen following the revolution. That’s what happens when a Soviet system developed that had people informing on their neighbors, on their parents, fighting with strangers for access to food and goods. Getting involved with another’s business could end you up in jail, or worse. It’s an every man for himself mentality – and one that persists to this day.

My interviewer assumed that people were angry about the accident. And some, certainly, are. But, in large part, living in Russia, you assume these tragedies will happen – over and over again. Just yesterday, another airplane crashed – an Antonov-24 carrying passengers from Tomsk to Surgut. At least six people died. This follows last month’s plane crash in Arkhangelsk, which killed 44 people.

Russian leaders then follow the drill: day of mourning, order investigation into company/industry, promise changes. Within days, though, it turns into: wait for the next tragedy to strike.

Nicely put, although I do not totally agree that described alienation, mistrust, and fear of contacting another is purely product of the Communist system. Russian understanding of individualism that helps to strive well in the free market injected into the society by violent Yeltsin's reformers team, contributes to a great deal of it. The author has no idea that Soviet citizens fought not for food, but for goods to put on themselves and decorate their private living spaces and make themselves feel a bit more "bourgeous". Most of them.

Well, at least I didn't leave alone by that beaten up "Gastarbeiter" until the ambulance I called up, arrived at the scene...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Two ships passed the dozens of people floating in the river without stopping – some even reportedly filmed the drowning on their mobile phones.

This is one of the worst crimes that can be commited in the naval domain, with piratry. There's no excuse for that, "soviet system alienation" or not.

The [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Convention_for_the_Safety_of_Life_at_Sea"]Safety of Life at Sea Convention (SOLAS)[/ame] is very clear on that :

... the master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance, on receiving a signal from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance, if possible informing them or the search and rescue service that the ship is doing so."

I don't know what is the russian legislation about this, but in most countries the captains probably would be put in jail, and the passengers would risk huge fines and / or jail.

:( :facepalm:

Last edited: