Meshing Question About Anim8or and adding points to edges

PoiterToi

Reaction score
Hey people,

Recently I have begun to develop my own spaceship. I'm starting at the beginning, so I take a slow place, working from a mesh, to textures, to a panel (which means coding), and finally, animations.

The creation of the mesh is actually progressing quite fine (although slow), but I can't seem to grasp some of the basics of Anim8or.

What I want, is to add a point to an edge, that is part of a face. I can split an edge in two using Cut Edges (Z), but whenever I move or scale that added point, the face is not moving with it, instead staying where it is, as if the newly created point is not connected to the face. With the ability to put extra points to an edge, it's much easier for me to deform the face into the shape I want. Am I missing something here, or doing something wrong? Or can anyone tell me a proper way to add points to an existing edge?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Anim8or specifically, but faces should normally have coplanar vertices associated with them, and with the process you describe, you end up with non-coplanar vertices associated with the face.

I don't know what the command in Anim8or is, but in Wings there's a "connect" command that I would use to re-connect the original two vertices (the edge between which was split). Does that come close to what you want to do?

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am also not sure about Anim8or specifically, but in Blender there is the Subdivide tools. To do what you want to achieve in blender, I would select the edge and subdivide, which correctly splits the face and the edge. There is probably something similar in Anim8or.

PoiterToi

Reaction score
I found it. I was wrong to use Cut Edges, what I needed was the Cut Faces tool, aka the Knife tool. You drag across whatever you want to cut, and it creates points there. Problem solved. :)