General Question Addon development without c++ or lua

Jarod

Reaction score
Is it possible to write an addon without using c++ or lua ?
I was thinking about fiddling with Ada and/or Lisp but don't know where to start when it comes to use orbiter sdk with these languages.
Thanks for your help.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was thinking about fiddling with Ada and/or Lisp but don't know where to start when it comes to use orbiter sdk with these languages.

If you write a wrapper for them... which of course would involve lots coding in another language. Face once started working on .net wrappers, but I have no Idea how far that progressed. If they are in sufficient working condition, it should be possible to write an add-on in pretty much any .net language, but I doubt they came far enough.

As it is, why exactly prefer Lisp over Lua? I can't quite see what advantage a labyrinth of parentheses would have over the very simple and clean nature of Lua (although, what confuses me most when writing in Lua is its simple nature... never really knowing what class I got on my hands now is somewhat disorienting for someone who writes only C++ otherwise :lol:)

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
SWIG might be useful. By all means try it - both languages if possible.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Face once started working on .net wrappers, but I have no Idea how far that progressed. If they are in sufficient working condition, it should be possible to write an add-on in pretty much any .net language, but I doubt they came far enough.

Orbiter.NET is sufficient for basic vessels, but that's it so far. No interest and no help in this project basically put it on hold. I only expand it from time to time if the need for additional wrappers arise in OMP.

That said, it is open source and so everybody interested can clone and hack away on it.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter.NET is sufficient for basic vessels, but that's it so far. No interest and no help in this project basically put it on hold. I only expand it from time to time if the need for additional wrappers arise in OMP.

That said, it is open source and so everybody interested can clone and hack away on it.

I could actually make something with C#. But then I would feel guilty about not using(/learning) C++. :lol:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmmm, this may sound really odd, but in learning C++ for orbiter, Ive been wondering if it would be possible to create an "orbiter compiler", a program that could automatically add the external project dependencies for you, and provide relevant code snippets through help. Does that make sense?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
hmmm, this may sound really odd, but in learning C++ for orbiter, Ive been wondering if it would be possible to create an "orbiter compiler", a program that could automatically add the external project dependencies for you, and provide relevant code snippets through help. Does that make sense?

There are already such tools around, though not to the point that they also create all compiler settings for you.