A Pilot Looks at 40

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
(I could swear I used that as a post title once before...)

Monday, 3/22/2015

There are times in life when you set a goal, and you set out to reach said goal in a certain timeframe, with nothing in your way. Before long you reach that goal with a major sense of accomplishment and pride.

Then there are times when you set out to reach a goal, with nothing in your way, and circumstances beyond your control suddenly force you to delay reaching the finish line.

I'm down this morning, and I just have to write it down. That's the whole point of a blog, right? To share what's on your mind or what you experience?

I got a text from Randy this morning. A text I was pretty much expecting, but the contents were more than I anticipated.

34Q will be unavailable for TWO weeks, not just one, for the new paint job, flying to Mena, AR for the work to be done. That means my earliest opportunity to fly again will be April 6. 11 months to the day since my discovery flight.

My silent goal in getting my PPL has been to get there before I turn 40. When I set out on this journey, I had 11 1/2 months to get there, and only expected it to take 6 of those.

With this latest delay, it pretty much blows any chance I have of completing my requirements and taking my checkride before my birthday (4/30).

I realize this is trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I was still pushing, even though time was already short, and I had confidence I could still accomplish this part of the goal, even if it is secondary. I'm not stopping, by any means. But I'm disappointed that I won't make it before the big 4-0. Even more so because the reasons I won't were all out of my control. Every single delay was something that couldn't be overcome, bypassed, or worked around.

It'll be worth it in the end. I'll get my PPL this summer. I may not make OshKosh, partly due to financial reasons since I now won't have time to save for the trip after I finish my PPL. But there's always next year.

Two Victor Uniform, clear of the active.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Ah, that's frustrating. But surely it'd have been worse if the delay had been something silly on your part, that you could regret now? At least you can take solace in the knowledge that there was nothing you could've done differently.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
First off, TIL you're turning 40. Secondly, TIL you share the same birthday as my late father, adopt me pls.

In all seriousness though, you've done more to reach your goal in 11 1/2 months that many people never do, or take 10x the amount of time you did. Even though you weren't able to reach your ancillary goal, you're well on the way to your PPL and beyond (hint hint HP/TW rating, and getting time in a Mustang hint hint) before you're dead, so I'd put that firmly in the victory column.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd thought about getting a sport license, but then the kiddo come along. 21 years later (here in a few weeks anyway) and she's almost clear of the checkbook (seh graduates in December). I may take another look at it. Another thought is some of the untralights. Some of them actually look pretty sweet, and about all I'd need around here.

I'd gotten some stick time while I was in the service. Bossman thought I had some skill so he put me in the full motion simulator (with the motion on). Did pretty well. Then had me do IFR (which I did really well, those were my instuments after all). I did better IFR than VFR. VFR I may have taken some paint off the ship when I tried to recover.

In Obi-Wan voice; Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I honestly thought a few months ago about getting a little 150 or 152 to finish my training in. I just paid off one of my student loans and am planning to pay off a couple more bills though before I make any major purchases. It's much more tempting with this latest delay, but I'd feel a lot better if I had these other two bills out of the way first, one of which will be gone by late August.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
There's a Grumman Tiger with your name on it out there :p