Discussion Addon ideas, requesting input

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am jumping into the world of addon development near the very bottom. I plan to make a few vessels for myself with custom dll's and meshes just to get the hang of it until I am comfortable with the whole process. I have a degree in programming, but have been working in the hardware scene for 5 years and have had to dust off my programmer's cap, so to speak.

I do have at least one goal in mind once my skills are honed to the point I can achieve it. I would like to make the Gunstar from the movie The Last Starfighter. I plan to make the mesh first, then work on a custom dll for the vessel. Initially, I would like to make a simplified model that has four main engines and the necessary thrusters, etc. for normal spaceflight. However, I would eventually like to model the animation of the Death Blossom sequence, minus the laser beams, but including the weapon doors opening prior to engaging. i have a rough idea of how I would implement the sequence, but I will save that until my knowledge of vessel creation increases.

I was wondering how much interest there would be in this vessel, and if anyone has any pointers on my road to addon development. I have read numerous threads on O-F and visited the stickies for addon development resources. I have configured VS2008 Express and successfully compiled the ShuttlePB sample as well as the tutorial vessel from Frankencoder2.

Any ideas for a good first vessel?

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
The Last Starfighter good movie...and good ship model...

gunstar_concept_ship.jpg

It would be nice to have it Orbiter...try to make it...;)
About modeling I use Sketch Up and Anim8tor...
About coding non...don't know...If I find model I'll send it to you...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. I'm trying to get my hands on as many points of reference for the mesh as possible.

I'll be doing the mesh in Anim8or. The interface reminds me of Flight Simulator Design Studio, which I used to use back in my old FS2000 design days. Thought about using Blender also, but I don't have time to learn the interface right now.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks for the links, especially the second one. Some good profile views and close ups of the pylons. Looks like I have my work cut out, but it will be worth it. Might have the mesh done in time for the next Orbiter release, we'll see. Unfortunately my time to work on it is limited to about an hour a day. :(

**EDIT - Found an awesome resource here:

http://www.meshweaver.com/frames/Portfolio/htms/gstar.htm

This is located in his Hobby Work section, suggesting that the mesh is not for sale.

I have emailed the author seeking permission to use his work only as a reference for creating my own.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Excellent. Thanks for the links, especially the second one. Some good profile views and close ups of the pylons. Looks like I have my work cut out, but it will be worth it. Might have the mesh done in time for the next Orbiter release, we'll see. Unfortunately my time to work on it is limited to about an hour a day. :(

**EDIT - Found an awesome resource here:

http://www.meshweaver.com/frames/Portfolio/htms/gstar.htm

This is located in his Hobby Work section, suggesting that the mesh is not for sale.

I have emailed the author seeking permission to use his work only as a reference for creating my own.

at moment I'm working on A380...if you don't find or get mesh when I get done with my project I could start making Gunstar.
These last day's I'm limitet with time too,job duty...let project been in motion...one day you make it. ;)