Flight Question Acceptable warp factor while staying in orbit

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it derives calculations from astronomical elements, in a more simple and theoretical way. Some factors are probably skipped, like orbit perturbation caused by the Moon, nonspherical shape of the Earth, etc... Very much like it is done in planetarium softwares like Celestia.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it derives calculations from astronomical elements, in a more simple and theoretical way. Some factors are probably skipped, like orbit perturbation caused by the Moon, nonspherical shape of the Earth, etc... Very much like it is done in planetarium softwares like Celestia.

So it's pretty good for long interplanetary voyages to the outer planets.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
What if I change the date in 'Scenario Editor'?
How does Orbiter calculate my orbit (260x260) in this case?

Thanks.
I think the simplest way to put it would be to say that you're changing the epoch of the orbital elements of your spacecraft without changing the elements themselves. It will not propogate the orbit to a future position. Your location over earth may change, but that's only because the earth itself is now rotated differently.

orbekler

Reaction score
What about Scenario Editor date?

Edit:
I didn't see it, already posted.

SuprunP

Reaction score
I've got one additional question.

I'm heading for Mars and I have two space stations (ISS and Mir) calmly and tranquilly orbiting the Earth. During my trip to Mars and back I reckon I'm going to use 1000x which means that my stations will be destabilized somewhat and I might not find them where they should be upon my returning home.
Is this the case and if so then how do you preserve realism?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I've got one additional question.

I'm heading for Mars and I have two space stations (ISS and Mir) calmly and tranquilly orbiting the Earth. During my trip to Mars and back I reckon I'm going to use 1000x which means that my stations will be destabilized somewhat and I might not find them where they should be upon my returning home.
Is this the case and if so then how do you preserve realism?

Thanks.

I think for the extent of the journey you'll have to do as Orb suggested and switch off high altitude drag (you can always turn it back on when you've reached Mars and upon return).

You can also, at some loss of realism, note the stations' orbital states and then despawn them with Scenario Editor, then add them back as you near Earth on your return.

I do something similar with the higher altitude stations in my future history scenario. After long journeys and high time acceleration I use Scenario Editor to "nudge" them back into their proper orbits.

I too look forward to upgrading my machine so as to bring up my framerate to the point where this is no longer necessary...

SuprunP

Reaction score
I too look forward to upgrading my machine so as to bring up my framerate to the point where this is no longer necessary...

May I ask you what point should it approximately be?

Thanks.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
May I ask you what point should it approximately be?

Thanks.

I have no idea, but higher than the fifteen FPS or so I get now in LEO.

Napalm42, what's your FPS and system stats? It'll be something to shoot for.

Jarod

Reaction score
I think the simplest way to put it would be to say that you're changing the epoch of the orbital elements of your spacecraft without changing the elements themselves. It will not propogate the orbit to a future position. Your location over earth may change, but that's only because the earth itself is now rotated differently.

That's not what I understood from my tests. In the scenario editor if you set "Propagate along osculating elements" to Orbital vessel state propagation, you will see orbits from your spacecraft, and all stations and planets be propagated correctly.
The only difference with time warp is that perturbations are not taken into account, that's a problem only for radiation pressure and solar sail.
That could even be used in OMP Project instead of potential time warping, maybe even to resync clients.

edit : I just checked Lagrange points only work with time warping (checked with 10000 x) not with time jumping, as it is a gravitational perturbation there is no center of gravity to apply a defined orbit on.

Last edited: